Windows 10: Resized C partition, no longer boots

Discus and support Resized C partition, no longer boots in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arch Linux. Most Linux distributions recommend at least 512MB for the boot partition, however mine was only 100MB and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dissociative-bitch, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Resized C partition, no longer boots

I am dual booting Windows 10 with Arch Linux. Most Linux distributions recommend at least 512MB for the boot partition, however mine was only 100MB and was unable to hold all of the Linux kernels.

My partition layout was as follows:

sda1 - boot - 100MB

sda2 - Microsoft reserved data - 16MB

sda3 - C drive - 150GB

And then my Linux filesystem.

I attempted to use Minitool Partition Wizard to shrink C to 140GB and allocate 10GB of space before the C drive, so I could move the Microsoft reserved data and resize the boot partition. So after resizing C, the partition layout would have been:

sda1 - boot - 100MB

sda2 - Microsoft reserved data - 16MB

unallocated space - 10GB

sda3 - C drive - 140GB

However, after resizing C, Windows can no longer boot. I am assuming this is because of the C drive no longer beginning at the space where Windows expects it.

When booting my computer, I now get the blue troubleshooting screen that says “your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart Resized C partition, no longer boots :(“. The device shuts off but does not actually restart, and I have to turn it back on manually. When doing this, I run into the same error. I have attempted the automatic troubleshooting, with which it does not find or fix the error.

Should I use the Windows recovery’s command prompt to resize the partition back to fill up that 10GB of space? Or is there a different/better fix for this?

submitted by /u/dissociative-bitch
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dissociative-bitch, Sep 13, 2020

2. Resize partition C

In order to extend C and recover space from D, you will need to delete the 866 MB Healthy Recovery Partition and the Storage D:\ partitions.

There appears to be data on the D:\ partition.

I recommend you backup any important data on that partition before deleting it. After deleting the partitions, you will be able to extend C:\

Steps:

Right click the ‘Healthy (Recovery Paritition) and the
    Storage (DResized C partition, no longer boots :)
    partitions in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition
    (CResized C partition, no longer boots :). Right click the System volume then click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Resizing C partition

Would suggest using Ease us partition manager for this.Disk Management is kinda useless for resizing.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Resized C partition, no longer boots

Partition resized, Windows 8.1 not booting, UEFI

Hi all,

Ok, I have a new lenovo ideapad 305 (system is UEFI boot), I used minitool partition wizard to resize the c: & d: drives (to increase space on the D) but didn't touch anything else, rebooted into windows & it seemed nothing had changed, so I booted up by USB and the partitions were exactly what I had changed them to. Thinking this was really weird, I tried rebooting & have not been able to get into windows since.
    I have tried recovery through the windows 8.1 cd but it does not recognise the partitions at all! So I can't even use diskpart or the like, I have tried several boot recovery tools, some see the partitions & some don't, so I guess I need to make the partitions UEFI-enabled? I'm not fully savvy with UEFI & I've tried every piece of advice I could find, but i'm stuck, any clues?

Thanks for any help!

killer_cain, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Resized C partition, no longer boots

1. Resized C partition, no longer boots - Similar Threads - Resized partition longer

2. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  3. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  4. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  6. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  7. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Best Way to Resize the "C Drive" Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best Way to Resize the "C Drive" Partition: Hello! Does anyone know if the Windows 10 Disk Management tool is the best way to resize a partition? I would like to shrink the partition that the "C" drive is on, and I'm a bit nervous about resizing it while I'm running Windows. Is it okay to use the Disk Management tool...
  9. Resize partition C

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Resize partition C: On partition C is my OS Win 10. I want to extend volume C. I shrank volume D and I got "147.65 GB unallocated". How can I extend volume C using the "147.65 GB unallocated"? Thanks in advance for any help...
  10. How to resize C: partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to resize C: partition: I have the issue that my C: drive is pretty much out of space, I keep getting low space warnings and I've tried moving everything I can to my D: drive. Basically it's a 1.5TB disk with C: and D: partitions. I'd like to take some of the space from D: maybe 100GB and move it to...