Windows 10: Replacing my SSD

Discus and support Replacing my SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Currently I am running Windows 10 with a digital licence on my PC. My SSD is only 60 GB an Windows is warming me about low storage capacity.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Johan Kuppen, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Replacing my SSD

Hello,

Currently I am running Windows 10 with a digital licence on my PC.

My SSD is only 60 GB an Windows is warming me about low storage capacity.

So I bought a bigger SSD (240 GB) to re-install Windows 10.

On the support website of microsoft I notice that this might be a problem.

Can I re-install Windows 10 on my new SSD without running into licence issues?

I am using a legal OEM Windows version which is an upgrade of a Windows 7 installation.

I hope you can help me out.

:)

Johan Kuppen, Dec 5, 2018

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Kursah Win User
    SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Replacing my SSD :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Dean W62 Win User

Replacing my SSD

Replacing a dead SSD

Thanks for replying. Since the HDD was labeled as "E" drive with the old ssd will it automatically still be listed as E when I plug it back in? Should I shut the system down before plugging the HDD in?

Dean W62, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Replacing my SSD

1. Replacing my SSD - Similar Threads - Replacing SSD

2. PCI Simple Communications Controller and SM Bus Controller Code 28 after SSD Replacement...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI Simple Communications Controller and SM Bus Controller Code 28 after SSD Replacement...: Device SpecsAcer Aspire E5-473GIntelR CoreTM i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHzI replaced the original HDD with a new Sandisk SSD Plus. After installing Windows 10 through a flash drive using Media Creation Tool 21H1, I found that the drivers for PCI Simple Communications Controller and...
  3. I need help with dual boot after replacing my SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need help with dual boot after replacing my SSD: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T530 with W10 20H2. In the CD slot I have a 2nd disk adapter. I replaced my internal SSD with a larger one using Acronis to clone the disk. The new disk was installed in the adapter. After the clone was done, I replaced the old SSD with the new one in...
  4. SSD Replacement

SSD Replacement: My Refurbished Dell 790 SSD died. Everything on it is gone. Need to get Windows 10 Pro 64bit back on my Machine.. Via bootable USB...Thank you for the help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-replacement/cc449435-295b-47d3-a1ee-5f71cc550400
  5. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  6. Windows 10: What is the easiest way to replace my faulty 2TB SSD with a new one and...

Windows 10: What is the easiest way to replace my faulty 2TB SSD with a new one and...: On Windows 10 my 1.5 year old Crucial 2TB SSD is showing more frequently errors on startup and I have already bought a new 2TB SSD, this time Samsung. The old SSD still boots ok most of the time but I think it is time to replace before its too late. What is the easiest way to...
  7. Desktop PC - Replacing a failed SSD Drive - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop PC - Replacing a failed SSD Drive - Windows 10: Hi, The SSD drive on a desktop PC has failed which was the boot drive with Windows 10. Currently the PC will boot to the ASUS EZ-mode bios utility. It see's the other hard drive which was has files and games plus the DVD/CD drive. If I replace the SSD drive, how doI load...
  8. terrible performance after replacing my HDD with an SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    terrible performance after replacing my HDD with an SSD: hello! I apologize if this is not the right place to post this but i am in need of assistance, as i have just replaced my old HDD with a new SSD, and have installed windows on it, and the ssd seems to work fine but my performance in games has drastically dropped for some...
  9. Wifi adapter problems after replacing new SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi adapter problems after replacing new SSD.: Hey, I'm running a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro on Acer Aspire VN7-791G. It's not a new machine so I decided to boost it up a bit by replacing old WD10JPVX HDD into new Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I got 2 of them. Migrated OS to the one and did a clean install to the otherfor a second...
  10. Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?

Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?: I have Windows 10 installed in an M.2 boot drive that I installed several years ago. l'm experiencing freezes/crashes so am looking at doing a fresh install of Windows OR going back to the SSD I had before I installed the M.2 and started having problems, but I'm not sure...