Windows 10: Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too?

Discus and support Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello again Does the feature on Windows 10 "Reset this PC" option Remove everything-fully clean the drive ALSO overwrites FREE SPACE? I manually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TaminaLacerda, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too?

Hello again

Does the feature on Windows 10 "Reset this PC" option Remove everything-fully clean the drive ALSO overwrites FREE SPACE?

I manually formated the disk and everything was gone but a format doesn't overwrites anything. So the fully clean drive from reset it will overwrite the previous deleted filesnow free space from the previous format?

Thank you and have a great day

:)

TaminaLacerda, Feb 24, 2020
  2. PTNZ Win User

Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Ha ha.

So many replies and no one is answering the question - "Does the 'Fully clean the drive' (so that you can recycle your computer) clean an SSD drive?

I suspect that it doesn't and Microsoft are avoiding answering the question.

As so many new laptops are running on SSD drives this is a really important question.

...I've just reset my old laptop with an SSD (to sell it) and it now says (after several hours) that it was unable to clean all personal files and recommends that I reset the PC again :-/

:-( EDITED: I've now tried to reset 5 times. Seems Windows 10 has ceased to exist! The message I'm getting now says that my PC can not be recovered. This was supposed to be a Windows 10 recovery USB. It looks like it does everything that its supposed to
    do, except in the end there's no recovery, only wipe! Wow, that's screwy.

3. Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Hi,

I have a quick question about the "Fully Clean The Drive" option for Windows 10...

I have read that if you are planning on selling your computer you should reset Windows 10 and select 'Fully Clean The Drive'. I have read this is 'similar' to running format.exe c:\ /P:0, which would overwrite the whole drive
    with zeros, making data recovery from a traditional HDD pretty much impossible.

My questions are

1) What exactly does fully clean the drive do? Does it overwrite the WHOLE drive or just delete user files and overwrite the free space? Because if it were to overwrite the whole drive how could it reinstall windows because there
    would be no remaining data on the drive.

2) How does fully clean the drive work on SSD's? A single overwrite on a SSD would not be sufficient to sanitise the drive unless a TRIM command was also issued. Would fully clean the drive issue a TRIM command?

I guess my main question is how likely is it you can recover user data after you 'fully clean the drive' on an SSD?

Thank you in advance!

DanLowe4543, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too?

Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Hi,

Than you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Share this information to assist you better.

• When you say "Fully Clean The Drive" are you referring to deleting all the files and folders in the computer?
    If yes, you can reset your PC.

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to
    Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC >
    Get started and choose an option from the option listed below.

Note

• If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key

Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too? [​IMG]
      +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select
      Power
      Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too? [​IMG]
      >
      Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select
      Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
      If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option

Keep my files

What it does

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Option

Remove everything

What it does

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Option

Restore factory settings

What it does

• Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or
      Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.

• Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.

This option isn't available on all PCs.

Note

• If you reset your PC within a month of your upgrade to Windows 10, the option in Settings that lets you go back to your previous version of Windows will no longer be available.

Disclaimer : Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1
    (Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too?

1. Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too? - Similar Threads - Reset fully clean

2. Wiping the free space in recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping the free space in recovery partition: I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did the other volumes with cipher w in cmd but don't know how to address these drives with that command. submitted by /u/cs-k...
  3. fully clean drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fully clean drive: After doing a "fully clean drive" in resetting pc, my sign in screen and name are still displayed. Why wasn't that removed, "cleaned " as well? Is it a hardware or software issue?...
  4. Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing: So when I downloaded windows 8 transformation pack it told me to restart... So i did but when i signed in all it showed was a black screen as my desktop and when i pressed "CTRL + ALT + DELETE" it showed me the default options so all i was able to access was The task manager...
  5. Is there a free program to wipe a PC hard drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a free program to wipe a PC hard drive?: Is there a free program to wipe a PC hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-free-program-to-wipe-a-pc-hard-drive/535f7a51-c8af-48a6-a82b-2b9aeb054170
  6. Fully clean the drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully clean the drive: I've been fully cleaning the drive for about 12 hours now and it's been stuck at the same percentage for ages as I left it over night is there anyway I can check to speed up the process or check if it's not even working anymore thanks...
  7. Fully cleaning the drive loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully cleaning the drive loop: I've been trying to erase everything from my pc so I clicked fully clean the drives it started off okay but when it got to 42% it stopped and it's been like this for a few hours how long does it take and any way to fix it?...
  8. Resetting PC and cleaning drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting PC and cleaning drive: Resetting stuck at 99 % for last 12 hours. What to do know? What if I switch off and switch on? Do I get PC restored to the position I restarTed resetting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resetting-pc-and-cleaning-drive/dd5d7311-2c94-4bc7-9229-28cef0965157
  9. Free Space Wiping Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Free Space Wiping Windows 10: As an added security precaution in case a Laptop is lost or stolen (then falls into the hands or some dodgy character) understand some folk - in addition to regularly running Disk Cleanup - also wipe their C Drive's 'Free' Space. Gather that (at one time at least) this...
  10. Had to Wipe the drive clean

in Windows 10 Support
    Had to Wipe the drive clean: I had an interesting experience. We had a power failure so Windows 10 did not shut down properly. No big deal, right? It's happened to us all. Just restart as always, and it will correct itself. Nope. It would not restart, it kept saying errors. I had to wipe out...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is reset this pc sufficient to wipe hard drive?

2. reset your pc fully clean the drive ssd