Windows 10: Reset or remove imported startlayout.xml

Discus and support Reset or remove imported startlayout.xml in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. W10 1709. How can I remove imported startlayour.xml in order to enable the user could pin and unpin apps. Starlayour has been imported in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BeaverAway, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Reset or remove imported startlayout.xml

Hello.

W10 1709. How can I remove imported startlayour.xml in order to enable the user could pin and unpin apps. Starlayour has been imported in tasksequence, when imaging, is not being applied by gpo.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

:)

BeaverAway, Dec 17, 2019
  2. Bob.Taves Win User

Using "Import-StartLayout" to customize the Start Menu for Windows 10 Pro build 1709 (XML)

I've been trying all day to find the arcane formula that is needed to make this actually work but have not had any success. I'm trying to customize the new user Start Menu using the "Import-StartLayout" PowerShell tool. I need to include pinned items for
    "Documents", "Pictures", "Music" and "Devices and Printers" (all of these are .lnk files).

I started by building the Start Menu I needed then used "Export-StartLayout" to generate the XML. The exported XML looks fine and I get no errors at all when importing it. Logging in with a new user will show some of the items from the custom Start Menu
    but none of the links I mentioned above. The spaces where those links should appear are just blank. I've even simplified the XML to only include the links above and that causes the new user to see no pinned tiles at all; only the primary Start Menu. Here is
    the simplified XML that results in no pinned items:

<LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">

<LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />

<DefaultLayoutOverride>

<StartLayoutCollection>

<defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6">

<start:Group Name="">

<startReset or remove imported startlayout.xml :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Documents.lnk" />

<startReset or remove imported startlayout.xml :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Music.lnk" />

<startReset or remove imported startlayout.xml :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Pictures.lnk" />

</start:Group>

</defaultlayout:StartLayout>

</StartLayoutCollection>

</DefaultLayoutOverride>

</LayoutModificationTemplate>

In this example I've copied the .lnk files into "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" but I've also tried them in a dozen other locations all with the same result. The paths are valid for the new user because after login I can copy/paste
    them into "Run" and it will open the correct folder (Pictures, Music, etc).

Has anyone successfully added these links to a customized Start Menu with build 1709 using XML applied with "Import-StartLayout"? If so, could you answer the following (please be exact/precise):

• What does your XML look like?
    • Where did you place the .lnk files?
    • Did you create the .lnk files for Pictures, Music, etc or copy them from another starting location?

Bob.Taves, Dec 17, 2019
  3. TMH
    TMH Win User
    Import-StartLayout doesn't change anything

I'm trying to create a layout template on Windows 10 using the Export/Import-StartLayout commands.

Here's what I've done.

1. Open an admin PowerShell window.
    2. Run Export-StartLayout -Path layout.xml.
    3. Unpin some tiles from my start menu
    4. Run Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath layout.xml -MountPath C:\

When I look at my start menu now, the tiles I remove haven't come back. The Import command gives me no errors.

Am I using the commands wrong? Is there something else I need to do before/afterwards?

Here's the contents of layout.xml

4. Nocturno Win User

Reset or remove imported startlayout.xml

Remove live tiles via GPO Win 10 Pro

Hello,

I am stuck.

I have created a customized start screen .xml with the export-startlayout command.

I placed the file in a share, I configured the GPO to import that .xml file.

When I log in, I get the two groups I specified, but, the two default live tile groups are still there. 'Life at a glance' and 'Play and Explore'

I found the steps here:
    Customize Windows 10 Start with Group Policy (Windows 10)

But I must be missing something, as I don't want to have to go to each machine to remove these groups after I install Win 10 on all of the workstations.

Thank you.

Nocturno, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Reset or remove imported startlayout.xml

1. Reset or remove imported startlayout.xml - Similar Threads - Reset remove imported

2. Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file: Hi, I've been trying to set up a startlayout xml file to set my taskbar the way I want it to be set. I've created the xml file following this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarIt partially works, I'm able to pin Chrome,...
  3. Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file: Hi, I've been trying to set up a startlayout xml file to set my taskbar the way I want it to be set. I've created the xml file following this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarIt partially works, I'm able to pin Chrome,...
  4. Microsoft Office apps not pinning to taskbar from startlayout xml file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. PowerShell Import-StartLayout

PowerShell Import-StartLayout: I'm using Import-StartLayout to automatically pin certain apps to the taskbar for new users on my machine. It works as in the apps are pinned, but if I pin a new app to the taskbar, they move upon logging off and back in. I was wondering if there was a way to stop this from...
  6. Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Location of the imported Default Application Associations .xml file?: Hi, there is a command to export and import default app associations in Windows: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml" Dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:"F:\AppAssociations.xml" There's also a very similar way of exporting and...
  7. Cannot reset windows & XML Oceanreef Malware attack

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot reset windows & XML Oceanreef Malware attack: Hi, I have been facing issues with my windows recently. It began with my 'Chrome' displaying a 'Your browser is managed by your organisation' message. I removed the unwanted software I found on 'Add or Remove Programs' list. It didn't resolve the issue. I went ahead and...
  8. StartLayout XML file missing last section

StartLayout XML file missing last section: Run as PowerShell Administrator: PS C:\Windows\system32> Export-StartLayout -Path "D:\Custom_StartLayout.xml" When I open the xml file the last group "More Readers" is completely missing. All else looks okay. [ATTACH] Here is the beginning code, first group, last group...
  9. xml

xml: what is xml and how can I modify it. My windows media player was working alright then it stopped. When I did troubleshooting, I was told a software has changed the XML to SXL. Any help?...
  10. Export-Startlayout cmdlet lacks [-As BIN|XML] parameter on my system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Export-Startlayout cmdlet lacks [-As BIN|XML] parameter on my system: Hi! I'm trying to export start menu to bin file but Export-StartLayout -Path "C:\Marketing.bin" -As BIN says: Code: Export-StartLayout : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'As'.AT line:1 char:45 + Export-StartLayout -Path "C:\Marketing.BIN" -As BIN +...