Windows 10: Reset PC without deleting personal files

Discus and support Reset PC without deleting personal files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have tried many times to reset my PC without deleting my personal files but every time I got the same error message at around 50% of the resetting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BibhutiMahanta, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Reset PC without deleting personal files

I have tried many times to reset my PC without deleting my personal files but every time I got the same error message at around 50% of the resetting process.

"There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

Please help me!

* Want to reset pc but don't want to lose any data except data/files present in C drive System drive.

Thank you.

:)

BibhutiMahanta, Feb 13, 2020

2. Reset PC without deleting personal files

I have a question about the reset PC and keeping personal data does it delete programs and there data too or does it delete apps?

Windows 10 fan, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to delete a file

Hi Brent,

There are a lot of possible reason why the issue occurs, we suggest that you access
    safe mode
    and
    delete the files there. If the same issue occur,
    reboot
    your PC and run these following
    methods of troubleshooting
    steps:

Method 1:
    Run SFC Scan.  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.   

Method 2:
    Run DISM Tool.  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel. 

Method 3: Clean Boot.

To perform a
    Clean Boot, click
    here.

Note:
    Reset the computer back to
    Normal Mode
    once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the same article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Reset PC without deleting personal files

Reset PC in Windows 10

Hello Raghu,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with what will happen if you reset your PC in Windows 10.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Please refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

How to refresh, reset or restore your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

When you refresh your PC:

• Windows will save your personal files, personalization settings, and Modern apps installed from the Windows Store.
    • Windows will reset your PC settings.
    • Windows will remove all installed desktop programs.
    • A list of the removed programs will be saved to your desktop.
    By resetting your computer settings and removing all desktop programs, Windows 8 can “refresh” your PC so it’s more like a fresh install without deleting your personal files.

When you Reset your PC:

When you reset your PC, Windows will remove everything. Think of this like doing a complete Windows reinstall and formatting your hard drive.

• All your personal files and apps will be removed.
    • Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
    Note:
    If you’re experiencing problems with your computer and want to fix them, you should try refreshing your PC first. Windows will restore system files and desktop programs to their default state, saving all your important personal
    files (and Modern apps, if you use them.)

If you want to reset your computer to its factory default state – particularly useful if you’re getting rid of the computer and want to remove your personal data, or if you just want a clean start — you should reset your PC
    instead.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Reset PC without deleting personal files

1. Reset PC without deleting personal files - Similar Threads - Reset without deleting

2. Personal file is deleted or not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personal file is deleted or not: If i install any update from Microsoft catalog then is data is removed ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personal-file-is-deleted-or-not/d55055cd-4afd-4a5f-a8b5-def568b6d4aa
  3. Personal file is deleted or not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Personal file is deleted or not: If i install any update from Microsoft catalog then is data is removed ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personal-file-is-deleted-or-not/d55055cd-4afd-4a5f-a8b5-def568b6d4aa
  4. Will the Reset this PC remove personal files like pictures?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the Reset this PC remove personal files like pictures?: When utilizing the “Reset this PC” option, will it remove files saved on it, such as pictures, documents? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-the-reset-this-pc-remove-personal-files-like/4edf14b8-6ec0-4485-b0a1-2c6ce9222a89
  5. Reset Windows 10 Without Losing Personal Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset Windows 10 Without Losing Personal Files: Hello, Recently, I have some problems with Windows 10. For example: 1. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/162956/visual-studio-2019-can39t-run-ucrtbaseddll.html?childToView=162868#answer-162868 2....
  6. Will Resetting Windows (keeping “personal files”) Delete Game Data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Resetting Windows (keeping “personal files”) Delete Game Data?: It says that apps will be uninstalled, including my games. Will the data files for the games be deleted too? Or will I be able to reinstall the game and keep my data? I want to back it up to another drive but I can’t transfer 500gb in less than a couple hours with this POS...
  7. RESET PC WITHOUT REMOVING FILES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RESET PC WITHOUT REMOVING FILES: I need to reset my pc but there are a lot of files in my Downloads folder in C drive. If I reset my windows 10 and choose not to delete any files, will it delete my files in Downloads or not?...
  8. “Reset PC without deleting files” but still deleted files.

“Reset PC without deleting files” but still deleted files.: I recently reset my PC without deleting files to resolve an issue i have been having with my keyboard. It not only did not resolve my issues, but it did not save my files either. Any possible ways to recover them? I have tried a few things but figured I would go here next....
  9. Resetting computer without loosing personal files

Resetting computer without loosing personal files: Hello, So I got a computer from a friend, resetted it a couple days ago to clean it entirely, it is a HP EliteBook *360. While trying to solve an internet issue on another computer I accidentaly brought this hp to a recovery point instead of the former. It won't launch...
  10. Reset PC without deleting personal files

Reset PC without deleting personal files: I have a question about the reset PC and keeping personal data does it delete programs and there data too or does it delete apps? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-pc-without-deleting-personal-files/627eec92-5065-4137-afbf-9e64a24bfbe5