Windows 10: Resetting a PC to sell on

Discus and support Resetting a PC to sell on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Am thinking of selling on my laptop - what is the best approach to getting it ready for that - should I reset the PC under the settings / options?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Resetting a PC to sell on

Am thinking of selling on my laptop - what is the best approach to getting it ready for that - should I reset the PC under the settings / options? Obviously I will not keep to choose any personal files and I will make sure our office 365 currently installed on it is uninstalled and removed before selling on. Presumably that option to 'reset this pc' will return it to how it was when I turned it on the first time having been delivered from the manufacturer?

Once reset, what happens to the laptop which is listed under 'Devices' if I view my Microsoft account in a browser. At the moment I see my current desktop and this laptop listed under devices. Will it automatically dis-associate itself from my account and disappear from this list or will I need to remove it? We have a family account setup, so the laptop also currently shows under 'devices' my wife's account and my son's child account. Will these also disappear? Basically once sold I do not want any trace of the laptop on our Microsoft accounts. Presumably there will be no unforeseen knock on effect for our MS accounts on our desktop which will be keeping.

Thanks,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Apr 17, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 17, 2016
  3. Selling PC

Follow
    Reset Your Windows 10 PC
    choosing to Clean the Drive.

Resetting a PC to sell on [​IMG]

In your online MS account, unlink the WIndows 10 listing if it shows up.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 17, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Resetting a PC to sell on

Hello Wayne,

Resetting the laptop is usually the best option and then you can hand over all the software and recovery disks (if any) that came with it. Laptops vary with how this works, some come with a hidden recovery drive containing a full windows OS installation, others rely on recovery disks or that you create one yourself.

Did you upgrade to W10 after you bought it? If so you might want to leave it with W10 and do a clean install and set up a new local account that you can pass on to the new owner. When you clean install you can do a full reformat of the hard disk(s) to be sure any personal data is completely removed.

The Microsoft account may still show the old laptop details but you can easily remove it from your account (and other family members) if this happens. There should be no knock on effects.

philc43, Apr 17, 2016
  5. Thanks Phil for the info, that's perfect - it came with Windows. I'll get it reset and then set up a local account as administrator called something like 'initial user' so anyone that buys can easily login.

6. Out of curiosity, do you have a recovery DVD/flash drive or a DVD/flash drive with the Windows ISO on it?

LovingWindows, Apr 17, 2016
  7. It came with a Windows 10 DVD installation media. Presume it's for build 10586 but I've not used it as everything was pre-installed by the manufacturer.

8. Resetting a PC to sell on

Since you have the full installation media on DVD, you may wish to secure erase the entire drive then install Windows back onto it before selling it. Secure erasing will make it so data can't be recovered, as it writes over everything and zero's it out.

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command - Windows 7 Help Forums

It's totally up to you though.

LovingWindows, Apr 17, 2016
  9. Ok, thank you - definitely sounds like a safer option!

10. Winuser Win User
    Yes it is. A format does not remove files on the drive. With a file recovery program a lot of files can be restored.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Resetting a PC to sell on

1. Resetting a PC to sell on - Similar Threads - Resetting sell

2. Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop: Hi, I tried to reset my surface pro multiple times including a factory reset from the lockscreen and settings but when it is done, it keeps telling me to sign into work or school saying “Welcome to LV”Organization. I want to give the laptop out to someone is their anyway I...
  3. Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Issue.I want to sell my laptop: Hi, I tried to reset my surface pro multiple times including a factory reset from the lockscreen and settings but when it is done, it keeps telling me to sign into work or school saying “Welcome to LV”Organization. I want to give the laptop out to someone is their anyway I...
  4. I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?: I completely wiped my pc for sale on ebay but, how do I check to make sure its all set for sale. I need to give my internet access which is ok but then I need to sign in....huh? any work arounds?...
  5. I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?

I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?: I completely wiped my pc for sale on ebay but, how do I check to make sure its all set for sale. I need to give my internet access which is ok but then I need to sign in....huh? any work arounds?...
  6. Does Factory resetting my my to sell delete files on other linked Devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Factory resetting my my to sell delete files on other linked Devices.: I have a PC that i’m deciding to Sell and am wanting to Factory reset but i’m worried that other devices that are linked would have files deleted too. When I got the PC and signed in it automatically connected to another account on my laptop without me realising it, it had...
  7. Does Factory resetting my my to sell delete files on other linked Devices.

Does Factory resetting my my to sell delete files on other linked Devices.: I have a PC that i’m deciding to Sell and am wanting to Factory reset but i’m worried that other devices that are linked would have files deleted too. When I got the PC and signed in it automatically connected to another account on my laptop without me realising it, it had...
  8. I am selling my PC how do I do a factory reset on my HP windows 11 laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am selling my PC how do I do a factory reset on my HP windows 11 laptop?: I need help to know what option i should choose if I want to set my HP PC to factory condition so I can sell it. It works fine, I just want to erase all I have put on it and my personal files. How do I do that??...
  9. I am selling my PC how do I do a factory reset on my HP windows 11 laptop?

I am selling my PC how do I do a factory reset on my HP windows 11 laptop?: I need help to know what option i should choose if I want to set my HP PC to factory condition so I can sell it. It works fine, I just want to erase all I have put on it and my personal files. How do I do that??...
  10. I want to reset my computer completely because I'm selling it. How should I go about doing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to reset my computer completely because I'm selling it. How should I go about doing...: Hello, I want to reset my computer because I'm selling it. It would've been as easy as just googling how but I have some questions about how it affects my Microsoft account and OneDrive. First, I previously tried deleting stuff from the Pictures and Documents folders but when...