Windows 10: Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7

Discus and support Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A laptop that I use regularly has recently been showing signs of some kind of corruption. I first noticed it when a notification popped up to say that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CustomStrat, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7

A laptop that I use regularly has recently been showing signs of some kind of corruption. I first noticed it when a notification popped up to say that Windows Defender needed to be turned on but when I went to do so it said "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization." Subsequently there have been other issues culminating in, this morning, the machine being somewhat unresponsive (some apps functioned while others never appeared). It's gotten to the point of being effectively un-useable.

I'm now thinking that my best option is going to be to do a reset to factory settings. This laptop is currently running Windows 10 however it originally ran Windows 7. My question is; If I reset to factory settings will it return to Windows 7? Or do I have any other options?

:)

CustomStrat, Feb 8, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

Ok what happens if I install Windows 10 on my old Windows 7 laptop and after a year I need to do a factory restore?

P4-630, Feb 8, 2019
  3. RCoon Win User
    Factory Reset Win 7 (without disc)

Download an ISO of the Avira AV boot CD, burn it on your own computer, and then boot from that CD on your mom's computer and run a cleanup.

Seriously, you should just download a Windows disc and format the laptop. Best and easiest course of action.

"Information:
    Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk. From this special hidden image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:

• Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
    • Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
    • Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
    • Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
    • If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
    • A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
    • Click Yes to continue.
    • When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
    • Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.
    Please note that the process may vary slightly from machine to machine, that you may be asked to insert disks (multi-disk packages) and that the process may take one to two hours to complete. The recovery process will require you to restart your computer several times.

As you use the recovery process you will have several options. One of these may be to create a custom size partition. Follow the directions on screen for this and other options as prompted. When in doubt, it's usually best to accept the default, or pre-selected option.
    "

If you are incapable, or uncomfortable with following any of the recommendations on how to restore the laptop, then I recommend you take it to your local IT guy and ask him to do it for you. Sometimes the best of us have to visit a ripoff merchant to get something fixed, or even just tested...

RCoon, Feb 8, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

I had the message on my built systems and the laptops.

AsRock, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7

1. Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Reset Factory Settings

2. Windows 7 factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 factory reset: Hello,Since you cannot upgrade to windows 10 anymore, I am stuck with a slow, broken, 2009 windows 7 PC. I My only chance left to be able to use it properly again is to factory reset it. But I can't. I tried to do the methods on here but that is not possible for me:...
  3. Windows 7 factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 factory reset: Hello,Since you cannot upgrade to windows 10 anymore, I am stuck with a slow, broken, 2009 windows 7 PC. I My only chance left to be able to use it properly again is to factory reset it. But I can't. I tried to do the methods on here but that is not possible for me:...
  4. Windows 7 Factory Reset/Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Factory Reset/Update: Hello. Could someone provide me with an answer to my issue. I have a Windows 7 desktop. Lately I have been having alot of freezing, and crashes with a loud sound. I have backed up everything on a secondary harddrive. I want to restore the desktop back to it's original state...
  5. Windows 7 Laptop - Cannot reset to factory settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Laptop - Cannot reset to factory settings: I have been trying to reset my laptop to sell and followed instructions to reset to factory settings as belowSelect the category “System and Security” in the control panel.In the section “Backup and restore” you can find “Recover system settings on your computer” and then...
  6. Windows 7 Laptop - Cannot reset to factory settings

Windows 7 Laptop - Cannot reset to factory settings: I have been trying to reset my laptop to sell and followed instructions to reset to factory settings as belowSelect the category “System and Security” in the control panel.In the section “Backup and restore” you can find “Recover system settings on your computer” and then...
  7. Reset laptop to original settings

Reset laptop to original settings: How can I reset EVOO 14.1 ultra thin laptop to original setting when received? Thank you, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-laptop-to-original-settings/87c1cf51-b28c-4c36-bb2f-abdb260093b1
  8. Resetting Windows 10 to factory settings, need help with Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting Windows 10 to factory settings, need help with Windows 7: Hello, I previously made a thread detailing my dual booting between Windows 7 and Windows 10 on my HP laptop. This has served me very well for the last 3 years, with Windows 7 performing as expected (this was the OS I have been using). However, Windows 10 is not as...
  9. Will resetting Windows 10 to factory settings if 7 was the stock OS reset it to 7 or 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will resetting Windows 10 to factory settings if 7 was the stock OS reset it to 7 or 10?: I am considering buying a refurbished laptop from Amazon. The OS that was installed when the laptop was new was Windows 7, but the owner upgraded it to 10. If I bought it, I would probably wipe the drive for a clean slate. Would going to settings and reset this PC and...
  10. Factory resetting a windows 10 laptop.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Factory resetting a windows 10 laptop.: So my girlfriend's sister gave us this laptop that she had from when she worked at a company that shut down a couple years ago and the laptop is locked through her password and username that she doesn't remember anymore. I've tried to wipe the computer from the start screen...