Windows 10: Reset vs Clean Install?

Discus and support Reset vs Clean Install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kaborka, Aug 18, 2015.

1. kaborka Win User

Reset vs Clean Install?

I just upgraded my notebook from 8.1. Win 10 is activated. I did the upgrade by creating an ISO using MCT, expanding the files to a USB hdd, then running Setup. I would now like to do a clean reinstall. Since I do not have bootable external media for the notebook, I'm wondering if the System Reset with the "Keep nothing" option would be equivalentto a "bare-metal" clean install?

:)

kaborka, Aug 18, 2015

2. USB devices cause freeze/BSOD after 1709 update

What I would like to know, what is different from Reset vs the Clean install that fixed it?

Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2015
  3. USB devices cause freeze/BSOD after 1709 update

The other guy who had the issue said that he reinstalled from scratch and it didn't fix it, but maybe he didn't clean up everything that is cleaned up in a reset. I don't know. I just didn't try it after he said it didn't work.

Michael Ducharme, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset vs Clean Install?

Hello kaborka,

That's correct. A reset using "Keep nothing" basically gives you the same as a clean install of Windows. *Smile

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  5. kaborka Win User
    Thanks. That seemed to work fine. It got rid of all the crapware preinstalled on the new notebook. There is still a windows.old folder, which I presume I can delete.

kaborka, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reset vs Clean Install?

1. Reset vs Clean Install? - Similar Threads - Reset Clean Install

2. Manual Clean vs Resetting PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Manual Clean vs Resetting PC?: Hello. So, I have a Dell Windows 10 (AMD a6) laptop which I've had ever since 2015. Despite all the junk on it (drawing programs, games, recording software, editing software, you name it) it still runs fairly well. That is, fairly well all things considered. I can have...
  3. CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??

CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??: MY Windows suddenly started behaving weird and so I went on to reset it. But there are 2 options Clean Reset Vs Quick Reset. I know that Clean reset is more secure and i also don't want to restore my data in future. So is there any need to opt for it. I mean will there be...
  4. CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??

CLEAN RESET Vs QUICK RESET??: MY Windows suddenly started behaving weird and so I went on to reset it. But there are 2 options Clean Reset Vs Quick Reset. I know that Clean reset is more secure and i also don't want to restore my data in future. So is there any need to opt for it. I mean will there be...
  5. Reset this PC - Remove everything vs clean install

Reset this PC - Remove everything vs clean install: Hi, can someone explain me the differences between the "Reset this PC - Remove everything" function and a Windows 10 clean install? Thanks. submitted by /u/espositodnl86 [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fresh Start vs Reset vs Refresh vs Clean install: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Advanced Recovery option offers recovery solutions which can help you bring back Windows 10 to a working condition. These are extreme solutions when nothing else can be done. That said, before one uses one of these solutions, its [...] This post...
  7. Clean install vs refresh or restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install vs refresh or restore: Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors I have updated to win10 from 8 which carried over all my previously installed programs, but was considering a clean install via usb and reinstalling all the...
  8. reset pc vs clean install win10

reset pc vs clean install win10: The reason I'm asking is because clicking the update and security in the windows settings brings up a page with different options where there is one for recovery. Clicking that recovery option opens another page with 3 options on the right - reset this pc; advanced start-up;...
  9. Upgrade vs Clean Install

Upgrade vs Clean Install: The fix for many problems seems to be a Clean Install but this is defeating part of the test process. When 10 is released, I would bet 90% of the people who switch will do an upgrade because that is what they are being offered. Few will know what a Clean Install is, much less...
  10. install size Update vs Clean

install size Update vs Clean: Running on a 128GB SSD card, the Windows directory is around 50 GB's. Not much room left for anything else. Windows 8 was significantly less. After every update I delete the $Windows~BT directory and the Windows.old directory to free up about 8GB's.. but it's not enough....