Windows 10: Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup

Discus and support Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was trying to make more room on my Windows 10 partition, so I used Gparted Live to reduce partition size by 6GB of the Ubuntu boot. The Ubuntu will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by LeeRiches, Mar 25, 2019.

1. LeeRiches Win User

Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup

I was trying to make more room on my Windows 10 partition, so I used Gparted Live to reduce partition size by 6GB of the Ubuntu boot. The Ubuntu will still boot, but the Windows partition boots with a blue, sad face screen. I get the windows error of 0xc0000225 when starting up. I did not move the left side of the Windows partition, only expanded it, and the partition had at least 60Gb of free space in it. There were no errors while partitioning the boots with Gparted Live.

Gparted Live cannot access the partition, although I can access Windows through Ubuntu and all files are accounted for. The Ubuntu grub for dual-boot does open up. Everything works fine, I can see the Windows partition, though when I open it, it crashes. Both partitions are, I think, legacy BIOS, not UEFI.

I have tried to download a Windows 10 recovery disk onto my USB, though couldn't figure how to run it on ubuntu to use it for Windows.

:)

LeeRiches, Mar 25, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Partition resized, Windows 8.1 not booting, UEFI

Hi all,

Ok, I have a new lenovo ideapad 305 (system is UEFI boot), I used minitool partition wizard to resize the c: & d: drives (to increase space on the D) but didn't touch anything else, rebooted into windows & it seemed nothing had changed, so I booted up by USB and the partitions were exactly what I had changed them to. Thinking this was really weird, I tried rebooting & have not been able to get into windows since.
    I have tried recovery through the windows 8.1 cd but it does not recognise the partitions at all! So I can't even use diskpart or the like, I have tried several boot recovery tools, some see the partitions & some don't, so I guess I need to make the partitions UEFI-enabled? I'm not fully savvy with UEFI & I've tried every piece of advice I could find, but i'm stuck, any clues?

Thanks for any help!

killer_cain, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup

Windows Tech Preview dual boot

Is it possible to dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux? I had Windows installed on the entire disk. I went to disk management to create a partition for Linux (30 GB). When setting up the partition in Ubuntu, the whole disk was; however, no partition was even displayed. You know, how Ubuntu uses colors for different partition types.. the whole thing was gray or white.

Did I do something wrong?

GoFigureItOut, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup

1. Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup - Similar Threads - Resized Partitions Dual

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot: Hi, I resize and moved partition where my windows boot was. Now I am unable to boot windows. Please help. Also, I would like to know the technical details of what happens and why it does not work. Thanks a lot! submitted by /u/last_iteration [link] [comments]...
  4. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  5. merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu: after dual booting win and linıx icant merge two partittions and after this disclaimer it gives this error [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merging-partitions-after-dual-boot-ubuntu/fd74f858-cb1f-418e-8ad3-b865fa8a4f22
  6. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  7. [Solved] Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [Solved] Resized Partitions on Dual-boot Windows with Ubuntu 18.04, Windows crashes on startup: I was trying to make more room on my Windows 10 partition, so I used Gparted Live to reduce partition size by 6GB of the Ubuntu boot. The Ubuntu will still boot, but the Windows partition boots with a blue, sad face screen. I get the windows error of 0xc0000225 when starting...
  8. Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18

Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18: Hi there I tried to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on a Dell XPS laptop. Originally it had Win10. After partitioning and installing Ubuntu, Windows now no longer booting. "no accessible boot device" I tried to change many settings in BIOS: SATA: AHCI UEFI...
  9. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  10. Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.: I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore (couldn't create or find system partition). I tried various attempts with diskpart to repair the bootsector and MBR, to no...