Windows 10: Repurposing and old Disk Drive

Discus and support Repurposing and old Disk Drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I need to reformat and old an old disk disk drive. It will only be used to store pictures, videos and music and will not be needed for booting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by OldALK, Nov 7, 2021.

1. OldALK Win User

Repurposing and old Disk Drive

I need to reformat and old an old disk disk drive. It will only be used to store pictures, videos and music and will not be needed for booting the computer.This is a 1 T byte drive and now has a three partitions. I installed this drive in an external hard case. I tried using window disk management, However when I tried to extend a volume. I got the error message; "this operation is not supported by the object".The only thing left on this drive right now are some old system files, which I do not need. In other words there is nothing on the drive that I will need. Everything is

:)

OldALK, Nov 7, 2021

2. HP Disk Drive not visible

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Method 1: I would suggest you first try the Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the Windows Search bar and hit enter.

• On the left side of the Troubleshooting window, click on “View all”

• Click on Hardware and Devices. Please provide a password if asked for it and click ok.
    Method 2:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

• Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.

• Right-click on the Disk Drives and click on Properties.

• Go to the Drivers Tab and Click Enable (If not enabled).

• Restart the computer and check.
    Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Nov 7, 2021
  3. Suupala Win User
    Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Nov 7, 2021
  4. Roan T Win User

Malfunction of 3.5" disk drive in Windows 10.

Hi,

To assist on your disk drive issue, please clarify the following:

• Did you get an error message when the disk drive refused to read the inserted disk?

• Have you tried updating the disk drive's driver?

• What
      other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Roan T, Nov 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Repurposing and old Disk Drive - Similar Threads - Repurposing old Disk

2. Old disks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old disks: Why am I not allowed to access old disks in Windows 10? I'm sure that I on some of them have stored data pictures, documents etc. while having Win 10 as OS. Some of them may be have been initialized in Win 7. When connecting, I just get the message to initialize the disk,...
  3. Old disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old disks: Why am I not allowed to access old disks in Windows 10? I'm sure that I on some of them have stored data pictures, documents etc. while having Win 10 as OS. Some of them may be have been initialized in Win 7. When connecting, I just get the message to initialize the disk,...
  4. Old disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Repurposing an Old Mac Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Repurposing an Old Mac Monitor: I recently received an old Mac monitor for free (photos included). I was wondering how I can connect it to my LG gram 15 laptop to use it as a second monitor. I tried plugging in the USB to my laptop but it didn't work. If anyone has any experience with these kinds of...
  6. Unable to open User file on old disk drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to open User file on old disk drive.: I moved my old C drive to a new computer. I need to get into the Documents file. Now if I select my user name it says "continue" but hangs up.Peter Bresler...
  7. Repurposing and old Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Repurposing and old Disk Drive: I need to reformat and old an old disk disk drive. It will only be used to store pictures, videos and music and will not be needed for booting the computer.This is a 1 T byte drive and now has a three partitions. I installed this drive in an external hard case. I tried using...
  8. Repurposing and old Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repurposing and old Disk Drive: I need to reformat and old an old disk disk drive. It will only be used to store pictures, videos and music and will not be needed for booting the computer.This is a 1 T byte drive and now has a three partitions. I installed this drive in an external hard case. I tried using...
  9. Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Repurposing old Dell Laptop: So I'll begin by saying this is an odd post lol. I've been doing some cleaning and came upon my old Dell Studio laptop. Purchased in 2010 for college, switched to a MBP a few laters because the Dell was nothing but trouble for me. Rather than throw out a still-functioning...
  10. Repurpose a DVR HDD in a PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Repurpose a DVR HDD in a PC: Hi I have a 500GB sata HDD from a replaced TIVO box that Virgin didn’t want back, which I plan to use in my PC. I Have searched for a procedure, one suggestion was to use Gparted to boot then after some selections swopping the boot disk for a HDAT2 boot disk...but someone...