Windows 10: Resetting a laptop in preparation to sell

Discus and support Resetting a laptop in preparation to sell in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Prefacing this, I'm running Windows 10 on this laptop (Alienware 15 r3), and I have two drives, the 256gb boot drive it came with, and a Samsung 500... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Internetsandman, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Resetting a laptop in preparation to sell

Prefacing this, I'm running Windows 10 on this laptop (Alienware 15 r3), and I have two drives, the 256gb boot drive it came with, and a Samsung 500 gig EVO, both SSD's

What I want to do is go to Settings>Recovery>Reset this PC>Remove Everything>All Drives>Remove files and clean the drive

What I want to know is, does this work to wipe an SSD enough that the average joe won't be able to dig up information from the drives later on?

:)

Internetsandman, Sep 29, 2019

2. Resetting a PC to sell on

Am thinking of selling on my laptop - what is the best approach to getting it ready for that - should I reset the PC under the settings / options? Obviously I will not keep to choose any personal files and I will make sure our office 365 currently installed on it is uninstalled and removed before selling on. Presumably that option to 'reset this pc' will return it to how it was when I turned it on the first time having been delivered from the manufacturer?

Once reset, what happens to the laptop which is listed under 'Devices' if I view my Microsoft account in a browser. At the moment I see my current desktop and this laptop listed under devices. Will it automatically dis-associate itself from my account and disappear from this list or will I need to remove it? We have a family account setup, so the laptop also currently shows under 'devices' my wife's account and my son's child account. Will these also disappear? Basically once sold I do not want any trace of the laptop on our Microsoft accounts. Presumably there will be no unforeseen knock on effect for our MS accounts on our desktop which will be keeping.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Preparing for reset

Step 1: Backup your files:

Step 2: Choose the best method that suits you for performing a clean install.

you can perform a clean install, several ways:

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Option 4:

How to Perform a Clean Install of Windows 10 with the Refresh Tool

Andre Da Costa, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Resetting a laptop in preparation to sell

Laptop Reset Loop

Hi Vince,

Let us resolve your concern regarding frequent reboot. We suggest that you follow the Startup Repair steps below:

• Turn off your laptop.
    • Turn on your laptop. As soon as you see the Windows logo with the spinning dots, press and hold down the power button until your laptop turns off. Do this process
      twice.
    • Turn on your laptop for the third time, and let it load.
    • It should give you the message: Preparing Automatic Repair.
    • On the next screen that would appear, click on Advanced Options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Go to Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.
    • Wait for the repair to finish.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Resetting a laptop in preparation to sell

1. Resetting a laptop in preparation to sell - Similar Threads - Resetting laptop preparation

2. Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop: Hi, I tried to reset my surface pro multiple times including a factory reset from the lockscreen and settings but when it is done, it keeps telling me to sign into work or school saying “Welcome to LV”Organization. I want to give the laptop out to someone is their anyway I...
  3. Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop: Hi, I tried to reset my surface pro multiple times including a factory reset from the lockscreen and settings but when it is done, it keeps telling me to sign into work or school saying “Welcome to LV”Organization. I want to give the laptop out to someone is their anyway I...
  4. Reset Windows 10 prior to selling laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset Windows 10 prior to selling laptop: I have done a reset on my HP laptop as I am going to sell it. I don't understand at what point to 'stop' - when the setup questions start - e.g connect to Wifi, Language, Keyboard, etc. At what point do I just switch the laptop off ready for the buyer to set up? (Windows 10)...
  5. Selling Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Selling Laptop: getting my Laptop ready to sell or donate, I used the Microsoft Windows 10 fresh Install....no personal files saved....but it did read files were saved in a folder named Windows.old.During the initial setup....it required 1 I enter the name of person using laptop2 Sign in...
  6. Selling Laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Selling Laptop: I am selling my laptop. I have removed all personal data and programs that will not be authorized. How do I get rid of my code and password and personal data without impacting my other computers?Thanks,Dennis...
  7. clean laptop for selling

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    clean laptop for selling: I am going to retire a lap top. It and my desktop PC have windows 10 Home, running Chrome. When I scrub my personal data from the laptop, will that action remove anything from the desktop also?...
  8. reset laptop to sell it. Solved! Thanks for all the replies!

in Windows 10 Customization
    reset laptop to sell it. Solved! Thanks for all the replies!: I have windows 10 laptop that I want to sell. What's the best way to reset it so it will no longer have my info? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/reset-laptop-to-sell-it-solved-thanks-for-all-the/81b9e579-79b0-427d-a974-2539faa2f8da
  9. reset laptop to sell it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    reset laptop to sell it.: I have windows 10 laptop that I want to sell. What's the best way to reset it so it will no longer have my info? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/reset-laptop-to-sell-it/81b9e579-79b0-427d-a974-2539faa2f8da
  10. Resetting a PC to sell on

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting a PC to sell on: Am thinking of selling on my laptop - what is the best approach to getting it ready for that - should I reset the PC under the settings / options? Obviously I will not keep to choose any personal files and I will make sure our office 365 currently installed on it is...