Windows 10: reserved upgrade, but now it says my GPU is not approved

Discus and support reserved upgrade, but now it says my GPU is not approved in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have been running win 10 preview for quite a while now and was looking forward to installing my reserved copy. However, I run the upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dch1950, Jul 29, 2015.

1. dch1950 Win User

reserved upgrade, but now it says my GPU is not approved

Hi all,
    I have been running win 10 preview for quite a while now and was looking forward to installing my reserved copy.

However, I run the upgrade and get told my on board graphics chips are no longer valid (approved ?) This seems a little perverse given that I have been running the preview since build 10030.
    Can anyone help me here please?
    regards
    Dave Hickman

:)

dch1950, Jul 29, 2015

2. "Upgrade is Reserved", but where is it?

If confident your hardware is modern enough to meet the Windows 10 Specifications
    including any unsupported OS features, then you can bypass Get Windows 10 app in the System Tray to
    Install Windows 10 using the media creation tool
    choosing the first option to automate the Upgrade which overcomes almost all issues with Get Windows 10 in the System Tray.

However in the same amount of time it takes to download that option, you can choose the second option "Create Media for another PC" to make bootable flash or DVD media to keep for any needed repairs or reinstall, and can be run from Desktop to Upgrade.
    This media also gives you an extra option to Save Nothing during the Upgrade which overcomes Upgrade choking on corruption or bloated factory installs and gets as close to a superior Clean Install as an Upgrade can get.

To run the Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7/8.1, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator.

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, just click Skip or Next.

If you want to maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on and has less problems after install. Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have your
    program installers and any Product Keys for programs like Office.

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

Type msconfig in Start Search box, right click System Config Utility to Run as Administrator. In Startup and Services tabs (after making sure to Hide all MS Services) disable everything
    except anti-virus, any synch, stickies, printer using scan

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender. Bloated AV's like Norton, MacAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special
    Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image of
    your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media,
    Repair CD or
    Recovery flash drive in 20 minutes. Type Backup in Start Search box, in Backup and Recovery
    Center choose Create a System Image. You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free
    Macrium Imaging which allows recovery to any partition position on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered.

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft
    Community

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection. If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner
    Malwarebytes . No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again. I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes and
    AdwCleaner scanners.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 29, 2015
  3. MMofCO Win User
    "Upgrade is Reserved", but where is it?

I have the "Upgrade is Reserved" page for Windows 10, but can't find out where to go to download it.

MMofCO, Jul 29, 2015
  4. reserved upgrade, but now it says my GPU is not approved

Do you have the latest drivers installed for your GPU? As long as the manufacturer offers compatible Windows 10 drivers, then you are fine to upgrade. Most likely, the issue isn't the GPU itself, it's the driver version you have installed.

DeaconFrost, Jul 29, 2015
  5. dch1950 Win User
    I'm not sure how I'd verify that to be honest. What I don't understand is that I've been using the preview for several months on this machine, and now when push comes to shove Windows installer says Nvidia haven't upgraded the drivers. This is patently absurd, given that they didn't throw this up as an exception prior to this. I also have a brand, new all bells and whistles PC, that has failed to upgrade with the ubiquitous 80240020 error - you know - the one where when you click on "get help with this error" tells you nothing and you're left hanging. This whole Microsoft exercise is a shambles and if they are trying to win back customers they've failed singularly to do so.
    Further info: decided to go down the media create route - burned a dvd, booted up and away we go - until I enter my win 7 pro key code - helpfully tells me that "it doesn't work" - who are these people at MS HQ. I shan't bother with win 10 - free or otherwise - load of junk

dch1950, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Without turning this in to a debate, I get the impression you aren't very familiar with OS upgrades. I don't like making assumptions, and could very easily be wrong. The issue isn't with the hardware, it is with the driver version. All previous new Windows OSes would complain about hardware not being compatible when it really means the drivers are for the previous OS, not the new one.

Verifying the compatibility is easy. You should know the make and model of the video card in your system, which seems to be one from Nvidia. Go to their website and see if they have Windows 10 drivers for your exact video card. If they do (and they should), then there's no issue. That error code seems to be a common one, with fixes aplenty on these forums.

Try running the upgrade from the Media Creation Tool, and see how that goes. You are getting frustrated over common issues that happen on release day each and every time. Patience is always the key, but I understand wanting the new shiny OS right away.

DeaconFrost, Jul 30, 2015
  7. dch1950 Win User
    I appreciate your considered reply but It's not the experience of upgrades that I'm lacking - I was writing real time kernel software back in the 1970's based on that great OS RSX-11M. My drivers are up to date (at least according to Nvidia experience s/w) and given that I've been running the preview on the same machine for 3 months - I must admit I'm stumped. clean install on my new PC has it's product key rejected - and just saying this didn't work isn't really very useful. I have tried installing via an MCT created DVD. Key code rejected.
    I've seen this driver incompatibility thing loads of times, but it doesn't usually terminate your installation. If Windows is to be taken seriously again it needs to be simpler to install not more technical - all that does is keep the myth alive that software is for techies. Which, as we all know - it isn't

dch1950, Jul 30, 2015
  8. delsus Win User

Don't use Geforce experience to find the Windows 10 driver, it doesn't find it at first, use the Nvidia website and download the driver there. Install everything and then Geforce experience will be able to prompt for Windows 10 versions.

delsus, Jul 30, 2015
  9. dch1950 Win User
    I didn't use it to find the drivers, I used it to check that I was up to date. Which I was.
    So I'm not quite sure what point you are making.

dch1950, Jul 30, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    I'm probably reading your post too literally, but I believe that the AMD 990FX chipset has no onboard graphics. Your nVidia 750i card is supported for Windows 10.

