Windows 10: Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

Discus and support Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently got a Surface Pro 3 that belonged to a friend that is deceased. I would like to completely erase and reinstall windows 10? on it. I does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JAXBRG, May 17, 2022.

1. JAXBRG Win User

Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

I recently got a Surface Pro 3 that belonged to a friend that is deceased. I would like to completely erase and reinstall windows 10? on it. I does not work, states missing driver, etc and when I tried the reinstall, the primary partition is bit locked. I am stuck. Looking for a tool that will allow me to wipe and reinstall.

:)

JAXBRG, May 17, 2022

2. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

My first post, so be gentle!
    Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset'

I'm trying to add an attachment

Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner [​IMG]

If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting!
    Would anyone like to suggest what the previous owner(s) have done?
    Also where (which partition) , and how would I go about a factory reset.

Please let me know if this post is in the wrong area and if I've broken any rules or conventions.
    Cheers
    Jack

jackbee1947, May 17, 2022
  3. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore.

• I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults.
    • The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed.
    • Now it is in a reboot loop.

I have tried several times and now it gives an "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work again?

ScottPlatt1, May 17, 2022
  4. Roger Win User

MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

• Clean the metal pins on both the keyboard and the Surface Pro 3 with alcohol swap and q-tip.
    • Performed the standard two button shutdown procedure - Force a shutdown and restart your Surface
    • Update "HID keyboard" device in Device Manager.
    • Uninstall and reinstall "HID keyboard device" in Device Manager.
    • Removed HID keyboard device in Device Driver and manually installed Surface Type Cover device (which later automatically turns to "HID keyboard device" when you hit "update drivers")
    • Updated all Windows 10 patches to date.
    • Tried a brand new keyboard (Microsoft FMM-00001 Type Cover for Surface Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MPJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
    • Updated firmware for Surface Pro 3 (typed in “winver”, took that Windows version, then downloaded the specific patch required here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826)
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 while keeping personal files
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 and deleted all personal files
    • Performed hardware tests on aka.ms/surfacerepair (nothing bad found; all looks ok)
    • Drained the battery most of the way before connecting again - the two times it worked momentarily these last few days was when I connected my new type cover keyboard to the Surface Pro 3 after the battery had died down to below 50%; a simple reboot later, everything stopped working. This user seems to have the same problem with it working briefly when there is low battery - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...pe-cover/52f983c6-2e53-49fa-aac6-7c4cc5d25d9f )

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, May 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner - Similar Threads - Reset surface pro

2. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  3. Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner: I recently got a Surface Pro 3 that belonged to a friend that is deceased. I would like to completely erase and reinstall windows 10? on it. I does not work, states missing driver, etc and when I tried the reinstall, the primary partition is bit locked. I am stuck. Looking...
  4. Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset a surface pro 3 from a previous owner: I recently got a Surface Pro 3 that belonged to a friend that is deceased. I would like to completely erase and reinstall windows 10? on it. I does not work, states missing driver, etc and when I tried the reinstall, the primary partition is bit locked. I am stuck. Looking...
  5. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3: My first post, so be gentle! Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset' I'm trying to add an attachment [img] If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting! Would anyone like to...
  6. Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Support
    Factory Reset for Surface Pro 3: My first post, so be gentle! Just got an oldish Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a 'factory reset' I'm trying to add an attachment [img] If I have uploaded the disk management image correctly, there seem to be more partitions than I was expecting! Would anyone like to...
  7. migration from. surface 3 to surface 4 pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    migration from. surface 3 to surface 4 pro: how do I transfer my programs and files from my surface 3 to my new surface. 4 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-from-surface-3-to-surface-4-pro/2d3ea298-8a56-4a08-9c88-aa942b64dbb8
  8. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  9. surface pro 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro 3: lost admin rights on pc and surface pro3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/surface-pro-3/1fa4e483-afcb-4eec-9f85-15b3b50f064f
  10. Surface Pro 3: No Internet after Resetting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Pro 3: No Internet after Resetting: Hi, I recently has the problem of the Blue death Screen or the Inaccessible_Boot_Device issue with my Surface Pro 3. None of the solution seems to work. It wont enter Safe Mode, it wont recognise the external Clean Installation Media USB drive for reinstallation. Finally,...