Windows 10: Required security software

Discus and support Required security software in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all! First time poster here, and over the past six or so months I've been trying to ensure that my wife and I have secure computers. We're behind a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by roblinb, May 2, 2016.

1. roblinb Win User

Required security software

Hi all! First time poster here, and over the past six or so months I've been trying to ensure that my wife and I have secure computers. We're behind a hardware firewall, a Dlink wireless router, so I'm talking specifically about security software that I have purchased and installed on both of our computer(s).

It may be overkill, but this is what I've got:

1) ZoneAlarm Pro Anti-virus + Firewall
    2) Malwarebytes Anti-malware Home (Premium)
    3) Malwarebytes Anti-exploit (Premium)
    4) Adblock Plus
    5) Secunia PSI

I'm also pretty meticulous about making sure that we're up to date on patches, software updates, etc.

I just wanted to run this by you all, and see what you thought. Thanks.

:)

roblinb, May 2, 2016
  2. don att Win User

Is third party virus protection software required in Windows 10?

Does Windows 10 do virus protection or is third party software needed>

don att, May 2, 2016
  3. Is third party virus protection software required in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

What Anti-Virus should I install for Windows 10?

You don't need to install any Anti-Virus program, because you already have one which is Windows Defender. It protects you against Virus, Worm, Trojan, Spyware, Adware and other malicious programs same as what Microsoft Security Essentials is
    doing in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

How can I help protect my PC from viruses?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-protect-pc-from-viruses

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Mohammed Yaseer, May 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Good choice.. I'd like to look at this from a different angle..

What precautions have you taken against
    a. Ransomware
    b. Theft
    c. Disk failure

a. To stop it:
    Download CryptoPrevent - MajorGeeks
    To recover from it:
    Use disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + boot medium + external storage (remote location preferred).

b + c:
    Use disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + boot medium + external storage (remote location preferred).

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  5. roblinb Win User
    I do have Acronis True Image 2016 installed on both computers, as well, with weekly backups enabled to USB hard drives.

As far as Ransomware goes, I was thinking about that. Is CryptoPrevent free?

roblinb, May 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Required security software [​IMG]

but note
    CryptoPrevent Malware Prevention Foolish IT

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  7. roblinb Win User
    Cool, thanks. I downloaded and installed it.

roblinb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Required security software - Similar Threads - Required security software

2. Security software

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Security software: Do these slow down computers?? I am not computer savvy just trying to find out information tky. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-software/9278afad-b138-4178-b6bd-92f941810e0c
  3. Security software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security software: Do these slow down computers?? I am not computer savvy just trying to find out information tky. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-software/9278afad-b138-4178-b6bd-92f941810e0c
  4. Security software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Does Windows10 require antivirus software?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Windows10 require antivirus software?: I have an antivirus(Quick Heal) software installed because I had got a 3-year subscription for a very cheap price. But I have read that Windows10 particularly doesn't require antivirus software and Windows defender is sufficient. My subscription is ending and my laptop has...
  6. Computer security software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer security software: If I have the security apps that come with Windows 10 and they're up to date, do I also need other security software, e.g., Norton or McAfee? What else, if anything do I need?...
  7. Requirement of Additional Security Software!

Requirement of Additional Security Software!: I am using Windows 10 (home) which came pre-installed with my HP-laptop and till date the system is regularly updated with all latest features. Is it really necessary to use any other additional security-software (e.g. Mcafee/Quick Heal/ Avast etc), apart from the in-built...
  8. Software Download Requires Admin Credentials

Software Download Requires Admin Credentials: Hello All, I have a user here that is in a senior position at the company. For some reason, his Surface Book 3 is asking for admin credentials every time he goes to download software. I would like to take this requirement off of his computer. His computer is joined to our...
  9. security/maintenance software

security/maintenance software: I have deleted security/maintenance software off my computer, but there is still some residuals of the software that are interfering with the computers operation. I have searched for the bits that are causing the problem but they will not reveal themselves. How can I find...
  10. software install: Administrative Privileges Required

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    software install: Administrative Privileges Required: Hi All, I just built a fresh Win10 machine. Its part of a windows domain which applies admin accounts. I've updated the machine, and allowed all group policies to apply. I have verified that my domain admin account is a local admin on the PC. When I try to install MS...