Windows 10: Report reveals why YouTube performs worse on Microsoft Edge and Firefox

Discus and support Report reveals why YouTube performs worse on Microsoft Edge and Firefox in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Google Chrome is undoubtedly the most popular browser across all devices. But more recently Google’s own services often ignore standards and force... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 25, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Report reveals why YouTube performs worse on Microsoft Edge and Firefox

Google Chrome is undoubtedly the most popular browser across all devices. But more recently Google’s own services often ignore standards and force people to use Chrome. The best example is Google Earth that is still blocked on other web browsers such as Edge and Firefox.

It appears that YouTube also “works best with Chrome”. Google employees use Gmail and YouTube on Chrome, so it’s understandable they’d optimize for Chrome but it looks bad if the service doesn’t work properly in other web browsers such as Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox.

Mozilla’s Technical Program Manager claims that Google’s new YouTube design performs worse on Windows 10’s default web browser Microsoft Edge and the popular alternative Mozilla Firefox. Edge and Firefox are the two biggest competitors to Google’s own Chrome web browser.

Chris Peterson, the Program Manager who made the claim, explains that YouTube’s webpages load five times slower in Firefox and Edge compared to Chrome.

YouTube new design uses the Polymer library which is a good thing according to Google but the Mozilla Program Manager claims that Google has purposefully done this so that YouTube viewers will use Chrome web browser for better performance.

“YouTube page load is 5x slower in Firefox and Edge than in Chrome because YouTube’s Polymer redesign relies on the deprecated Shadow DOM v0 API only implemented in Chrome,” Chris explains in a tweet which has been shared by thousands of users.

YouTube page load is 5x slower in Firefox and Edge than in Chrome because YouTube's Polymer redesign relies on the deprecated Shadow DOM v0 API only implemented in Chrome. You can restore YouTube's faster pre-Polymer design with this Firefox extension: https://t.co/F5uEn3iMLR

— Chris Peterson (@cpeterso) July 24, 2018

“YouTube serves a Shadow DOM polyfill to Firefox and Edge that is, unsurprisingly, slower than Chrome’s native implementation. On my laptop, initial page load takes 5 seconds with the polyfill vs 1 without. Subsequent page navigation perf is comparable,” he added in a follow up tweet. “I assume Google has metrics showing that the Polymer redesign increases Firefox and Edge user engagement more than the slow polyfills hurt it. YouTube still serves the pre-Polymer design to IE11 by default so they could choose to serve it to Firefox and Edge too”.

The post Report reveals why YouTube performs worse on Microsoft Edge and Firefox appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 25, 2018
  2. Ffej150 Win User

Performance issues related to Microsoft Edge

Yes, I meant Microsoft Edge will not open after todays update. I tried every step and procedure you listed above, but none of them resolved the issue. Update history reports the update was installed successfully. I could not perform method 2 listed above
    as Edge will not open. it appears for approximately 2 seconds with its blue start page, then disappears.

Ffej150, Jul 25, 2018
  3. Unable to access YouTube websites on Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the YouTube on Windows browsers, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the web pages?
    • Does this issue specific only with YouTube?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

Try the below workarounds to identify what is causing the issue:

• Try to access YouTube in different browser and check if it is working fine. This will let us know if the issue is with the website/ the Microsoft browsers.
    • Also, try to access different website on Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

Try the below troubleshooting steps to access the website and check if it helps.

Method 1: For Internet Explorer

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type
      troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click on Internet Explorer Performance
      and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: If the issue is only on Internet Explorer and to specific website, I suggest you to view the website in compatibility view to check if the issue is confined to compatibility.

Steps to view the website in compatibility view:

• Open Internet Explorer
      and open the website.
    • Click on Gear/ Settings icon at the right-top corner of the window.
    • Click on Compatibility View Settings, click on Add
      to add the website and click on Close.
    • Reopen the website and check if the issue persists.

Step 3: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to access the website in
    InPrivate mode and check.

InPrivate Browsing enables you to surf the web without leaving a trail in Internet Explorer. This helps prevent anyone else who might be using your computer from seeing what sites you visited and what you looked at on the web. You can start InPrivate
    Browsing from the New Tab page or the Safety button.

