Windows 10: Replacing my SSD

Discus and support Replacing my SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Currently I am running Windows 10 with a digital licence on my PC. My SSD is only 60 GB an Windows is warming me about low storage capacity.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Johan Kuppen, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Replacing my SSD

Hello,

Currently I am running Windows 10 with a digital licence on my PC.

My SSD is only 60 GB an Windows is warming me about low storage capacity.

So I bought a bigger SSD (240 GB) to re-install Windows 10.

On the support website of microsoft I notice that this might be a problem.

Can I re-install Windows 10 on my new SSD without running into licence issues?

I am using a legal OEM Windows version which is an upgrade of a Windows 7 installation.

I hope you can help me out.

:)

Johan Kuppen, Dec 5, 2018

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Kursah Win User
    SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Replacing my SSD :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Dean W62 Win User

Replacing my SSD

Replacing a dead SSD

Thanks for replying. Since the HDD was labeled as "E" drive with the old ssd will it automatically still be listed as E when I plug it back in? Should I shut the system down before plugging the HDD in?

Dean W62, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Replacing my SSD

1. Replacing my SSD - Similar Threads - Replacing SSD

2. Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?: Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-a-new-ssd-windows-home-premium-using/c1609ff5-6fc7-4367-9fde-644e17bf7d7f
  3. Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc?: Can I install a new SSD Windows Home Premium using ISO as a replacement for installation disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-a-new-ssd-windows-home-premium-using/c1609ff5-6fc7-4367-9fde-644e17bf7d7f
  4. Do I need to replace my main ssd if so, how?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to replace my main ssd if so, how?: My pc froze while updating a game and restarted, only it didn't restart. It took a long time before slowly coming back up. Now I can access most things but I can't get it to open any files. All of the folders I try to open just hang up and do nothing. I have a hunch it's my...
  5. Do I need to replace my main ssd if so, how?

Do I need to replace my main ssd if so, how?: My pc froze while updating a game and restarted, only it didn't restart. It took a long time before slowly coming back up. Now I can access most things but I can't get it to open any files. All of the folders I try to open just hang up and do nothing. I have a hunch it's my...
  6. Do I need to replace my main ssd if so, how?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. EventID 41 Category 63 Crash. Stress tested CPU, GPU and RAM. Replaced PSU and checked SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EventID 41 Category 63 Crash. Stress tested CPU, GPU and RAM. Replaced PSU and checked SSD...: Hello,As mentioned in the title I tried everything I could think of I stress tested CPU, GPU and RAM. Replaced PSU and checked SSD health. Reinstalled Windows while formatting everything and nothing seems to work.I attached one of the latest crash reports from event viewer:-...
  8. EventID 41 Category 63 Crash. Stress tested CPU, GPU and RAM. Replaced PSU and checked SSD...

EventID 41 Category 63 Crash. Stress tested CPU, GPU and RAM. Replaced PSU and checked SSD...: Hello,As mentioned in the title I tried everything I could think of I stress tested CPU, GPU and RAM. Replaced PSU and checked SSD health. Reinstalled Windows while formatting everything and nothing seems to work.I attached one of the latest crash reports from event viewer:-...
  9. im replacing a ssd on a laptop with corrupted files on it is it possible to save windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    im replacing a ssd on a laptop with corrupted files on it is it possible to save windows?: I am going to be replacing the m.2 SSD on a laptop that had Windows 11 preinstalled on it the current SSD has corrupted files on it and the laptop can't be used so I cant transfer everything from one SSD to the next is there any way to get windows back after the change?...
  10. im replacing a ssd on a laptop with corrupted files on it is it possible to save windows?

im replacing a ssd on a laptop with corrupted files on it is it possible to save windows?: I am going to be replacing the m.2 SSD on a laptop that had Windows 11 preinstalled on it the current SSD has corrupted files on it and the laptop can't be used so I cant transfer everything from one SSD to the next is there any way to get windows back after the change?...