Windows 10: Replacing New Hard Disk

Discus and support Replacing New Hard Disk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Motim Win User

Replacing New Hard Disk

Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license /re-validate the windows and office ?Answers will be appreciated.ThanksWidows 10, 20H2 x64, 19042.1165

:)

Motim, Aug 11, 2021
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Replacing the hard disk

Hi,

If you are replacing the hard disk, you can still reinstall Windows 10 by performing a direct clean install using the media creation tool.

For more information on how to perform a clean install. Refer to the Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10
    section on this article.

Note: Performing a clean install will remove all your personal files, drivers you installed, apps, customizations from your PC manufacturer, and changes you made to settings so we suggest that you back up all your important
    and personal files.

While performing a clean install, your product key should automatically retrieved from the system but, in case you are still prompted for a product key during the installation, get the product key in advance (before doing a clean install) by following the
    steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • In the list of results, right-click on Command Prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Enter the administrator credentials if prompted.
    • In Command Prompt window, type this command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    • Press Enter.
    • The product key will be revealed. Copy or write it on a paper.

Also, we recommend contacting the device manufacturer for more information if your SSD is compatible with your laptop.

Merry Christmas and feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Aug 11, 2021
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Aug 11, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

Replacing New Hard Disk

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 11, 2021
Thema:

Replacing New Hard Disk

1. Replacing New Hard Disk - Similar Threads - Replacing Hard Disk

2. Replacing a failing hard disk and want to retain info

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing a failing hard disk and want to retain info: I am replacing a failing SSHD on my HP Pavilion 23 all-in-one computer with a SSD from Samsung. What do I need to do to retain my operating system Windows 10 Home 64 bit and my installed programs. I have already downloaded and stored my files....
  3. Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?: Hello! I have my old laptop Lenovo Y50 non touch since 2015. In the last few years it has really become very slow, especially at the start. At startup it also likes to switch from the lock screen to the password prompt until you can finally write something in. It's...
  4. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation problem after hard disk replacement: I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge. Recently the hard disc crashed and it had to be replaced. The technician retrieved the embedded Windows 8.1 activation key through...
  5. Getting new hard drive replaced.

Getting new hard drive replaced.: Something bad happened to my laptop, and I took it to a local engineer, he told me that hard drive needs to be replaced with a new one. My laptop had windows 8 pre installed when I bought it, and I had upgraded it to windows 10 using the official way, thus it had activated...
  6. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  7. Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD: Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't have the Windows 10 Product key to create an installable USB flash drive. It looks like there may be some non-trivial ways to...
  8. Hard disk failure is imminent! Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!

Hard disk failure is imminent! Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!: Hi, My computer will not retart (Windows 10, upgraded from windows 7). I have the following message: hard disk failure is mminent! Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced! Then I have following options: press F10 for Setup, F2 to Continue. Then when I press...
  9. Hard disk failure is mminent! Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!

Hard disk failure is mminent! Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!: Hi, My computer will not retart (Windows 10, upgraded from windows 7). I have the following message: hard disk failure is mminent! Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced! Then I have following options: press F10 for Setup, F2 to Continue. Then when I press...
  10. replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key

replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key: Hi all, I had purchased a Sony's laptop few years back with Windows 8. then it got upgraded to 8.1. with the release of Windows 10, I accepted a free upgrade offer. Recently my hard disk had crashed due to which I had to replace it. My motherboard had not been changed but I...