Windows 10: Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs

Discus and support Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is it possible to reset the folder view settings and column widths in the Open and Save dialogs? I know how to do this in Explorer but can't find info... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HarryMuscle, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs

Is it possible to reset the folder view settings and column widths in the Open and Save dialogs? I know how to do this in Explorer but can't find info that actually works for the open and save dialogs. According to several sites it should be just a matter of deleting the following registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDOpen HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDSave

but even after a reboot the folder view settings (Details, Large Icons, etc) and the column widths are the same as before and not reset.

submitted by /u/HarryMuscle
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HarryMuscle, Mar 25, 2020

2. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

I went through all of the above steps, but sadly this doesn't work when viewing folders in *list* view. Any idea how to adjust the column widths there?

Up until a couple of months ago the column widths were always simply equal to the longest name in the column or the longest name in the folder. Now there is a couple of extra centimetres in there for no discernible reason.

RichLehmann, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

You can manually adjust the widths for each by placing your mouse cursor on the line separating each detail and you will see a > I or + <, then hold down left mouse button and slide left or right.

Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs cbabfe73-3c33-4661-8819-714bba632542?upload=true.jpg

seahawks65, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Paola Gar Win User

Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs

File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a default view)

Hi,

To clarify your concern, we'd like to know if you're trying to change the width of all columns to fit their contents in a folder. If yes, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open the folder with a details layout view that you want to change the width of columns to fit.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Click on Size all columns to fit in the ribbon.

Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs eeea339d-a1e0-4522-afe3-31f32bb87c65.jpg

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs

1. Reset Folder View Settings and Column Widths in Open and Save Dialogs - Similar Threads - Reset Folder View

2. View settings for This PC in Save Dialogs

in Windows 10 Customization
    View settings for This PC in Save Dialogs: Windows 10 20H2 I'm looking for a registry setting to change the default view for "This PC" in Save dialogs, since Explorer ignores changes to the view in that context. Just to be clear, there is no issue if I open "This PC" from the desktop and change the view. In the...
  3. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  4. How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I set default column widths in file save/open dialogs?: I know how to "Apply to Folders" to set column widths for folders in Explorer. But how do I do the same for file save/open dialogs? I can change individual folders, and those changes seem to be persistent (though sometimes after the second or third try). But I can't seem to...
  5. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...
  6. Automatically jump to folder in Open and Save dialog boxes

Automatically jump to folder in Open and Save dialog boxes: Earlier this year after updating Windows there was a neat feature that when a Save or Open/Import dialog box in a program opened that I could click an open Windows Explorer window and the dialog box would automatically jump to the same directory. This saved me a lot of time...
  7. Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files: I have a lot of files stored on a flash drive in briefcases. However, the open/save as dialogs do not display all available folders. Why is that? What can I do to correct this major headache?...
  8. Favorites/Folders column viewing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Favorites/Folders column viewing: I am trying to have my Favorites/Folders column to be already open and viewable when I open my Outlook inbox mail. The above column also shows all the folders I have composed, etc. I would like it to stay open all the time. Right now my inbox mail list takes up the whole...
  9. Third column added to folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Third column added to folder view: I don't know if this is something new or if I just never had it happen to me before. When I open a folder with songs listed, a third column is being created on the right side. It has the artist, title at the top, an icon to represent the song, then the same list of properties...
  10. Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing: I tried to do a search but it didn't come up with much. Have you guys seen an issue where the Save/SaveAs/Open dialogs don't open and instead the app crashes? I've seen it in Notepad, Paint and Word. If I kill all explorer.exe processes, and then launch for example Notepad...