Windows 10: Requirements to make Windows 10 feel smooth?

Discus and support Requirements to make Windows 10 feel smooth? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The minimum requirements for W10 is 1Ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM, but what are the requirements to make W10 just run smoothly, quick to boot, quickly enter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Plecto, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Plecto Win User

Requirements to make Windows 10 feel smooth?

The minimum requirements for W10 is 1Ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM, but what are the requirements to make W10 just run smoothly, quick to boot, quickly enter the web browser, folders etc.? I just installed W10 on a eight year old computer, but the system is operating like its moving through syrup, but why? I have 2GB of RAM which should be plenty to open a web browser so why isn't it quick as a rabbit? Perhaps a SSD drive would make a difference? I'm mostly just technically curious about what it takes to just make it feel smooth when not running any heavy programs, what the bottle necks are and why?

:)

Plecto, Sep 8, 2016

2. forza horizon 3 crashes on splash screen after 10 sec

Hi,

The system requirements are important things to consider before installing or playing a game on a computer. If you are having troubles launching Forza Horizon 3 on your Windows 10 PC, please make sure that your device meets the system requirements needed
    by the game.

To answer your question, yes, you need to have graphics card and processor which meets the minimum requirements or higher to be able to play the game without issues. To check for the list of system requirements needed by the game, you can visit this

link

Should you have any other queries, feel free to let us know.

Loraine Mon, Sep 8, 2016
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    Black Screen

Thank you for your response. Whenever you are making system changes to fix a problem, we suggest to get into

Safe Mode
    to make those changes. This is a special mode of Windows that doesn’t need anything extra other settings than what Windows needs to boot.

If you require any further information, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Sep 8, 2016
  4. chrismine Win User

SSD will for sure make a difference. I recommend at least 128Gb for OS and programs with data on a spinner. Money well spent IMHO.

chrismine, Sep 8, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Hi Plecto, welcome to the forum.
    What you are asking is pretty individual thing. I find anything with less than than older (4th generation processor), 2 cores, up to 2.5 GHz, 4GB of RAM and slow HDD pretty unbearable even for simplest tasks. It may be just enough for some business and very simple games but that's about it.
    That goes for any computer with above Windows XP. If you have right drivers, W10 should be at least a bit faster than Vista and up.
    SSD makes some difference in overall feel of course but except for faster BOOT and programs start they don't do anything for programs themselves.
    I could say that having enough memory can make most difference. Less than 4 BG of RAM makes it swap to virtual memory on the disk and if that one is slow look out, molasses may look like fast river !

CountMike, Sep 8, 2016
  6. Plecto Win User
    Thanks for the replies *Smile Lets say the the computer in question is just going to be used for playing music, comparing my life to other people lives on facebook, and mine sweeper. None of these programs require a fast CPU and having 4GB (perhaps 2GB is enough?) of RAM should be enough to do all three at the same time, the smoothness-feeling then boils down the the bandwidth of the hard drive, the time it takes for the programs to load from the drive to the RAM?

Plecto, Sep 8, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Those things would run just as well on a phone with much less performance but that would not make windows on desktop look any faster.
    Mine sweeper was made at the time of 386 DX computers and is not going to look and work any different on a top end server. Facebook, except for some badly optimized games on it, can also be used on practically any configuration but open 5 tabs in Chrome and it will eat all of 2GB RAM and practically work of the HDD and swap file slowing it to a crawl.

CountMike, Sep 8, 2016
  8. Plecto Win User

I see. I installed W10 on a different computer with a Intel Pentium G3250 CPU. Still just 2GB of RAM and still with the same type of hard drive, but it ran a lot smoother! The install went a lot faster as well. Maybe the part of my brain responsible for computer-orientation is a bit simple, but this sort of shows that the reason for the syrip-like behavoir of the first computer wasn't caused by a lack of RAM or low hard drive transfer speeds, but rather the CPU being way too weak for even opening File Explorer in a satisfactory way? Would looking at Passmark CPU scores be a good indicator of how smooth W10 will feel, assuming that I don't run out of RAM?

Plecto, Sep 8, 2016
  9. Carsomyr Win User
    In short, yes. It isn't so much the age/generation of the processor as much as it is the quality of it. For the first year or so I ran windows 10 I was using an i7-875k. Ran like butter even though that is an "old" chip. In fact the only reasons I upgraded were 1.) I got a 50$ i5-4570 that was essentially brand new and 2.) I needed a processor with a higher STP for emulation. But just for videos/music/browsing older chips are fine. If it was mid to high end when it was released chances are it will run fine now. If it was garbage then it certainly won't be magically fixed by a new OS Requirements to make Windows 10 feel smooth? :p

Out of curiosity what was the old cpu you were trying to use before the pentium g3250?

Carsomyr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Requirements to make Windows 10 feel smooth? - Similar Threads - Requirements feel smooth

2. How to make your Windows 10 look and feel like a Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make your Windows 10 look and feel like a Windows 11.: Today, I'm going to show you how to make your old Windows 10 look and feel like the brand-new Windows 11.Things you'll need to download:TaskBarXStart Menu X...
  3. Want the feel of Windows 11 but don't meet system requirements

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Want the feel of Windows 11 but don't meet system requirements: Hey!I had a Windows 7 PC that I upgraded to Windows 10 yesteryear. Now that Windows 11 has been launched, I want that on my pc but my PC isn't catching the requirements of the system for Windows 11.I don't wanna but anything special for it. So what shall I do?Please help...
  4. Want the feel of Windows 11 but don't meet system requirements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want the feel of Windows 11 but don't meet system requirements: Hey!I had a Windows 7 PC that I upgraded to Windows 10 yesteryear. Now that Windows 11 has been launched, I want that on my pc but my PC isn't catching the requirements of the system for Windows 11.I don't wanna but anything special for it. So what shall I do?Please help...
  5. Is there any way to make Windows 11 mouse feel like Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to make Windows 11 mouse feel like Windows 10?: Hello!I recently did a clean install of Windows 11 on my PC after updating some hardware. On my previous PC with Windows 10, I had all of the default mouse settings 6/11, enhanced pointer precision enabled.After switching to Windows 11, my ability to click accurately between...
  6. Is there any way to make Windows 11 mouse feel like Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to make Windows 11 mouse feel like Windows 10?: Hello!I recently did a clean install of Windows 11 on my PC after updating some hardware. On my previous PC with Windows 10, I had all of the default mouse settings 6/11, enhanced pointer precision enabled.After switching to Windows 11, my ability to click accurately between...
  7. Games do not feels smooth

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games do not feels smooth: So, the problem is that there is no smoothness during the game 60+ FPS feels like 45, the cursor feels too jerky feels not smoothly, as if there is an input lag, but sometimes I feel like the game is going very smoothly, what can it depend on? I don't have any programs...
  8. Games don't feels smooth enough

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games don't feels smooth enough: So, the problem is that there is no smoothness during the game 60+ FPS feels like 45, the cursor feels too jerky feels not smoothly, as if there is an input lag, but sometimes I feel like the game is going very smoothly, what can it depend on? I don't have any programs...
  9. Windows Builder 10 is making smooth stl surfaces rough?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Builder 10 is making smooth stl surfaces rough?: So I do a lot of 3d design and have relied on Windows Builder for years- but recently when I run a program through Windows Builder it takes perfectly smooth surfaces of the stl and roughs them up with pocks and jags- what gives?...
  10. How to make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7

in Windows 10 News
    How to make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 is arguably one of the significant improvement over the previous Windows 7. Being the latest version, Windows 10 has seen a lot of significant improvements in security, performance, and efficiency. It certainly has lots of new features like [...]...