How are you doing the upgrade? My personal preference has been to have the Media Creation Tool download an .iso and upgrade from that. (It's slightly easier from Win 8.1, which natively mounts .isos.)

bobkn, Jul 30, 2015
  11. dch1950 Win User
    Hi,
    well you are correct on both fronts, I multithread all the time - sorry. I have 2 main pcs - one is brand new and super quick, the other is based around an Asrock AliveNF7G mobo - which , as I'm sure you know has on board graphics based on the Nvidia Geforce 7050 PV.
    Tried windows update , then tried clean install (on main machine) and upgrade on the second. Neither worked.
    I then trawled around and found a registry hack - OSupdate: AllowOSUpdate =1
    Used that and got windows update to play nicely - sat back , let it work and - so far so good. I've just booted up my new PC and it seems OK.
    Still waiting for #2 machine to complete. - but I think it's probably OK.
    My point was that after 30 years of software production, MS should go down the Linux route and chill a bit. the KISS mentality is the right one.
    best wishes
    Dave Hickman

dch1950, Jul 30, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    I'll have to find that hack. Sounds like something that could be useful when the Win 10 installer is being a little too persnickety about drivers.

Linux route? You mean open source? That'd be some pretty serious chillin'.

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  13. dch1950 Win User

Hi all,
    apologies for my rant earlier - I always have high expectations of new software and I nearly always set up a dual boot with a Linux box after coming back down to earth. My newest system installed OK and I'm just playing with it now - as you do.
    The older machine didn't go quite so smoothly - a failed install @ 1:48am this morning. Stuck with it though and re-ran the install - that completed successfully at around 3:50 this morning. Grabbed a few hours kip and got on here to recount my win 10 experience. to you.
    I think this was a bit of a cobble together exercise by MS, in order to get the product out and if it follows the trend of 95, 98, XP etc we can expect a service pack in a few months. Thanks for listening and also your considered replies
    regards
    Dave Hickman
    PS the hack was published by Brink - and may well be on the seven forum - I'll have to check. But it worked and it's an MS original fix.
    I go back before Linux - Unix was being written and PDP-11s ruled the world and I felt great. - D

dch1950, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. reserved upgrade, but now it says my GPU is not approved - Similar Threads - reserved upgrade says

2. How to upgrade to Win 11? Error says Processor not approved, but PC Health says it is

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to upgrade to Win 11? Error says Processor not approved, but PC Health says it is: I have a HP Envy M7Laptop Win 10 Home x64 with Win update 21H2 with an i7-6500 2.6 ghz, 16gb ram, 1tb HD. But cant upgrade to Win 11 -note says Processor not approved but is listed as approved in PC Health. How to upgrade to Win 11?...
  3. How to upgrade to Win 11? Error says Processor not approved, but PC Health says it is

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to upgrade to Win 11? Error says Processor not approved, but PC Health says it is: I have a HP Envy M7Laptop Win 10 Home x64 with Win update 21H2 with an i7-6500 2.6 ghz, 16gb ram, 1tb HD. But cant upgrade to Win 11 -note says Processor not approved but is listed as approved in PC Health. How to upgrade to Win 11?...
  4. How to upgrade to Win 11? Error says Processor not approved, but PC Health says it is

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Listed approved processor but says not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Listed approved processor but says not supported: I have an Alienware computer and ran the PC Health Check app. It says only the processor is not supported but the processor I have is listed on the site of supported processors. What can I do?Intel Core i7-7700K...
  6. Listed approved processor but says not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Listed approved processor but says not supported: I have an Alienware computer and ran the PC Health Check app. It says only the processor is not supported but the processor I have is listed on the site of supported processors. What can I do?Intel Core i7-7700K...
  7. Listed approved processor but says not supported

8. Upgraded Motherboard + GPU. Was told I had Windows 10 connected to account, now it says it...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded Motherboard + GPU. Was told I had Windows 10 connected to account, now it says it...: Hey, so I just upgraded my PC for the first time in a while last one was upgrading to an SSD, in which I also encountered issues with activation, but this time, I checked and was being told in the "Activation" tab in "Update & Security", that my copy of windows was connected...
  9. Reserve upgrade question

Reserve upgrade question: I'm running Windows 7 and am trying to upgrade to win10. I have reserved my copy and have chosen to install with the 'delete everything' option (something like that) in the setup. I'm afraid I won't have it permanently, as the word 'upgrade' is always used. Is this still...
  10. Unable to reserve upgrade

Unable to reserve upgrade: I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10. I clicked on the flag symbol and a box appeared with a spinning wheel and the message please wait. I waited and waited for 2 hours on numerous occasions but nothing happened and now I recieve a message saying "reserve your upgrade now"...