Windows 10: Rescue data from USB stick?

Discus and support Rescue data from USB stick? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My USB stick is no longer recognized by my PC and all others and should be formatted. When I go to the disk management, the stick is displayed, but in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DrMaang, Jul 28, 2020.

1. DrMaang Win User

Rescue data from USB stick?

My USB stick is no longer recognized by my PC and all others and should be formatted. When I go to the disk management, the stick is displayed, but in RAW format and only with 8MB storage space although it has 2GB. Some data recovery programs like EaseUS or Recuva can't find the stick or can't read the file system. TEST DISK can read the faulty stick but only this 8MB (my guess) which unfortunately does not help me. Should I format the stick into new partitions via the console and then scan it again with the programs and try to get files? Or senseless procedure because everything is already gone anyway?

:)

DrMaang, Jul 28, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Rescue data from USB stick? :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

Brink, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Harry9001 Win User

Gigabyte Mobo not booting from usb

Will try this, I was currently read that article only.

But why didnt the kespersky rescue USB work ?, it was Fat32.
    But I definitely will try the method listed in that article and will then use the official kespersky tool for making rescue disk and try again.

Harry9001, Jul 29, 2020
  5. Brink Win User
    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

Brink, Jul 29, 2020
  6. Harry9001 Win User
    Gigabyte Mobo not booting from usb

Will try this, I was currently read that article only.

But why didnt the kespersky rescue USB work ?, it was Fat32.
    But I definitely will try the method listed in that article and will then use the official kespersky tool for making rescue disk and try again.

Harry9001, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Rescue data from USB stick? - Similar Threads - Rescue data USB

2. How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ?: The basic problem is that I have a Surface Pro 3 that is stuck in a loop trying to uninstall a recent update. It tries for some time, then reboots, then enters the same state. I suspect that there is insufficient free space on the built-in SSD C:. I had thought to boot...
  3. Rescue USB

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rescue USB: Windows 10 home 2004. If I make a Macrium Rescue USB, does it have to be the only thing on that USB drive? Or can I put additional Macrium backups on it too? Thanks, cb 168966
  4. can't access data on a usb ScanDisk memory stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't access data on a usb ScanDisk memory stick: can't access data on a usb ScanDisk memory stick https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-data-on-a-usb-scandisk-memory-stick/6ecce344-10f3-4f28-bf7d-4754c579ab48
  5. Error booting from a USB stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error booting from a USB stick?: I have an 8gb botbar USB stick with Windows 10, when I plug it into my PC and want to boot from it, the message like in this picture appears. What can I do? I can't find the right solution. Thanks in advance! Picture source:...
  6. Rescue USB drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Rescue USB drive: I want to make Thumb drive for an emergency startup in case of a crash. I can't remember how. I'm running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rescue-usb-drive/e466de17-146d-49b6-b346-03cba2067c41
  7. Recover USB stick from Memtest86?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover USB stick from Memtest86?: This is stupid. I created a new bootable memtest86 onto a small 4GB USB stick. All OK. Now it says that it is just a 26MB drive! So I went to diskpart and did a CLEAN. Great, and it shows 4GB unallocated. NOTHING I try, even a Create Partition Primary will then let me...
  8. Where Can I Rescue Data From My USB Pen Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where Can I Rescue Data From My USB Pen Drive?: I got a USB pen drive that is detected but not accessible in windows. Where are some cheap places that I can go to or send this drive to in order to retrieve all its data? 64270
  9. UEFI Rescue USB Sticks - Hirens, Kaspersky, et al

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    UEFI Rescue USB Sticks - Hirens, Kaspersky, et al: I'm looking for a UEFI bootable rescue stick with a file browser, virus scanner and other utilities. Couldn't find a way to put Hirens or Kaspersky on a stick that will boot in UEFI mode. Have my Macrium rescue disk on a stick, but it uses WinPE. Has anybody done it?...
  10. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792