Windows 10: replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop

Discus and support replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; W10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041. 329) - Desktop Computer BACKGROUND INFORMATION: My motherboard only has 3x drive connection points: Last year I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xyz, Jul 7, 2020.

1. XYZ
    xyz Win User

replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop

W10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041. 329) - Desktop Computer

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

My motherboard only has 3x drive connection points:

Last year I Installed 500 GB SSD as Boot Drive = 1 connection point

Already installed Internal HDD (still in use) = 2 connection point

Optical Drive = 3 connection point

= all connection points in use

The old (former) 1TB HDD Boot Drive I left inside the computer but not connected (this connection point is now used by SSD). I intended to use this later as an additional storage drive by using the Optical Drive connection point.

ACTION/RESULT:

Today I finally got around to connecting this old 1TB HDD Boot Drive using the optical drive connection point.

However, this did not work out.

I got a conflict notice = told I now had two boot drives connected.

Although the old drive still has everything on it just like it was when it served as Boot C Drive = I am assuming the conflict is probably not this reason = but because the Optical Drive (the connection I am using) is marked in BIOS as (secondary) Start Up Drive (for emergency or something) = and I am now using that (optical drive) connection point.

As I said, I am assuming this is the issue = but do not know for sure.

I have reconnected the Optical Drive (and disconnected the old 1TB HDD)

MY QUESTIONS:

Is my assumption correct?

What (and how) changes do I have to make in BIOS if this is correct (change to what?)

Do I need the Optical Drive for emergency (or is it okay to use this connection point)?

I am assuming I can use a USB stick drive as emergency start in place of Optical Drive (if this is the issue)?

I am also assuming that the old Windows 10 Installation on former HDD drive will not cause any issues = I can just wipe/Format drive once connected?

thanks

(PS. The HDD drive connection 2 - still in use - is some kind of Hot Swap HDD, although I have never used it to exchange the HDD as I don't feel at ease doing this, and I use this HDD constantly)

:)

2. Jerry8A Win User

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Anak Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hi Jerry, you're welcome.

Here's mine after I rt clk'd on my Documents Folder like you show in Scrsht 11:

I'd like to wait until you reply to my question in Scrsht 12, if it is a remnant of the process try deleting the one on the dsktp and see if the one in send to also disappears. If it stays in send to, test it, and if you're still having problems I'd suggest you could go back to: Option One: To Add or Remove Items in Send To context menu for Your Account (current user) and do Step 3 to remove it and start over using Step 4 but be very careful of your steps in creating the shortcut and be sure you d&d that shortcut to the send to part of the address.

I'm busy today and I probably won't be back until the evening.

Anak, Jul 7, 2020
  4. LemP Win User

Optical drive letters keep swapping

Open Disk Management (click Start, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search box, and press Enter).

1. In the lower pane, right-click on your optical drive and select "Change drive letter and paths"
    2. Assign Y: to the first optical drive
    3. Repeat step 1 for the second optical drive and assign Z:

LemP, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

1. replacing optical drive with HDD - Desktop - Similar Threads - replacing optical drive

2. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  3. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  4. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  6. optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  7. Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Drive: Hello, The optical drive on my ASUS all in one pc has stopped working. Apparently, there is a driver error. I have tried to fix/update with no success. ASUS say there is no direct fix available. I have bought an external drive, but this is also showing the same diagnostic...
  8. Optical drive

Optical drive: How do I install and connect the ASUS External slim optical drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive/db20e64f-3402-413d-8948-b95b9dd4eb48
  9. optical drive

optical drive: just bought a new desk top PC. manual shows that there is an optical drive eject button but I don't see it in my PC. am I equipped with optical drive or no? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive/ff81eee5-343a-42cc-b7f8-31d2e4a2b445
  10. optical drive

optical drive: is not listed in devices and wont find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/optical-drive/0fdeeee8-96a7-42b5-801d-ed31c57d2c14