Windows 10: Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

Discus and support Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First timer so please be gentle. My hard drive failed on my Asus desktop and had to be replaced. This whole thing made me aware of how little I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by edee em, Sep 4, 2019.

1. edee em Win User

Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

First timer so please be gentle.

My hard drive failed on my Asus desktop and had to be replaced. This whole thing made me aware of how little I prepared for such a situation. I had a recovery usb but it was from the date of purchase (2012/13) so I created a new one using my HP laptop. It worked, installing Win10 on the desktop, but I noticed many HP files on my desktop. I also noticed that the computer took on HP power settings and my desktop is now acting like a laptop. I'm sure there are other things running making my desktop a laptop.

Specifically, when I put the desktop to sleep, the computer goes to sleep for a while but after a period of time it shuts down. It requires a restart every time I go back to the desktop. I would like to fix this and I guess I would like to know if there was a way of fixing the Win10 that was installed from the HP laptop.

Thanks

:)

edee em, Sep 4, 2019
  2. JayTeeHam Win User

Reinstalling Win10 On New Hard Drive, current hdd is failing and i need to replace.

Reinstalling Win10 On New Hard Drive, current hdd is failing and i need to replace fast! Backup and restore misses several key files so can't transfer to new hdd.

I need to reinstall my winOS on a new hdd, current hard drive is failing fast! I bought Win8, upgraded to 8.1 free, then 10 free. I can't find Win 10 Product Key Only Product ID Listed In SysInfo.

Can I download Win10 for free somewhere, and locate the Product Key to install for free, or do I have to buy the complete WinOS 10 Pro to the tune of $200!!!? Help Please! Thanks so much!

JayTeeHam, Sep 4, 2019
  3. Tim B285 Win User
    Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

Windows 10, Occasional Error, No Hard Drive, after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi,

System corruption can cause issues detecting your computer's hard drive. For us to properly investigate on your concern, we'd like to confirm the following information:

• On which cases do you receive the startup error?
    • Aside from replacing the hard drive, have you made any significant changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • Have you tried plugging in the replaced hard drive to another computer to check if the same thing occurs?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your reply so we can move forward to resolving your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

1. Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed - Similar Threads - Replacing Win10 hard

2. activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement: How do I activate Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive. I tried windows key and X as suggested and find "no administrative" space to fill in. I have my old windows xp disc with a number on it....
  3. Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive

Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive: My hard drive on my pc has gone bad. I updated my win7 ultimate during major change to win 10. What do I do once I have replaced my hard drive. 124273
  4. Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Reinstalling win10 on new hard drive: My hard drive on my pc has gone bad. I updated my win7 ultimate during major change to win 10. What do I do once I have replaced my hard drive. 124273
  5. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...
  6. User name confusion after replacement of hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name confusion after replacement of hard drive: Recently, my hard drive in my laptop crashed. After a new drive was installed, most of my data files could be restored from the failed disk. However, I now have confusion over my user name. In command prompt, listing the directories under users gives me Admin and Public....
  7. Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...

Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...: Please advise how I can replace the hard drive. I would back up the contents to a flash drive in the USB port, follow instructions in the manual to remove and replace the hard drive, reinstall,...
  8. Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash

Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash: Will this require purchase of a new windows 10 licence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/replacing-windows-10-after-hard-drive-crash/bacebd6e-566e-49fa-85e7-8b0846fc08af
  9. replace hard drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace hard drive with SSD: I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323
  10. Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive: Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure. Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.." As soon as it started to...