Windows 10: Report Major flaw/defect/bug/problem Default Apps selection Windows 10 Build 1809

Discus and support Report Major flaw/defect/bug/problem Default Apps selection Windows 10 Build 1809 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10—Build 1809—Update Feb, 2019 —Default Apps Options in Settings UI Where can I report a Major Flaw in Default Apps in Settings UI not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Netverse, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Netverse Win User

Report Major flaw/defect/bug/problem Default Apps selection Windows 10 Build 1809

Windows 10—Build 1809—Update Feb, 2019 —Default Apps Options in Settings UI

Where can I report a Major Flaw in Default Apps in Settings UI not having an option to Open a program on the computer and only going to Microsoft Store for an app?

I have had this problem before. URL is not getting assigned to my Installed browser, and had to use Windows 10 Edge Deflector, to open up my Default Browser, which is Chrome. This to me is the very same concept that MS got sued for back in the day about Internet Explorer.

File is bookmark/internet shortcut, let us say, bing.url . A person can Open properties on it, and assign a program to open it, typically on any file with any extension, however, there is no option for this for a file ending in URL.

When I go to Control Panel , default Apps, redirects you to Settings UI>Default apps section. In Settings, you have Default by File type, by App, and by Protocol. When you try to use pick a program, there only option to pick is Finding an APP in Microsoft Store, for this, and any other extension. And one of these options, By FIle TYPE, only gives me INTERNET BROWSER as an option.

My default Browser is Chrome, and I have to Manually set it in the Registry. What you fail to realize, why would someone go to MS store to get an APP there for the other two options, by Protocol or by App. By File type, doesn't even give me that option, just Internet Browser. I am want to use a PORTABLE Web Browser as my Default app. How can one do that if it doesn't even have an option to pick it. In the OLDER VERSIONS of windows, this was an option, but not anymore. Even after I used 3rd Party File type manager for .url , a URL file would not open in Chrome, but HTML would. URL would only open in IE, and then I disabled IE, in control panel, and Edge Opens up URL files.

Forcing us to use MS STORE APPS as our only selection to search for and assign an app and not allowing us to change the URL assignment either is really pathetic. I am contemplating contacting the news channels so they can report this negligence to the consumer. I have been reporting this and other problems to ms FEEDBACK FOR A LONG TIME, AND MY OTHER COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE OS are now fixed, but it took MS four years to fix them. People should not have to pay, for a Work IN progress, and I mean the RETAIL Version released to the Public for Retail is a work in progress. I consider Windows 8 to 10, a half ass wanna be OS that is lacking in function as their creators are lacking in compentence.

:)

Netverse, Mar 1, 2019

2. Windows 7 Major Flaw

Thanks folks.. i'll give TeraCopy a try.. I didn't even know there was a 3rd party move/copy app to replace windows default app.

mikek75, To me it is a major flaw because this same issue has popped up for years in windows and tons of people like to dote over win 7 being so perfect, and all the bugs from previous systems were fixed.. if not a major flaw then a major oversight on Microsoft's part.

Many 3rd party apps are way better than windows default.. I wonder why MS doesn't get a clue and redesign all their stuff.

I have used Rollback RX and Comodo Time Machine to replace windows system restore, we can all think of better than Windows Defender, and now TeraCopy solves problems of windows move/copy app. I have used windows explorer replacements too.

You know.. someone should start a " better than Windows 3rd party app replacement thread "and list all the great stuff that's out there.

John Phoenix, Mar 1, 2019
  3. bw1101 Win User
    Numerous issues with apps and default programs after Windows 10 Build 1809 (Oct Update)

Just updated to Windows 10 Build 1809 via Update Assistant.

Problems I've encountered:

1. All of my tiles in the Start Menu have been cleared and set to default tile config
    2. Opening links inside Windows Settings prompts "Select an app to open.." with no apps in the list
    3. My calculator app crashes upon start
    4. Setting apps as default crashes Windows Settings

I've tried: A few Windows troubleshoot tools, re-instantiating Windows Store apps, 'sfc /SCANNOW', reset apps, resetting defaults.

Aside from these, I haven't found any other issues. At least my files didn't get deleted, right?

Any tips?

bw1101, Mar 1, 2019
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Report Major flaw/defect/bug/problem Default Apps selection Windows 10 Build 1809

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Report Major flaw/defect/bug/problem Default Apps selection Windows 10 Build 1809 :(

puma99dk|, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Report Major flaw/defect/bug/problem Default Apps selection Windows 10 Build 1809 - Similar Threads - Report Major flaw

2. Windows Family Safety - is it me or are there major flaws?!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Family Safety - is it me or are there major flaws?!: Hi,I have set up Family Safety but one of my children does not have any devices registered to his account. I don't understand how this is possible as they log in every day on this laptop!!Also - it seems that they have turned off the weekly reporting. Again - how is this...
  3. Windows 10 major bug slipped into public builds, caused stability issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 major bug slipped into public builds, caused stability issues: Over the last few weeks, users have reported that a new Windows 10 update bug appears to have broken Check Disk, one of the most useful command line-based tools that Microsoft ships with the OS. For those unaware, the ‘Check Disk’ command can be initiated by both the user...
  4. Ghost selection bug in Windows apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ghost selection bug in Windows apps: Hi. I am recently facing an issue. In windows apps Settings, windows store, photos,... there seems to be a ghost input. For example when I open a photo, it starts zooming in to max, and when I want to zoom out, the slider stutters and as soon I release the mouse button, it...
  5. windows 10 1809 os Build 17763.404 windows 10 default apps not saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 1809 os Build 17763.404 windows 10 default apps not saving: Hi, When I try to set a new "Default App" for a certain file type or protocol (eg: .txt,.Jpg, files) to be opened in, Windows does not save the setting and keeps resetting it to the system default. I have tried multiple ways of applying the new settings: Right click the...
  6. Problems and possible bug/flaw in wifi settings.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems and possible bug/flaw in wifi settings.: Found what I would best describe as a flaw or bug in the windows OS. You can set the IP address of ALL wifi connections under the adapter. But if you go into the WIFI connect properties and try to hard set a ip address instead of dhcp of A access point. The operating...
  7. WINDOWS 10 1809 bugs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 1809 bugs: start menu tiles are resetting to its defaults after shutting down pc . And also full screen mode of start menu is not working after the windows 10 1809 update. Why is that ?...
  8. Default app bugged

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default app bugged: Hi, I accidentally set the Windows's notepad as default app for the extension .sql. Then I have tried to set sqldeveloper and notepad++ but now it is bugged. If I try to open a file .sql, it is shown this: <path to notepad++> "%1". If I click ok, the file is not opened and...
  9. Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Major problem with Cortana and Windows 10 apps: This is what the problem looks like: https://puu.sh/xWnbf/525b09840d.png And I cannot use the search bar on the tray of Windows 10 which makes it very annoying and very hard to use this computer! Cortana is completely gone and I have no idea how to open it or fix the...
  10. Where can bugs in builds be reported?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where can bugs in builds be reported?: Other than the built in feedback app - because it has a bug for me on build 10166 and is just a blue windows with a logo that doesn't provide any means to do anything with it. On build 10166, I'm finding there to be many bugs. Some of them are: - When my PC goes into...