Windows 10: Resetting Bios Password

Discus and support Resetting Bios Password in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am doing some spring cleaning, getting rid of old desktops, laptops, and routers. Regarding the computers, I am wanting to wipe the hard drives with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Stecyk, May 18, 2020.

1. Stecyk Win User

Resetting Bios Password

I am doing some spring cleaning, getting rid of old desktops, laptops, and routers. Regarding the computers, I am wanting to wipe the hard drives with Darik's Boot and Nuke software. When I booted up one old Dell desktop from 2001, I learned that it requires a BIOS password. Why I ever put one on is beyond me. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the password. The rest of this message will be about wanting to know if my understanding for resetting the BIOS password is correct.

Technically, this thread/message isn't about Windows 10 specifically. But it does relate to hardware, and I am hoping that it would apply to a significant number of computers, so I hope this message is okay.

I called Dell, and the technician said that I needed to reset the jumper on motherboard to reset the BIOS password. After opening the case on my old Dell computer and hunting on the internet, this is the what I think I have learned. I will present photograph of a portion of the motherboard.

Resetting Bios Password [​IMG]

I have put a red rectangular box around what I think is the jumper for the BIOS. I note that "PASS" is written on the motherboard beside those three pins.

I believe these are steps I need to follow. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. Turn off and unplug the computer. (It has been off and unplugged for about ten plus years. I just plugged it in today. I am not sure if this information is relevant. Perhaps it helps with regard to the motherboard's battery.)
    2. Open the case and locate those "PASS" pins again.
    3. Switch the jumper from the current two pins to include the third pin and middle pin. Leave it there for 5 seconds or more. In other words, move the jumper over one pin for a few seconds.
    4. Reset the jumper back to its original position with the original pins.
    5. Plug in the computer, and attempt to boot it up.
    6. Assuming it boots up, open CD tray and put in Darik's Boot and Nuke software and follow the steps.

Is there any information that I am missing? Do I have the correct location for the jumper? Are my steps correct?

Thank you for your help.

:)

Stecyk, May 18, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, May 18, 2020
  3. bobkn Win User
    Resetting BIOS password

As an anti-theft measure, resetting a BIOS password on a laptop isn't supposed to be easy.

Acer Support may suggest taking it to an authorized service center.

Good luck.

bobkn, May 18, 2020
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Resetting Bios Password

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Resetting Bios Password

1. Resetting Bios Password - Similar Threads - Resetting Bios Password

2. How do I reset BIOS password??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reset BIOS password??: So I forgot my bios setting password, I've removed the jumper, I've taking the lithium battery out many times and right now I've taken both out and booted it up it still says "enter password" I mean I can get on the normal desktop but for the life of me I can't get into my...
  3. How do I reset BIOS password??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reset BIOS password??: So I forgot my bios setting password, I've removed the jumper, I've taking the lithium battery out many times and right now I've taken both out and booted it up it still says "enter password" I mean I can get on the normal desktop but for the life of me I can't get into my...
  4. How do I reset BIOS password??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords: Hello.While trying to fix my computer i somehow managed to set a bios admin and power-on password. Altough i didn't forget it is just annoying to see on power-on and was wondering if anyone could help me get rid of it. For the record i have an HP OMEN laptop....
  6. Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords

Resetting bios Admin and Power-on Passwords: Hello.While trying to fix my computer i somehow managed to set a bios admin and power-on password. Altough i didn't forget it is just annoying to see on power-on and was wondering if anyone could help me get rid of it. For the record i have an HP OMEN laptop....
  7. Password/BIOS

Password/BIOS: Should a person set up a password in the BIOS of a computer?If so would I have to be signing in through the BIOS area whenever I boot up the computer each day?Would it keep any hackers from getting through the computer through a backdoor method? Kenneth...
  8. Resetting BIOS password

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting BIOS password: I have Acer Nitro 5 laptop . (This model https://www.amazon.in/Acer-AN515-52-...gateway&sr=8-6) Recently I updated its bios by downloading the official driver from the ACER website. Eversince my BIOS has got locked and asks for password which I don't know and haven't even...
  9. Bios Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios Password: I have an Hp ProDesk 400 G3 SFF. I got a message that I needed a bios update. Your probably thinking I should be on the Hp site but this has to do with the bios on the operating system. When I tried to update the bios it wanted the bios password. I bought this computer brand...
  10. How to reset BIOS Password

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to reset BIOS Password: Hi, I recently bought a used HP 6560b laptop. After setting it up I discovered that the radio is turned off so I can't use my SIM card. After troubleshooting, I was told to turn on the switch by the side or use Hot keys. There is no switch (unless it's invisible to my...