Windows 10: Reset all Permissions

Discus and support Reset all Permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I Have an issue with the permissions when I tried to open the file it's showing as I need permission but when I changed the permissions from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PreethiServani, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Reset all Permissions

I Have an issue with the permissions when I tried to open the file it's showing as I need permission but when I changed the permissions from the security tab to everyone it's still showing that I don't have access. I've tried everything but I can't open my file. Did I lose that file permanently?

:)

PreethiServani, Jun 7, 2021

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jun 7, 2021
  3. Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 7, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Reset all Permissions

Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

Bree, Jun 7, 2021
Thema:

Reset all Permissions

1. Reset all Permissions - Similar Threads - Reset Permissions

2. I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...: I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead. After doing a clean install, it seems they’re still messed up, it doesn’t display my SSD capacity anymore but works in...
  3. I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...: I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead. After doing a clean install, it seems they’re still messed up, it doesn’t display my SSD capacity anymore but works in...
  4. I messed up my C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back to...

I messed up my C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back to...: I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead. After doing a clean install, it seems they’re still messed up, it doesn’t display my SSD capacity anymore but works in...
  5. How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.: So I don't have admin permissions on my current account and endless there is a way to switch admin permissions from the guest account to my other account without admin then I could do that. Here is a bit of a log from command prompt. Windows 11C:\Users\super>net user User...
  6. How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.

How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.: So I don't have admin permissions on my current account and endless there is a way to switch admin permissions from the guest account to my other account without admin then I could do that. Here is a bit of a log from command prompt. Windows 11C:\Users\super>net user User...
  7. Cant reset or factory reset my computer due to not having admin permission windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant reset or factory reset my computer due to not having admin permission windows 11: So I cant factory reset my computer. I don't have admin permissions and I contacted MSI support people i bought pc from they told me to factory reset but I can't without permissions. I run windows 11 and I am pretty sure this is the only account I have. I just need to know...
  8. Cant reset or factory reset my computer due to not having admin permission windows 11

Cant reset or factory reset my computer due to not having admin permission windows 11: So I cant factory reset my computer. I don't have admin permissions and I contacted MSI support people i bought pc from they told me to factory reset but I can't without permissions. I run windows 11 and I am pretty sure this is the only account I have. I just need to know...
  9. Help, my computer keeps factory resetting without my permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help, my computer keeps factory resetting without my permission: hello. i am constantly busy on my computer and i do a lot of work that i can not afford to lose. every now and then my computer will crash and then go to this screen. now usually i just follow the instructions and say “i dont have a product key” and i have to redownload...
  10. Help, my computer keeps factory resetting without my permission

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help, my computer keeps factory resetting without my permission: hello. i am constantly busy on my computer and i do a lot of work that i can not afford to lose. every now and then my computer will crash and then go to this screen. now usually i just follow the instructions and say “i dont have a product key” and i have to redownload...