Windows 10: reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions.

Discus and support reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a question. I have a dell inspiron 3542 2 gb ram, 32 gb. Emmc storage notebook. Last month I had 12 gb. free storage. I did the May 2020... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnKeubler, Jun 11, 2020.

1. reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions.

I have a question. I have a dell inspiron 3542 2 gb ram, 32 gb. Emmc storage notebook. Last month I had 12 gb. free storage. I did the May 2020 cumulative security update and it used up 3 gb. of storage. I now have 8.84 gb. free. After June 2020 security update, now 8.24 gb. free space. I cannot reclaim this through disk cleanup or turn off reserve storage. It is not that important right now but I don't have a big emmc storage capacity. The April 2020 security updates did not take up any more storage like the May 2020 security update did but this also included the bug fixes too since I waited to apply that optional update.. Why are these updates taking up so much room and how can I reclaim this room?? Is this going to keep happening every month when I do a security update?? And what will happen when I do the May 2020 feature update. Will it even be able to update without doing a clean install?? Will it eat up all my storage?? This should not since I don't think Windows 10 later editions take up much more room than the current edition version 1909. Can someone help me to understand what is going on?? I don't want to have to do a clean install for every feature update and hope that every month's security and bug fix updates don't eat up all my remaining storage space. I want to have at least 5 gb. free. I should not have to put much more on the computer but I still want as much free room as possible. The computer runs fine for what it is. It is using around 4 gb. of reserved storage. I know that Windows will automatically reclaim space when my storage gets low but I want to control this myself just in case I need the storage. There was an article somewhere on using the command line tool "dism" to turn on/off reserved storage but it does not work for me. Is this a newer feature for the May 2020 update?? I am on home version 1909. When I run disk cleanup it does find around 4 gb. of windows update files but it won't remove them, it just scans for a long time. When I then rerun disk cleanup it does not find any more windows update files to be removed. Is this a bug?? Also my Windows update tells me that my device is not ready for the May 2020 update and to do nothing. It will appear later on. How is this done?? Is it done through an regular update first?? Do any drivers get updated through a regular update first without me having to do it myself. This is a main brand dell computer. John.

:)

JohnKeubler, Jun 11, 2020
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

Why some unaccesible space is reserved in a storage?

Much like qubit said, for powers of 2, yes. But lately you are seeing SSD's with 120GB or 240 GB capacity, etc. They are automatically reserving the extra space, so a 240GB SSD now has the same storage space as one listed as 256. They've just set aside 16GB for wear levelling, etc.

rtwjunkie, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date

Source: Windows 10 and reserved storage | Storage at Microsoft

reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions. [​IMG]
    Tip How to Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10

How to Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

Brink, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions.

Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date

Source: Windows 10 and reserved storage | Storage at Microsoft

reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions. [​IMG]
    Tip How to Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10

How to Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

Brink, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions.

1. reserved storage space and May 2020 update questions. - Similar Threads - reserved storage space

2. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    may 2020 update: how do i install an earlier update in history can only see updates for 2021. i would like to install may 2020 update. could anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/bea25d64-4623-4b77-bb69-772427cb21d5
  3. may 2020 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    may 2020 update: how do i install an earlier update in history can only see updates for 2021. i would like to install may 2020 update. could anyone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/may-2020-update/bea25d64-4623-4b77-bb69-772427cb21d5
  4. Storage space question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage space question: Curious to know why I can’t expand my storage space volume. I have 8X10TB storage space array with parity. I created a 30TB volume initially and now I want to extend that drive to use more of my pool. But it gives me an error saying it cannot be extend because oh the number...
  5. Storage spaces question.

Storage spaces question.: I have a 15TB Array (5x3TB) Mechanical. I have a 512GB 970 Pro NVME. I want to accelerate (cache) the array with the NVME. Is this possible under 10 pro with storage spaces, or any inbuilt method? Asrock taichi X470, 2700x. submitted by /u/korelabs [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 May 2020 Update Storage Space Help

Windows 10 May 2020 Update Storage Space Help: I want to update my Windows 10 to the May 2020 Update via WinUpdate. I have 23gb of space left on my hard drive. Will I have enough room for it? submitted by /u/AstroMan824 [link] [comments]...
  7. Question about Storage Spaces

Question about Storage Spaces: Hello. I currently use a Storage Space configuration in which I've combined 2 1TB drives into 1 storage pool with simple/no resiliency (essentially RAID 0). I'm now running out of space in this pool and was wondering if I can add a single 2 Tb drive (of another brand than...
  8. New Storage space requirements for May 2019 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Storage space requirements for May 2019 Update: https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-may-2019-update-to-require-32gb-of-storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-storage-space-requirements-for-may-2019-update/4bd00528-e880-4fbd-89a6-f718190b5715
  9. Questions about "Storage Spaces"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions about "Storage Spaces": Hi everyone, I'm using Win 7 and use Disk manager to span my 5 HDD's together into one drive. Been doing this for years. I am interested in using Storage Spaces (SS) to gain the benefit of parity. I just can't find the answers to these questions. Thank for helping. 1. Are...
  10. Windows Storage Spaces Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Storage Spaces Questions: Hello everyone, I'm new to Windows Storage Spaces and have a few questions. In Windows 10 Pro, I have an enclosure/pool with 8 drives with a two way mirror storage space that has 1 column, and a 4 drive enclosure/pool with a parity storage space that has 3 columns. My...