Windows 10: Require password only when starting up

Discus and support Require password only when starting up in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have my Win10 laptop set to not require a password ever. However, I want it to ask for a password only when it is started fresh (not after sleeping).... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by michaeljc70, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Require password only when starting up

I have my Win10 laptop set to not require a password ever. However, I want it to ask for a password only when it is started fresh (not after sleeping). Is this possible?

:)

michaeljc70, Jun 28, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

password required at start-up

Hi Annoyed, as far as I can tell, Windows Automatic Updates has corrupted your user Profile (Account) . . .

DaveM121, Jun 28, 2017
  3. password required at start-up

Press Windows key + R

Type: control userpasswords2

Hit Enter

Uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'

Click Apply then OK.

Press Windows key + R to open Run.

Type netplwiz into the Run bar and hit Enter.

Select the User account you are using under the User tab.

Check by clicking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox and click on Apply.

Sign-out and sign-in again to check if issue persist.

also

Open Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign in options

Click in the Require sign in list box

Choose Never

Also - Open Start > Settings > Personalization > Lock screen

Scroll down, click Screen saver settings

Uncheck - on resume, display log on screen

Andre Da Costa, Jun 28, 2017
  4. Unkn0wn Win User

Require password only when starting up

Hi,

Welcome to Tenforums,

To set your PC to require a password only at startup follow a few easy steps to first set-up a password, and then disable to require password after sleep.

1st Find The Settings App either from Start Menu or by typing it in the search bar (Where cortana is)
    2nd In Settings Locate Accounts

Require password only when starting up [​IMG]

3rd Under Accounts you will see a "Sign-In Options" pane on the left

4th Under Password set a password you want to use

5th On the same page at the top where it says Require sign in.

set it to Never

That should do the trick. If you are not certain that it applied the changes make sure to restart your computer, and report back.
    Hope this helps.

Unkn0wn, Jun 28, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply. I already have a password and pin set. I have those settings already set. It doesn't ask for a password on reboot.

michaeljc70, Jun 28, 2017
  6. Unkn0wn Win User
    Hi,

If your computer doesnt ask for a password on startup or reboot, check if it is set to ask at all,

*Arrow Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

1st Start --> Run
    2nd type "control userpasswords2" in the box and press ok

3rd Select your account from the list

4rd if you see that the checkbox under the accounts icon is empty select it

Hope this helps, again dont forget to restart or turn off and start your pc and report back.

Unkn0wn, Jun 28, 2017
  7. Thanks. That worked perfectly.

michaeljc70, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Require password only when starting up

1. Require password only when starting up - Similar Threads - Require password starting

2. Password on start up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password on start up: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. For some reason, I can not make it require a password on startup or when waking up. I am only given 4 options:Windows Hello Face currently unavailableWindows Hello FingerprintWindows Hello PINSecurity KeyWhy not a physical...
  3. Password on start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password on start up: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. For some reason, I can not make it require a password on startup or when waking up. I am only given 4 options:Windows Hello Face currently unavailableWindows Hello FingerprintWindows Hello PINSecurity KeyWhy not a physical...
  4. Password on start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Require password at wake up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Require password at wake up.: I have Windows 10 latest update on a new Lenovo laptop. I want it to require a password when I wake it up. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes, which it does OK. Under "sign-in options", "require-sign in", I have chosen "when PC wakes up from sleep". But, when I wake it...
  6. require password when monitor wakes up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    require password when monitor wakes up: require password when monitor wakes up display is only hibernated not computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-password-when-monitor-wakes-up/7cfcd0d1-253f-4dbe-a8b8-289d282d1b34
  7. Start up password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start up password: While using Windows 7 on my previous computer I needed no password to get into my computer. Now with Windows 10 on my new HP computer I can't start my computer without a password. Is there a setting so I don't need a password to get into my computer? Thanks, Stan...
  8. Auto Login to Local Administrator when start up the computer without require password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Auto Login to Local Administrator when start up the computer without require password: Dear Community, We have been deployed Windows 10 Enterprise in our Organization through the network. We are currently facing the problem of Auto login to Local administrator user without type any password required event we are already set the password. I have been trying to...
  9. PASSWORD ON START UP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PASSWORD ON START UP: How do I prevent windows from asking me for my password on START UP ONLY? I did not used to have to sign in, but now I am asked every time I start the computer. THANKS...
  10. "Start up Password Required"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Start up Password Required": My father is running a 23 inch H-P All-In-One computer running Windows 10, with 8 GB of RAM memory and a 1TB hard drive. Today he called me and told me that he turned on his computer, and a black screen is displayed with a WHITE message box in the middle of the screen. The...