Windows 10: Resolution Issues

Discus and support Resolution Issues in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi There Over the weekend I bought a Lenovo U41 14" 256 SSD, 8GB RAM Laptop from John Lewis. I used to have a 3 15" HP Compaq. The lenovo came with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by DataDave, Nov 9, 2015.

1. DataDave Win User

Resolution Issues

Hi There

Over the weekend I bought a Lenovo U41 14" 256 SSD, 8GB RAM Laptop from John Lewis. I used to have a 3 15" HP Compaq.
    The lenovo came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10. Its wonderfully fast and light weight. The problem I have is the resolution. It is set to 1920 x something and I feel this is too small for some applications I am using. I changed to display settings in the new Windows10 display screen to 1024 x something, and I have black bars down the side. I must admit I havent switched it on since to see if they have dissapeared as I am at work. Please can you tell me how to get a full screen with a smaller resolution that 1920 x ?.

Other than that issue, I am very happy with it. But I am slight frustrated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

DataDave, Nov 9, 2015
  2. JoseG21 Win User

Resolution issues

I fixed it.

Control Panel and driver resolution were on two different settings.

JoseG21, Nov 9, 2015
  3. Resolution issue

I can't change the resolution its blocked out.

sora akuma, Nov 9, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Resolution Issues

To fill the screen on a standard monitor, you have to set the resolution to the maximum it can handle (native). If the picture is offset, then you solve that by pressing the Auto button (or select auto from the menu of the monitor).

To fill the screen on a TV you may have to press the picture size button a couple of times (after setting the resolution to native).

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    Hi Dave, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Your laptop's display has an aspect ratio 16:9 and a native resolution of 1920*1080(¹), you have selected a 4:3 ratio resolution 1024 * 768 which automatically leaves black bars on the sides.

The solution, the way to use the full display is simple, you need to use one of the for your laptop available 16:9 resolutions:
    • 1280*720
    • 1366*768
    • 1600*900
    • 1920*1080

(¹)You can calculate it by yourself:
    1920/16=120
    120*9=1080
    Ergo, the aspect ratio is 16:9

Totally irrelevant, nothing to do with the OP's issue.

Kari, Nov 9, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    I just told the OP to set the resolution to the max the monitor can handle (native resolution). This will fill the screen and is relevant.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    You were talking about standard monitor and TV, when OP asked about laptop display, which by the way has no "Auto" button. In addition you said the that "to fill the screen on a standard monitor, you have to set the resolution to the maximum it can handle (native)", which is not true. You can use any resolution, also smaller than the native, as long as the aspect ratio is the same.

The OP's issue has nothing whatsoever to do with the physical monitor's settings, it was and is a plain and simple aspect ratio issue. You do not get a full display on 16:9 display with a 4:3 resolution, at least without totally skewed and wrongly scaled image.

Kari, Nov 9, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Resolution Issues

Yes, maybe I didn't pay attention and thought he was trying to connect to a monitor...OK

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Resolution Issues

1. Resolution Issues - Similar Threads - Resolution Issues

2. Virtual PC - Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual PC - Resolution issue: I've got a client/Venue that uses a virtual PC as their main server for their business.The issue we are having is that the resolution has reverted to something other than the recommended settings it was on 1920x1080. This had happened after a restart and updates were applied...
  3. Virtual PC - Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual PC - Resolution issue: I've got a client/Venue that uses a virtual PC as their main server for their business.The issue we are having is that the resolution has reverted to something other than the recommended settings it was on 1920x1080. This had happened after a restart and updates were applied...
  4. Virtual PC - Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 setup/installer resolution issues on MacBook Pro

Windows 10 setup/installer resolution issues on MacBook Pro: Windows 10 is impossible to install inside the Installer/Setup because the display resolution is in a weird state with display content not being visible or being dirtorted. im not even able to click ‘next‘. Its just on my MacBook Pro, not on any other computer. what should I...
  6. Windows 10 setup/installer resolution issues on MacBook Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 setup/installer resolution issues on MacBook Pro: Windows 10 is impossible to install inside the Installer/Setup because the display resolution is in a weird state with display content not being visible or being dirtorted. im not even able to click ‘next‘. Its just on my MacBook Pro, not on any other computer. what should I...
  7. Windows 10 setup/installer resolution issues on MacBook Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions: Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-have-a-issue-of-dpc-watchdog-violation-need/878533ba-3f7e-41a8-abe2-0989eec34e15
  9. Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions

Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions: Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-have-a-issue-of-dpc-watchdog-violation-need/878533ba-3f7e-41a8-abe2-0989eec34e15
  10. Hi i have a issue of DPC watchdog violation need urgent resolutions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging