Windows 10: Residue of contents Windows.old refuse to be deleted.

Discus and support Residue of contents Windows.old refuse to be deleted. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am having problems in finally clearing out Windows.old. Most of it went, when I used the clean-up facility, but a system32 folder, 134KB, that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Mar 7, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Residue of contents Windows.old refuse to be deleted.

I am having problems in finally clearing out Windows.old. Most of it went, when I used the clean-up facility, but a system32 folder, 134KB, that contains folders, drivers and Driver Store remains.
    It appears my permissions need amending, but all I try is met with failure. The folder named Windows 10.old mo longer exists.

Please can anyone, please help step by step? Permission especially if Trusted Installer could be involved seems a nightmare!

:)

chipwood, Mar 7, 2017

2. How can I delete the windows.old folder on Windows 10 installation

I would like to delete two residual folders on my Windows 10. The only thing left in them appear to be some browser favorities.

I have tried to use Disk Clean Up / Clean up System Folders, but I don't see the "Remove Old Installations" choice, as the old installation is already cleared away by the looks of. All I have remaining are two folders

windows.old and windows.old(1).

How can I clear these off?

Contents: 0 bytes, 5 Folders in each one.

thinkingal, Mar 7, 2017
  3. How to delete Windows.old folder?

THis does not work. THe question was how to delete the floder. THis method deletes the contents but Windows.old stioll remains. When I try to delete windows.old I get the message, "Could not ind this item. No loger located in..."

Chet121212, Mar 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Disk clean should remove it if you run it then run again to remove system files it's classed as a system folder booting a Linux live CD or similar it's quickset way

Samuria, Mar 7, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    I used CCleaner to remove that leftover file.

Bastet, Mar 7, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Another idea: create and boot a Puppy Linux usb or dvd; use its file manager to delete windows.old remnants and finally the folder itself.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Residue of contents Windows.old refuse to be deleted. - Similar Threads - Residue contents old

2. how do i delete mcafee residual files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i delete mcafee residual files?: i attempted to delete Mcafee but it left residual files and i need permission from system when im an administrator? is there any way to fix this and delete the mcafee files under "C:\Program Files\McAfee"? the mcafee files are preventing me from downloading an antivirus....
  3. Deleted Content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted Content: This Discussion got deleted! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-content/51ba5d35-5b76-4682-b94e-07582985c18a
  4. [Content Deleted]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    [Content Deleted]: [Deleted] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/content-deleted/22fa2081-21ba-4c24-9674-ffcd2a609457
  5. Delete old windows

Delete old windows: I just upgraded to SSD and installed fresh windows in it. Nowhow can I delete the old windows installed on my HDD? Will just deleting the windows folder in the drive do the job or is there any workaround?...
  6. Original language residues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Original language residues: My laptop is a HP Probook 4730S and I use Windows 10. The physical keyboard layout is English, but I use Finnish. Problem: After buying my laptop with Windows 10 from a Hungarian student, I changed the language to Finnish. The result was not convincing: especially in the...
  7. How do I delete residue folders?

How do I delete residue folders?: Hello, I installed a game through Xbox (beta) on my second HDD disk. After I decided to delete it, some folders appeared there and they cannot be deleted. [ATTACH] Even after I switched the settings back. [ATTACH] It's really annoying because the files eat 80GB of my...
  8. Delete Old Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete Old Windows: I have a rather large file taking up valuable space on my primary hard drive. I know that long ago perhaps on Windows 7 when that file appeared I just deleted it. That does NOT seem to work well with Windows 10. I tried going into Safe Mode to delete it, but that just got me...
  9. delete windows old

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    delete windows old: how do I delete windows old from my Toshiba tablet it keep saying I need administratorpermmisn https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/delete-windows-old/a4c97ee1-eb22-40b8-8980-5140d8613ce7"
  10. icons refusing to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    icons refusing to delete: I installed chessking but it took over my pgn files, I have a default program for that, so I uninstalled chessking and all that I can find of it is the icons still in my folder where the chess games are stored, my default program still opens them but I do not want...