Windows 10: Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing...

Discus and support Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I am surprised to be having such a hard task in finding the guidance required anywhere as I have seen plenty of links relating to moving system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Al_Tech, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Al_Tech Win User

Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing...

Hi, I am surprised to be having such a hard task in finding the guidance required anywhere as I have seen plenty of links relating to moving system folders from the C Windows drive to a D data drive, but nothing specifically covering my situation which is that I intend to reformat and clean-install Windows 11 on my C SSD drive without touching my personal data on my D hard drive. I know that when that process which I am familiar with is complete, I will see the system folders, such as C:\Desktop, C:\Documents, C:\Pictures etc located on my freshly created C drive. My actual files for des

:)

Al_Tech, Oct 5, 2022

2. Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive

Because my C drive has limited space, Ive been trying to change all settings of storage to my D drive. However, whenever trying to install a new program, it tries to be downloaded on the C drive still as the program requires to be downloaded on the 'system
    drive'. I also tried changing the location of the 'Downloads' and 'Music' folders to D drive. However they merged into one and now no longer can be separated and restored to the original location and also have the name 'D' drive and not their initial names
    'Downloads' and 'Music'. Should I be trying to fully transfer the windows system from my C drive to the D drive or get a new SSD card?

Please help, this is urgent

flatline66, Oct 5, 2022
  3. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Oct 5, 2022
  4. S_and_S Win User

Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing...

have 1.6 gB free on drive D but drive C is full so why won't it store on drive D: ????

Why won't the computer store or use the 1.7GB drive D ...

Permissions have no role to play here, and I really hope you did not alter the access control lists for your D: drive.

By default, all software stores its data in folders on the C: drive, because every computer has a C: drive (by convention) and a software developer can't know in advance whether any given computer will have additional partitions.

Most data must stay on the C: drive. That includes Windows itself and all components of Windows, including updates. However, your personal data (documents, music, etc.) can be moved to a different partition - like your D: drive - and you can set your D:
    drive to be the default location for all future data of the same type. The default location for your personal data must be an internal drive (so not a flash drive.)

You can move these personal data folders from C: to D: ( and it's easy to doResetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing... :)

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Videos

There are a few additional data folders that can be moved, but virtually all of your personal data likely resides in those folders. There are several ways to move your data, and I suppose everyone has their favorite method, so I'll show you one way.

Before you start, if you manually altered the permissions on your D: drive, do yourself a favor: backup everything you have on the D: drive to an external drive, then delete D: and re-create it. It will be created with the default permissions.

I'll start with the Documents folder -- C:\Users\your user name \Documents

1. Right-click on the folder and choose Properties from the context menu
    2. On the Location tab, change the drive letter in the box from C: to D:
    3. Don't change anything else.
    4. Click on the Move button. You'll be asked if you also want to move the contents of the Documents folder to the new location. Of course, you'll say 'yes.'
    (Windows asks that question because you can, if you wish, leave existing data on the C: drive and move all future data to the D: drive.)

After you click on the Move button, two things happen: 1) a new folder is created, namely D:\Users\your user name\Documents which is from now on the default location for all your documents, and 2) all your existing documents are moved to the new folder.

Do the same for the other folders.

You can also move the Desktop folder C:\Users\your user name\Desktop. What you see on the desktop is actually a combination of three separate folders, one of which you can move.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook, you can move your message store (the .pst file) but you need to do that from within Outlook.

Don't try to move any other folders!

Now you can backup C: and D: independently. That's a huge advantage.

S_and_S, Oct 5, 2022
Thema:

1. Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing... - Similar Threads - Resetting system folders

2. Resetting both C and D drive together

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resetting both C and D drive together: Hi, recently i tried to reset my pc for the first time. After resetting the pc, i found that only C drive was formatted and the personal files inside D drive was still there remain untouched.I have two drive in my pc which is C and D Drive, if i want to perform reset on both...
  3. Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting Windows 11 system folders on a C drive to an existing D drive already containing...: Hi, I am surprised to be having such a hard task in finding the guidance required anywhere as I have seen plenty of links relating to moving system folders from the C Windows drive to a D data drive, but nothing specifically covering my situation which is that I intend to...
  4. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  5. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  6. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  7. My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...: Hi, after using my laptop a few days ago, I decided to reboot and windows couldn't boot. After trying every possible fix without success, I had to reinstall windows via a USB stick. I took a photo of my volumes after reinstalling windows. Everything was ok. [ATTACH]...
  8. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  9. Windows folder in c and d drives

Windows folder in c and d drives: I have my windows installed in my c drive but i saw another windows folder on d drive. Can i delete this and how? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-folder-in-c-and-d-drives/c9ab0bb9-8127-40f9-a7d1-46375afa080f
  10. Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive

Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive: Because my C drive has limited space, Ive been trying to change all settings of storage to my D drive. However, whenever trying to install a new program, it tries to be downloaded on the C drive still as the program requires to be downloaded on the 'system drive'. I also...