Steps to open the browser in InPrivate mode:

Open Internet Explorer, press Shift+Ctrl+P
    to open the browser in InPrivate mode and try to access the website.

Method 2: For Microsoft Edge:

I suggest you to check if the Adobe Flash player is enabled on Microsoft Edge.

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions
      (...) in the right-top corner of Microsoft Edge window.
    • Click on Settings, scroll down and click on
      Advanced settings
    • Enable Use Adobe Flash Player
    • Check if the issue persists with accessing the YouTube websites.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status to access YouTube website on Microsoft browsers for further

assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 25, 2018
  4. Ruz San Win User

Youtube wont load in IE or EDGE but does in Chrome and Firefox

Hi Mark,

Let's determine why your browsers are unable to access YouTube. Please answer the questions below:

• Is Internet Explorer using a proxy server?
    • Is your Flash Player updated?
    We recommend you disable the use of proxy server when connecting to the internet. Follow these steps:

• Click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Open Settings.
    • Go to Network & Internet.
    • Go to Proxy.
    • Make sure Automatically detect settings and Use a proxy server are both off.
    Try loading YouTube again once the use of proxy server is off.

We also suggest you update your Flash Player for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Go to this page
    for your reference about updating Flash Player.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Ruz San, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Report reveals why YouTube performs worse on Microsoft Edge and Firefox - Similar Threads - Report reveals why

2. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge: I am using Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and the Microsoft Edge browserFor a long time I used the Firefox browser. I have since switched to Microsoft edge. When I go to use Microsoft print to PDF for an article from the web, it downloads as a Firefox document. How do I stop...
  3. Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube VP9 and FIrefox: A new issue that I did not have before is regarding the vp9 decoder google is using for Youtube. I do not have a new rig but rather an old one. This decoder is now killing my machine when I watch Youtube video. Heavy use of CPU. I do not have the possibility of hw-accl with...
  4. Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

in Windows 10 Support
    Youtube VP9 and FIrefox: A new issue that I did not have before is regarding the vp9 decoder google is using for Youtube. I do not have a new rig but rather an old one. This decoder is now killing my machine when I watch Youtube video. Heavy use of CPU. I do not have the possibility of hw-accl with...
  5. Microsoft Edge - YouTube AdBlock

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Edge - YouTube AdBlock: I use adblock, have always used it, and after the new update I wanted to go from Chrome to the new Edge. Brought over adblock and other stuff from chrome, but the adblock doesnt seem to work on youtube on the edge browser... It works fine on Chrome though. submitted by...
  6. Microsoft reveals upcoming features for Windows 10 Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals upcoming features for Windows 10 Edge: Microsoft has shared the roadmap of the upcoming features and improvements for the Chromium-based Edge browser. The Edge team also revealed that feedback from testers has helped Microsoft to introduce features such as dark theme, built-in Bing Translate, privacy controls,...
  7. Wild rumour reveals why Microsoft decided to switch Edge to Chromium

in Windows 10 News
    Wild rumour reveals why Microsoft decided to switch Edge to Chromium: Recently Microsoft confirmed that they embracing the Open Source Chromium platform for their Edge browser on Windows and other popular operating systems. Most of the internet users have welcomed this move. Once in the ’90s, Microsoft had the dominance in browser market share...
  8. Microsoft Edge speed/performance

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge speed/performance: I've seen several people state that they've noticed that Edge now performs better than Chrome and that they feel like it's faster. I've used Chrome as my default for years and always found it to be lightning fast. I don't find Edge to be slow necessarily, but when compared to...
  9. Microsoft Edge performance and efficiency

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge performance and efficiency: For many people who have almost exclusively used Modern and Desktop IE, do you guys notice that Microsoft Edge consumes far more RAM and much higher idle CPU usage than Modern/Desktop IE? One way to test this is to open cnn.com on both browsers one at a time and observe...
  10. Microsoft Edge beats Chrome and Firefox in new security report

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge beats Chrome and Firefox in new security report: According to a new browser security report, Microsoft Edge is more effective than both Chrome and Firefox at protecting users from some malicious threats. The report, which comes from NSS Labs (via Betanews), seeks to compare the three major browsers and their effectiveness...