Windows 10: Requirements to Cast video?

Discus and support Requirements to Cast video? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Anyone know what are the hardware/protocol requirements to use the Windows 10 "cast to device" feature, from within the Edge browser and/or the context... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mc510, Sep 29, 2016.

1. mc510 Win User

Requirements to Cast video?

Anyone know what are the hardware/protocol requirements to use the Windows 10 "cast to device" feature, from within the Edge browser and/or the context menu? I've got an older Roku and older laptop, and the Windows 10 DLNA server works just fine with Roku Media Player as as the playback-initiating client. But attempting to initiate video playback from the laptop, using "cast to device" in Edge, does nothing. Acts like it's looking for a device to connect to, but then times out.

This laptop does NOT support WiDi or Miracast, but I've read unofficial commentary that Windows 10 casting can use simple DLNA. I've not, however, been able to find any official statement on what is required for casting to work. Anyone have this information?

:)

mc510, Sep 29, 2016

2. Projecting to this PC

Yes... I tried to run the cast just after Windows Anniversary Update...

may I know the minimum requirement for casting ?

my notebook model is HP 15-g002AX

JonesLaura, Sep 29, 2016
  3. mc510 Win User
    Is Miracast required to Cast from within Edge Browser?

There's no definitive information about what hardware/protocols are required in order to use the Cast feature from within the Edge Browser. Is Miracast absolutely required? Is DLNA alone sufficient? Something else? (Please note, I am NOT asking about
    screen mirroring; this question is about the casting feature within the Edge Browser.)

mc510, Sep 29, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Plex works great. There is also VLC.. Microsoft's crippled version of Casting has not really worked out for anyone at this point.

bro67, Sep 29, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Not for anyone? I must be the exception that proves the rule. *Biggrin
    Windows 10 'Cast to...' has worked flawlessly for me to both a Panasonic and Samsung SmartTV - casting video, audio, photos or (my favourite) YouTube from Edge.

6. mc510 Win User
    What I'm really wondering is, according to Microsoft, what are supposed to be the requirements for casting to be supported? I just haven't been able to find this anywhere.

mc510, Sep 29, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    That is because it was a failure from the beginning. Low adoption rate by manufacturers and only Sony was the main one who tried it with their systems, which in turn would have cost the consumer way too much.

Intel developed the tech in conjunction with Microsoft and the Wireless Alliance for Miracast, but it has been abandoned as of 2015.

bro67, Sep 30, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

You have to remember that each manufacturer has applied their own form of Miracast for their devices, which Wireless Alliance will still allow.

What I am talking about is Intel's Widi, which Microsoft did not completely remove that code out of ten, since there are still users who have the Intel chipset with Widi built into it. Miracast is not going away anytime soon. But you will not see Microsoft pushing too hard for it with Windows, because they continue to not look at the fact that almost every home and user today stream online media to their tv's and home theaters.

I have gone from 1st Gen Roku to the NVidia Shield. In between was two other Generations of Roku's, two different Blu-Ray players, 1st Gen Amazon Fire box, the worst being the Matricom G Box Q2. Out of all of them, the Shield TV works seamless when using Chrome Cast and casting from Youtube and Netflix to the device.

bro67, Sep 30, 2016
  9. mc510 Win User
    Yeah, I get that Intel WiDi didn't catch on, and Miracast seems maybe to be a mess. But Windows 10 Casting, supposedly, doesn't need WiDi or Miracast, can do its thing with DLNA. At least, so says the internet. Maybe so, but it's not working for me, and, dammit, why can't I find anyplace where Microsoft says what hardware/protocols are needed to get casting to work?

mc510, Sep 30, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    Casting from Edge was introduce with Insider Preview Build 10576. On it's release, Microsoft said:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...w-build-10576/

Does "any Miracast and DLNA enabled device" answer your question?

11. Bree New Member
    It may not be the Microsoft end that isn't working. My SmartTV has, under its Network options, a setting to turn 'DLNA remote control' on or off. It could be your TV you need to reconfigure, not Windows.

12. mc510 Win User
    Maybe! Just read it a little bit differently; does it mean "any device that is enabled with both Miracast and DLNA"? I've been thinking that it meant "to any Miracast enabled device and to any DLNA enabled device."

mc510, Sep 30, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

There are a lot of devices out there that do not work with Miracast or DLNA. Samsung is one that uses their own proprietary form of casting between their tablet and tv.

