Windows 10: Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version

Discus and support Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Okay, so a bit of an odd question (in 3 parts) Part 1 I DON'T like the new version of MS Paint - where the TAB doesn't tab text in a text box but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ArthurDent, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version

Okay, so a bit of an odd question (in 3 parts)

Part 1

I DON'T like the new version of MS Paint - where the TAB doesn't tab text in a text box but flips around the text box 'handles', nor do I like the acceleration of a selection box when using the cursor keys to move a selected area around the screen.

So, I have a copy of old MS Paint and the shortcut in my Start Menu and
    Taskbar points to that.

Thing is, if I right click on an image file and select 'Open with Paint', it defaults to the newer version because that is sitting in %windir%\System32\mspaint.exe (specifically on my PC in C:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe)

This also means of course, that the version of Paint that is launced from Start > Windows Accessories > Paint is also the new version (I'd prefer it to be the old version)

Is it a simple matter of changing the path to point to the old version - so that when I right click on an image file and open with Paint, it is the OLD PAINT that is run and not the new?

If so, can someone detail EXACTLY how to do this please - the 'old' version of MS Paint is in W:\Documents\Computer Stuff\WINDOWS 10\OLD MSPAINT\MSOldPaintx64.exe

Part 2

I'd like to change the background on the MS Paint icon to a different colour - e.g. purple - for the Old MS paint so that I can see immediately whether it is the old or new version that I am opening.

I have found out that from Windows 10 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update), the icon is stored in C:\Windows\SystemResources\mspaint.exe.mun

This is of course, for the new version of Paint.

However - what is a MUN file and how do I (a) open it and (b) having edited the icon file save it back? and (c) get the old version of MS Paint to use the edited (purple) version of the icon file??

Hopefully some of you folks will know how to do this.

A final question.

Part 3

If there is a major OS update, will it put all the pointers back to the newer version of Paint in things like the Start Menu and Taskbar?

Cheers,

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Nov 17, 2020

2. MS Paint not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to use Microsoft Paint on your PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to check if you are able to launch Microsoft Paint from System32 folder.

1. Press Windows + E key to open
      File/Windows Explorer

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32
    3. Double click on mspaint.exe
    4. If you are able to launch then Pin to Taskbar and
      create a shortcut.

If the issue persists then try these steps.

Step 1: Run DISM & SFC scan

We would also suggest you to run the DISM & SFC Scan tool to check if you are able to launch MS Paint, refer this article:
    System File Checker.

Step 2: Reinstall Microsoft Paint app.

1. Press Windows + I key to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps and select
      Apps & features
      from left pane.
    3. Click on Optional features and select
      Microsoft Paint from the list.
    4. Click on Uninstall. Close
      Settings
      and restart the PC.
    5. Now perform step 1 and 2.
    6. Click on Optional features and click
      Add a feature.
    7. Check the box beside Microsoft Paint and click on
      Install.

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 17, 2020
  3. MS Paint

Hi Tawm,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Press windows key on the keyboard.
    • Type “Paint” & select the paint icon & hit enter.

Method: 2

• Press windows + R.
    • Type “MSpaint” hit enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Nov 17, 2020
  4. dangar Win User

Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version

MS Paint

How would I be able to reload an older version of ms paint on my computer? We are using a program that has conflicts with the new version.

dangar, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version

1. Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version - Similar Threads - Replacing default Paint

2. Can I download or revert to an older version of Paint?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I download or revert to an older version of Paint?: I have been using Paint for some time to do very simple, basic edits which essentially amount to cropping and arranging in a collage. Since i'm really not doing anything complicated, I don't see the point in investing in a better drawing app, however the recent updates have...
  3. OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.: Hi,I have a coding file I was working on that is saved to my school's OneDrive account/computer. In order to work on it at home, I synced my school OneDrive account with my home computer.After doing so, an older version of that file appeared, even though I worked on and saved...
  4. OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.: Hi,I have a coding file I was working on that is saved to my school's OneDrive account/computer. In order to work on it at home, I synced my school OneDrive account with my home computer.After doing so, an older version of that file appeared, even though I worked on and saved...
  5. OneDrive File is replaced by an older version.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File replaced with a older version on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File replaced with a older version on Onedrive: I had a spreadsheet called carton list on Onedrive and on the 22nd of march it got replace with a older version of the spreadsheet. How can I recover the newer copy. I have no backups....
  7. File replaced with a older version on Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File replaced with a older version on Onedrive: I had a spreadsheet called carton list on Onedrive and on the 22nd of march it got replace with a older version of the spreadsheet. How can I recover the newer copy. I have no backups....
  8. File replaced with a older version on Onedrive

9. Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version (Revisited)

Replacing the default MS Paint with an older version (Revisited): Okay, So I have taken a 12 y.o. SONY VAIO laptop, slapped in a new SSD and installed Windows 10 Home (updated to 20H2). I'm trying to replace the (new) default version of MS Paint with an older version as I had one on a previous (desktop) machine and I'm trying to follow...
  10. MS Paint - default 'Save As" location

MS Paint - default 'Save As" location: Hello, I read through a very old post that had the same issue, but no solution. We use Paint a lot for work. We take photos, transfer them to the server folder location we need them. Then open them in paint to edit. Go to Save-As and, being so used to the way it worked...