Windows 10: replay of MKV files no loger working after upgrade

Discus and support replay of MKV files no loger working after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I did the windows10 2004 update and after that my mkv files won't play anymore in Media Player, Photos, Movies & TV. Apperently I am not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MIK 963, Sep 3, 2020.

1. MIK 963 Win User

replay of MKV files no loger working after upgrade

Hi,

I did the windows10 2004 update and after that my mkv files won't play anymore in Media Player, Photos, Movies & TV.

Apperently I am not the only one reading questions on the forum.

How can I fix that?

What is done during the upgrade ?

Was this detected during your QA of the upgrade?

What is the reason for still deploying the upgrade as is, if MS knows that this will impact a lot of users?

Thanks.

:)

MIK 963, Sep 3, 2020

2. Problem with mkv Files

Hi,

Experiencing issues in playing mkv files after an update may have something to do with the video card driver. If you have another mkv player app or program, we suggest that you try playing those files using another app or program to help us sort out this
    issue.

If in case the issue persists, we suggest running video troubleshooter. Just click
    Find and fix problems playing movies, television, or video on this
    link.

You may also try rolling back the video card driver. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    • Locate and right-click your display adapter, then select Properties.
    • Select the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver option.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 3, 2020
  3. chuxnz Win User
    MKV files

In 18334
    Can not delete file, move file or delete or move folders containing Mkv files
    Can not delete or rename in CMD or Poweshell
    Any suggestings pending MS fix

chuxnz, Sep 3, 2020
  4. replay of MKV files no loger working after upgrade

Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

Hi. While working at my Windows 10 PC yesterday, I realised there was no sound. My media players gave video only and Avidemux gave a warning “Trouble Initializing Audio Device”. All the obvious checks suggested that there was no problem, drivers were up to date etc.

I went to the sound icon in the system tray and clicked 'Troubleshoot sound problems' which told me it had fixed something but didn't say what. I now have my sound back but with some new issues:

• my WMP no longer plays mkv files
    • my mkv files no longer show a 'thumbnail', just the logo of whichever media player is set to play them.
    Can anyone suggest what on Earth happened yesterday? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've found one or two mkv files that DO work with WMP and show thumbnails(!!). But the vast majority of my mkv's have the highlighted problem. All very odd...

dortmunder, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

replay of MKV files no loger working after upgrade

1. replay of MKV files no loger working after upgrade - Similar Threads - replay MKV files

2. Default app setting not working for MKV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default app setting not working for MKV: HiWhen I try to associate a default app to .mkv files the "Choose a default" option remains grayed.This is annoying since every time I double click an mkv file I need to select the appAny idea?...
  3. MKV file will not play on one PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MKV file will not play on one PC: I have three PCs with the same version of PotPlayer. Two of them will play a certain mkv file, one will not. All will play the file with VLC. All PCs are on the same Windows 10 1809 OS. All at the same patch level. I ran mkvalidator over the file and it says the "file...
  4. supporting .mkv files

supporting .mkv files: Hello, I am an aspiring youtuber that does not have software and uses Photos. recently i have been using OBS studio and saw that Photos does not support .mkv fileswhat obs saves recordings as. I am wondering if you guys could start supporting .mkv files! -thirtymoredays...
  5. Cannot delete an MKV file or the folder it's in.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete an MKV file or the folder it's in.: I somehow downloaded an MKV file that I don't want and if I try to delete it the file explorer program locks up and I get the blue spinner of death forever or until I use the task manager to kill file explorer. I have also tried to delete the folder that the MKV file is in,...
  6. SearchBar on taskbar no loger functions after 1909 update

in Cortana
    SearchBar on taskbar no loger functions after 1909 update: Okay, I have tried everything I have found out here and other places, even the "ResetWindowsSearchBox.PS1" which did not help either. Does Microsoft or anyone have the correct fix?? Thanks, Bob...
  7. mkv files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mkv files: was backing up a bluray disc to mkv using handbrake. some files i could play and others I could not, why? Played back on windows media player. any help would be graciously appreciated...
  8. MKV Files won't play in v1809

MKV Files won't play in v1809: Ok so, i've noticed that v1809 will NOT play MKV files in VLC or any other video player. They work perfectly on my other computer which is still running v1803. Is there a fix? 122139
  9. .MKV files don't work properly with WMP?

.MKV files don't work properly with WMP?: VLC is fine, but why does Windows Media Player have problems? It always closes and says it encountered a problem playing the file. It only seems that .mkv files is the issue. Avi files etc, seem perfectly fine. Anyone else have same problems or a way of resolving the issue?...
  10. Video software to split MKV files

Video software to split MKV files: Hi there I've got a number of DVD RAM (Video-recorder) type RTAV files that I've converted to MKV on hard Disk. These are recorded as a continuous file . However sometimes I have 2 or 3 episodes in this file and would like to break the file up into the constituent...