Windows 10: Require password at wake up.

Discus and support Require password at wake up. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 latest update on a new Lenovo laptop. I want it to require a password when I wake it up. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by michael22tt, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Require password at wake up.

I have Windows 10 latest update on a new Lenovo laptop. I want it to require a password when I wake it up. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes, which it does OK. Under "sign-in options", "require-sign in", I have chosen "when PC wakes up from sleep". But, when I wake it up, it does not require a password. I have triple checked my settings and restarted the PC. That did not help. Do I have to close the lid to make it require a password when I return after it sleeps.

thanks.

:)

michael22tt, Feb 7, 2020

2. Enable Require password on Wake up Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest disabling and
    enabling
    the Require a password on wakeup settings on your power plan
    by following the steps below:

• Open the Advanced power settings for your current chosen
      power plan
    • Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link.
    • Set the Require a password on wakeup settings to Yes
      or No, and click on OK.

Once done with the steps, let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, Feb 7, 2020
  3. windows 10 not locking and requiring password on wake up

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concerned. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R, try powercfg.cpl and press Enter.

• Click on current power plan settings and click on Change plan settings.

• Click on Change advance power settings and click on Sleep to expand.
    • Click on hibernate, settings and set the time for hibernate.
    You can also click on current power plan on top of the list to expand.

Click on required password on wake up and set it to yes.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Require password at wake up.

Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Hi Yashwanth Kotakuri,

Thanks for your quick reply. Problems is I have already performed the steps you outline 3 times, (including re-boot), without resolve.

Thus I write here in hopes to find out why.

History, this machine was an updrade to Win 10 from Win 7. In Win 7 the settings were to require a password on waking from sleep.

I performed the steps you have outlined thinking it would overwrite the Win 7 settings however it did not.

In an email received from Microsoft Community on Sun 24/04/16 02:31 stating the same information received from Kotakuri above.

From: Microsoft Community [L: mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: 24 April 2016 2:31 AM

To: L:
    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Subject: Reply marked as answer: Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

I attempt to reply by standard email including attached screen snaps however that email failed.

My reply excluding attachments:

From: David Horton [mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: 24 April 2016 10:25 AM

To: 'Microsoft Community'

Subject: RE: Reply marked as answer: Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Hello

Again I try the steps suggested without success:

* Press Windows key, type
    Power Options and select same from the list.

• This step does nothing more than bringing up the start menu.
    • So I chose Start\Settings then type
      Power Options and select same from the list.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 001.png

* Click Require a password on wakeup
    on left side panel,

• This step brings up the window: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 002.png

* Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
    and under password protection on wakeup, select radio button
    Require a password (recommended)

• This step allows for adjustment and as we see the radio button
      Require a password has already been selected, then
      Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
      Don’t require a password and save settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 003.png
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
      Require a passwordand save settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 004.png

* Click Apply and
    OK.

• I wait for the computer to go to sleep and wait to hear the fan settle down then move the mouse and the machine wakes up without requiring a password.
    • So I go further: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and adjust the Put The Computer To Sleep: to 3 minutes and Save Changes.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 005.png
    • I walk away, make a coffee and come back and check the computer in 6 minutes and still the computer wakes up without requiring a password.

I could not find the answer to my problem in your forum and the links in the email below do not take me to the original
    thread allowing me to answer in the
    thread.

Thus I answer by this email in hopes to find a resolve.

PS: I am not new to computers, windows or mac and I am a qualifies mechanical engineer of 30 years if It helps.

Best Regards

Dr_Horton

Dr Horton_1958, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

Require password at wake up.

1. Require password at wake up. - Similar Threads - Require password wake

2. Windows 10 requires a password on wake up even though that option is DISABLED

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 requires a password on wake up even though that option is DISABLED: So, i have this problem regarding windows 10 asking for my password on wake up, even though that options is DISABLED. And in my search for a fix i saw the following thread:...
  3. Password on Wake Up not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password on Wake Up not working: No matter what settings I try my computer still does not require a password on wake up from sleep. I have changed the wake up option from Never to Require password on wake up and it still never askes for a password. I've tried different time out settings on screen and sleep...
  4. password required after waking

password required after waking: Hi there, My laptop now requires a password after waking from sleep mode, and it won't let me change this, despite me being the admin. I realize this is a security "feature", but it's unwanted, how can I remove this? Thanks for your help!!...
  5. Windows 10 not requiring password upon PC waking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not requiring password upon PC waking: I'm recently having a strange issue with my PC. When it sleeps, upon waking, the PC does not request a password. I then go into account settings and change the sign- in option from "Never" to "When PC wakes up from sleep". The PC will then require a password upon waking....
  6. require password when monitor wakes up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    require password when monitor wakes up: require password when monitor wakes up display is only hibernated not computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-password-when-monitor-wakes-up/7cfcd0d1-253f-4dbe-a8b8-289d282d1b34
  7. No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    No ability to require a password when waking from sleep: I'm hoping someone else has found a resolution to a persistent problem. I have no option available anywhere to require/not require a password when waking from sleep. I have a Windows 10 Home, 64 bit computer (in fact several of them) that is kept up to date with every Windows...
  8. No password after sleep wake up

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No password after sleep wake up: hello what im after is a way to start the computer when its in sleep mode in windows 10 when im not at home so i can use a remote to assess the computer but im getting stuck when restarting asking for a password. im using task scheduler to create task to start with no problem...
  9. sleep wake up with no password

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep wake up with no password: hello what im after is a way to start the computer when its in sleep mode in windows 10 when im not at home so i can use a remote to assess the computer but im getting stuck when restarting asking for a password. im using task scheduler to create task to start with no problem...
  10. "Start up Password Required"

"Start up Password Required": My father is running a 23 inch H-P All-In-One computer running Windows 10, with 8 GB of RAM memory and a 1TB hard drive. Today he called me and told me that he turned on his computer, and a black screen is displayed with a WHITE message box in the middle of the screen. The...