Android TV is supposed to start taking over where Google jumped out of the interactive tv & streaming box market. The biggest issue is that it is taking a lot longer for the a/v market to decide what they think that consumers want and what consumers think that manufacturers should offer. Streaming boxes are always going to be the best way to go instead of depending on what is under the hood on a tv.

bro67, Sep 30, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@mc510

IMO although not specifically the answer you want is to use a Google CHROMECAST device (up to full 1080p). You can connect the device to an HDMI slot on your TV and it can be driven either by Wifi or if you get the optional adapter you can also use Ethernet.

I find the device absolutely excellent -- I can cast / stream video from by NAS server (using PLEX media server) or even anything direct from a phone / tablet etc. In fact you will have to as it acts as the handset for the device. Note once the casting starts you can switch phone off etc -- the phone is merely acting as the handset controller.

Only costs around 30 USD - brilliant piece of kit.

The other good news is that the Free android / IOS PLEX app means you can control the whole kybosh from a smart phone -- just remember though on the phone when starting the PLEX app to cast to the googlecast device !!!

There's arguments over whether or not Ms should fix their cast system -- I'm not getting involved in that -- just to say that the googlecast device is cheap and performs absolutely without problem - --I haven't bothered with any of the googlecast's own applications - I simply use PLEX but there are some built in ones too if you use things like Netflix / Amazon Prime etc.

I believe a ROKU stick can also work but I haven't got one of those.

The next generation ofg the google CHROMECAST will probably handle full 4K UHD too --warning though you'll need seriously good wifi to stream those - especially from the Internet.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    Jimbo Google announced around the 20th that the NextGen ChromeCast will be announced on the 4th, along with their competition to Amazon's Alexa, along with their Pixel phone. I imagine that they have something up their sleeve as to what they are going to do after releasing Nugget to finally give users back the CPU and battery on Android devices.

• Chromecast for 4K streaming (to be called either Chromecast Plus or Chromecast Ultra)

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Requirements to Cast video? - Similar Threads - Requirements Cast video

2. Movies and TV casting audio but no video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movies and TV casting audio but no video: I was able to cast both audio and video for a few days, but now its only allowing audio. The app itself cant find the Chromecast but google chrome allows me to cast my screen and then the app only gives audio now. Every other app allows me to cast both video and audio from...
  3. Movies and TV casting audio but no video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movies and TV casting audio but no video: I was able to cast both audio and video for a few days, but now its only allowing audio. The app itself cant find the Chromecast but google chrome allows me to cast my screen and then the app only gives audio now. Every other app allows me to cast both video and audio from...
  4. Casting.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Casting.: My computer has been changed to NBN. Normally I do not have a problem casting from my PC to my TV. Normally a message would say casting to Family Room no2.. The appropriate Wi-Fi connect password was recognised. Today when I wanted to cast to "Stan" I received a message...
  5. Can't Cast Screen To Samsung TV From Windows 10 but Can Cast Video Files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Cast Screen To Samsung TV From Windows 10 but Can Cast Video Files: Hi, i cant use "Connect" on Windows 10 to miracast my screen to Samsung Smart TV (40N5300) -that supports Miracast, Airplay2, DLNA etc and i can connect from all of my mobile devices-. (i can see the TV on connect section, if i click, "connecting to x device" shown on the tv...
  6. casting

in Windows 10 Customization
    casting: cast using chromecast https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/casting/5a0359d9-0f48-4516-90c4-f0bf858a885f
  7. video downloads required to be placed in "Videos" folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    video downloads required to be placed in "Videos" folder: When downloading a video (mp4) using either Firefox or Chrome, regardless of what folder I indicate for saving, up comes a message requiring the video be placed the the "Videos" folder under "This PC". What can I do to force placement in the folder that I select rather...
  8. CAST

in Windows 10 Customization
    CAST: CAN YOU CST TO TV AND WATCH NETFLIX AND STILL PLAY GAMES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cast/2e9d5582-2944-4569-8db9-8125ec930ac6
  9. How to cast YouTube videos from PCn to TV?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to cast YouTube videos from PCn to TV?: How to cast YouTube videos from PC to TV? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-cast-youtube-videos-from-pcn-to-tv/d77cf845-800e-49d3-a6ef-6cf5e25392c7
  10. Casting video from Windows 10: what protocols?

in Windows 10 Support
    Casting video from Windows 10: what protocols?: Hi, I understand the new media player in Windows 10 will cast to a media center such as an Nexus Player or Amazon Fire TV, much like Airplay, but will access local media. Is this a Google Cast (Chrome cast), Miracast, DNLA or some other protocol? Thanks 11240