Windows 10: Resetting laptop led to my win10 product key not working

Discus and support Resetting laptop led to my win10 product key not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I got this Alienware laptop from my brother (Alienware 13 R3) and he had it for a while before me. He reset when he wanted to get rid of it, but i took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/commenderwolf, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Resetting laptop led to my win10 product key not working

I got this Alienware laptop from my brother (Alienware 13 R3) and he had it for a while before me. He reset when he wanted to get rid of it, but i took it off of him instead. As soon as i turned it on, it said windows 10 wasn't activated, and when I went to activate it, it said the device didn't have a product key. No problem, since my brother still had the product key from the laptop, so I just updated windows to the newest version (2004) and entered the product key, but now it says the product key is invalid. Windows 10 came with the laptop, so I'm just confused as to how I'm getting so much trouble getting it activated on it. Any help would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/commenderwolf
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/commenderwolf, Sep 16, 2020

2. Need product key for Win10 re-load

• Hi, I had to do a factory reset on my Toshiba laptop (multiple problems, black screening, etc.). I downloaded Win10 from MS site and have loaded it back on but product key required. I have no product key because the previous install was free upgrade from
      Win7 a few years ago.

Si and Jan Hoskins, Sep 16, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

Use this option. With Internet connection, if asked for product key, click on "Skip This Step" or "I don't have a product Key". Windows will be activated automatically.

topgundcp, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Resetting laptop led to my win10 product key not working

Product Key illegible, Toshiba laptop

Just some thoughts.

Are any of these letters and numerals legible ???

You could try a magnifying glass whilst highlighting the sticker with a LED torch.

Place the torch light at different angles around the sticker.

Do the same with the magnifying glass.

Try all angles.

There have been times that i have managed to retrieve the Product Key using this method.

By the way when you say it wont boot what is actually happening ???

Does it show anything at all on the screen when trying to boot.

• Have you tried to get it into Safe Mode using the F8 Key. ( You might be able to do a restore or recovery from there ).
    • Try entering the BIOS using the DELETE Key.
    • To enter Safe Mode and or the BIOS repetitively tap the Keys that i have mentioned at one second intervals whilst starting the laptop.

( As the laptop is 10 years old i wonder if the BIOS / CMOS 3Volt Button Cell Battery is still functioning, which i doubt )

When this 3 volt button cell dies the computer will be unable to remember its hardware settings but this usually promotes a on screen error relating to BIOS and Date / Time Settings at boot.

The below link supplied lists what the F Keys ( function keys ) do.

Though some of these may not correspond to your Toshiba Laptop as we don`t know the Model Number.

F8 Key – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8

Frank N St31n, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Resetting laptop led to my win10 product key not working

1. Resetting laptop led to my win10 product key not working - Similar Threads - Resetting laptop led

2. My product key is not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My product key is not working?: Hello, I am new to the PC world and my partner just built me one so we can game together while we were setting everything up and getting the product key which we bought from a reliable website when we put it in I kept getting 0xc004f050 and it states that it doesn't work....
  3. My product key is not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My product key is not working?: Hello, I am new to the PC world and my partner just built me one so we can game together while we were setting everything up and getting the product key which we bought from a reliable website when we put it in I kept getting 0xc004f050 and it states that it doesn't work....
  4. My product key is not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My product key is not working: My product key had somehow changed to some organization, so tried entering my original product key but it says it doesn't work with error code 0xc004f50. I know the product key I am entering is my real product key but it is still showing this error...
  5. Win7 product key not working for Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 product key not working for Win10: Hi, I had Win7 liscence. Unfortually I format my laptop and Install Win10. But Win7 key is not working on Win10. Could you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-product-key-not-working-for-win10/07144e2a-95b6-472c-9211-4e01c2b43ac5
  6. Win10 - product key obscured!

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 - product key obscured!: This may sound a bit absurd but having devoted nearly 2 days getting a new Win10 installation fully updated, I now cannot read the product key to activate the system. The reason being that the 'MICROSOFT' security sticker covering the key has left a glue residue that's...
  7. Need recovery key- to Reset Win10 laptop

Need recovery key- to Reset Win10 laptop: Laptop won't start window 10. Tried several times and it hangs with the dots stopping. I'm at the Blue screen asking: Enter the recovery key-to get going again. It has the Recovery Key ID.. can't find the needed Recovery. On the page suggested...
  8. WIN10 product key

WIN10 product key: My hard drive died and I do not know my WIN10 product key to reinstall. I am not able to get through to MS to find out what to do. HELP before the temp install expires https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-product-key/132432a3-fc0a-4721-b5f9-0940542862c7
  9. Win10 Pro product key wont work

Win10 Pro product key wont work: Hi' all, Last Year i had problems reinstalling/activating Win10 Pro with my Product key. Eventuially one of the microsoft support team sorted it out remotely. He gave me a new Product key. Recently i have had problems again with Win10 Pro. I have carried out a restore...
  10. Win10 Pro Product Key

Win10 Pro Product Key: I upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro a few years ago. I am now receiving a message in Settings saying that my product key is for Win 10 Home. This is not correct. It is, and always had been, a valid and activated installation of Win10 Pro. Why is this happening?...