Windows 10: Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

Discus and support Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rs1946, Jan 2, 2020.

1. rs1946 Win User

Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't have the Windows 10 Product key to create an installable USB flash drive. It looks like there may be some non-trivial ways to recover a product ID from the BIOS, but I was wondering if it would be easier to create a Recovery disk on a USB flash drive and install from it after I replace the hard disk with the SSD. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

:)

rs1946, Jan 2, 2020
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Replacing the hard disk

Hi,

If you are replacing the hard disk, you can still reinstall Windows 10 by performing a direct clean install using the media creation tool.

For more information on how to perform a clean install. Refer to the Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10
    section on this article.

Note: Performing a clean install will remove all your personal files, drivers you installed, apps, customizations from your PC manufacturer, and changes you made to settings so we suggest that you back up all your important
    and personal files.

While performing a clean install, your product key should automatically retrieved from the system but, in case you are still prompted for a product key during the installation, get the product key in advance (before doing a clean install) by following the
    steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • In the list of results, right-click on Command Prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Enter the administrator credentials if prompted.
    • In Command Prompt window, type this command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    • Press Enter.
    • The product key will be revealed. Copy or write it on a paper.

Also, we recommend contacting the device manufacturer for more information if your SSD is compatible with your laptop.

Merry Christmas and feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Perra Win User
    Hard Rectangular Drive Could be the Hard Disk Answer to SSDs

You're probably right but until SSD's come down to a more reasonable price-level, I'm all for this kind of stuff. Can probably be a perfect stepping-stone from HDD to SSD.

If it ever gets to stores that is *Smile Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD :)

Perra, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

Changing hard disk to SSD: what's the best upgrade mechanism to Windows 10

Hi, I purchased a laptop few weeks ago which has Windows 8.1 installed.

The laptop has a normal HDD which I'm planning to replace with a SSD.

I've reserved the Windows 10 on the laptop. I'm just wondering that is the way to replace the hard disk and have Windows 10 installed on my new SSD?

If I let current Windows 10 to be installed on my laptop (with normal hard drive), and then create a windows backup and replace SSD and try to install the backup on SSD, does this work? This doesn't look right. I think I need a clean installation - but since
    the upgrade is automatic I'm not sure if I can create a setup disk to be used as new for when I have SSD installed.

Thanks for help in advance,

Sia Alavian, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

1. Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD - Similar Threads - Replacing home hard

2. Replacing New Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing New Hard Disk: Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license /re-validate the windows and office ?Answers will be appreciated.ThanksWidows 10, 20H2 x64, 19042.1165 183706
  3. How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home: This is a HP laptop, Model 17z with Windows 10 Home edition. It has a 1 TB HDD which is a 2.5 inch SATA drive, model: WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 I plan to replace with same size 1 TB SATA SSD I also have a "USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Cable w/UASP" which has a USB 3.0 A on one...
  4. How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    How to replace HDD with SSD on Windows 10 Home: This is a HP laptop, Model 17z with Windows 10 Home edition. It has a 1 TB HDD which is a 2.5 inch SATA drive, model: WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0 I plan to replace with same size 1 TB SATA SSD I also have a "USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Cable w/UASP" which has a USB 3.0 A on one...
  5. Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall: Hi, I got my laptop Dell Alienware 15 R3 [Have 3 SSD ports and 1 HDD port] with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I upgraded it to PRO via Microsoft Store in May 2018. It had 2 hard disks -> 1 SSD and 1 HDD. Later I installed an additional nVME SSD as well and installed OS on...
  6. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  7. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  8. Moving Windows 10 Home version from Hard Disk Drive to SSD

Moving Windows 10 Home version from Hard Disk Drive to SSD: Hi, I have genuine Windows 10 Home version which is currently installed on my Hard Disk Drive. Now I want to upgrade my Hard Disk Drive with SSD. I heard that if I set up my SSD and remove the HDD then I will lost my windows 10 version. Is that right? if yes, is there any...
  9. replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key

replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key: Hi all, I had purchased a Sony's laptop few years back with Windows 8. then it got upgraded to 8.1. with the release of Windows 10, I accepted a free upgrade offer. Recently my hard disk had crashed due to which I had to replace it. My motherboard had not been changed but I...
  10. replace hard drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace hard drive with SSD: I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd einrichten win 10 tool