Windows 10: Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load

Discus and support Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am experiencing a really frustrating issue. I wanted to start fresh on my pc so I performed a factory reset. Everything went as planned only the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Shane Ziemba, May 27, 2022.

1. Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load

I am experiencing a really frustrating issue. I wanted to start fresh on my pc so I performed a factory reset. Everything went as planned only the startup page still shows my old account. When I try to sign into the account it shows an error saying the account failed to load. I have tried resetting multiple times by holding shift and restarting, but it always brings me back to the old account.

:)

Shane Ziemba, May 27, 2022
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load :(

Zakin, May 27, 2022
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 27, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load

Windows 10 reset on a Star Wars special edition notebook

There's no need to reset the laptop. Simply create a new user account for you, change its account type to administrator (all new accounts after the first initial one are standard accounts when created), sign out from the original account, sign in to your new account and finally remove the original account. Takes a few minutes, much faster than a full reset.

Thema:

Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load

1. Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load - Similar Threads - Reset old account

2. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  3. Do the old Windows 1.0 themes still exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do the old Windows 1.0 themes still exist?: Hi. I remember back some time ago during the Microsoft Windows x Stranger Things crossover or sometime during that period that some themes and Microsoft Store apps appeared. A game that tied into the Stranger Things crossover called "Windows 1.11", the Windows 3.1 File...
  4. Do the old Windows 1.0 themes still exist?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do the old Windows 1.0 themes still exist?: Hi. I remember back some time ago during the Microsoft Windows x Stranger Things crossover or sometime during that period that some themes and Microsoft Store apps appeared. A game that tied into the Stranger Things crossover called "Windows 1.11", the Windows 3.1 File...
  5. Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load: I am experiencing a really frustrating issue. I wanted to start fresh on my pc so I performed a factory reset. Everything went as planned only the startup page still shows my old account. When I try to sign into the account it shows an error saying the account failed to load....
  6. Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset windows 10, but my old account still exists and fails to load: I am experiencing a really frustrating issue. I wanted to start fresh on my pc so I performed a factory reset. Everything went as planned only the startup page still shows my old account. When I try to sign into the account it shows an error saying the account failed to load....
  7. windows 10 failed to load after reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 failed to load after reset: I factory reset my laptop but ran into a problem no settings will be changed so I went to retry and can no longer boot windows . I can get to boot menu but will npot reinstall windows .Ran diagnostics everything passed . Usb install from a different laptop pretty sure I am...
  8. windows 10 failed to load after reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 failed to load after reset: I factory reset my laptop but ran into a problem no settings will be changed so I went to retry and can no longer boot windows . I can get to boot menu but will npot reinstall windows .Ran diagnostics everything passed . Usb install from a different laptop pretty sure I am...
  9. windows 10 failed to load after reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Windows 10 fails to load my account.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 fails to load my account.: Hi everyone. Since today (one hour ago) my installation of Windows 10 (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362) fails to load my accounts settings. There are currently three users as listed under Local Disk->Users: my account, Public and TEMP. which seems to be appeared today by...