Windows 10: Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

Discus and support Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I've seen this topic covered a few times. However, when I hold the volume down key while powering on, the laptop goes to the normal login page.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark A.W., Jul 16, 2022.

1. Mark A.W. Win User

Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

Hello. I've seen this topic covered a few times. However, when I hold the volume down key while powering on, the laptop goes to the normal login page. Holding volume up takes me to the Surface UEFI, but volume down does nothing, essentially. Any advice?

:)

Mark A.W., Jul 16, 2022
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Jul 16, 2022
  3. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jul 16, 2022
  4. Janette_Z Win User

Surface Laptop 3 15 reinstall windows

Hi, Никита тарасов!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry if you are encountering issues performing the Surface Recovery Image steps.

May I know if it is 16GB or 32GB? Bigger storage will not work due to partition issues. Any of the two will do when to complete the steps on your Surface Laptop 3. If it is, make sure it is formatted to FAT32 before loading the
    downloaded file for your device from the Surface Recovery Image
    page.

Please be reminded of the following when performing the steps:

• This option reimages the entire device, including the partition on the hard drive.
    • It is the most complete form of reset.
    • You will also need to reinstall desktop apps and need to run updates after completion.
    • If the issue occurs after a reset, then the root cause is very likely hardware related.

Once you have the needed materials, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in, and then insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.
    2. Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button.
    3. When the Microsoft or Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
    4. When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    5. Select Troubleshoot, and then select Recover from a drive. If prompted for a recovery key, select
      Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.

Note: Be sure to select the Troubleshoot option on this screen. Don’t select the
      Use a device option. If you select the Use a device option, your Surface will reboot from the USB recovery drive again and the reset process will start over.
    6. Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive. The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you’re recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you’re
      keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
    7. Select Recover. Surface restarts and displays the Surface logo while the reset process continues. This can take several minutes.

If this works, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on
    Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

Kind regards,

Janette_Z, Jul 16, 2022
Thema:

1. Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key - Similar Threads - Reset Surface Laptop

2. Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key: I have tried several times to reset my surface through troubleshooting and downloading through the cloud and local but neither option works. I receive an error stating unable to download. I am trying to sign in with no domain....
  3. Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key: I have tried several times to reset my surface through troubleshooting and downloading through the cloud and local but neither option works. I receive an error stating unable to download. I am trying to sign in with no domain....
  4. Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key: An employee was let go at our work. I need to reset their PC but they used Bitlocker. I do not have their recovery key or password to their account. I am trying to fully reset this PC, but Bitlocker will not let me continue. Is there a way to reset this PC and delete their...
  6. Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key

Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key: An employee was let go at our work. I need to reset their PC but they used Bitlocker. I do not have their recovery key or password to their account. I am trying to fully reset this PC, but Bitlocker will not let me continue. Is there a way to reset this PC and delete their...
  7. Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key: Hello. I've seen this topic covered a few times. However, when I hold the volume down key while powering on, the laptop goes to the normal login page. Holding volume up takes me to the Surface UEFI, but volume down does nothing, essentially. Any advice?...
  8. Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key: Hello. I've seen this topic covered a few times. However, when I hold the volume down key while powering on, the laptop goes to the normal login page. Holding volume up takes me to the Surface UEFI, but volume down does nothing, essentially. Any advice?...
  9. Surface laptop 3 reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface laptop 3 reset: I bought the surface laptop 3 a month ago off amazon, and am needing to return because its not working out for me, so it said to reset before sending back. It has been stuck on this screen for over 10 hours... do i keep waiting? What should i do? I need to send it back so i...
  10. Reset without recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset without recovery key: I have a surface pro 8. It was unused for a couple of months and ive forgotten my pin and my password. When i try to reset my password it tells me "this requires outside media" so i did what it told me to on some forum and it said i needed the bitlocker recovery key. 1. I...