Windows 10: Resolution problems

Discus and support Resolution problems in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have two screens; The main one I use is a 47" 1080p tv. The other one is a 20.1" 1680x1050 max monitor which I use in another room which is used a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by SgtRock, Aug 3, 2015.

1. SgtRock Win User

Resolution problems

I have two screens; The main one I use is a 47" 1080p tv. The other one is a 20.1" 1680x1050 max monitor which I use in another room which is used a few times a week.
    For some reason, I can't seem to lower the resolution of either monitors lower than 1080p. I set the main one to 720p, the screen seems to change (icons and text get larger), but when I use the tv remote to view the resolution, it still shows 1080p. When I duplicate the displays to the 1050max monitor, windows 10 tries to set the resolution to 1080p and the monitor image shrinks to just a line of light and has a high pitched sound coming from it, and is unusable... and may possibly damage the monitor. Trying to lower the resolution during that time doesn't work... it shows that it's changing, the screen flickers and comes back on, but the monitors still show 1080p even though the icons, text, etc. all look like 720p (or whatever res. I set it to).
    I've tried pretty much everything from changing the AMD CCC resolutions to the Windows 10 display resolutions, and nothing works. The only way to actually get the 20 inch monitor to work is to physically unplug the 47" monitor and reboot using the 20", and that's very annoying to do.
    I'm just wondering if I'm missing something? After the full install (not upgrade) I didn't change any of the settings, when I first tried to connect both monitors. Lowering the resolution does not work, it just looks like it does, but the monitors stay at 1080p. Do I have a bad windows 10 install and should I reinstall it? On my other HD I still have windows 7, and everything works as it should, but windows 10 has that major problem.

I5-4670k
    AMD 7950

:)

SgtRock, Aug 3, 2015

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Luis F # Win User
    Resolution Problem

This is how I finally fix 1600x900 problem in my W-10 upgrade.

I looked into my old -Downloads- files and reinstall the following

application that was deleted by W-10 installation;

6.08-Nvidia-System-Tools file version 4.0.100.1190 size 71.8 MB

I have a HP p6203w Desktop

windows 7 home prem - default OS

video card-NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 v. 309.08

Good Luck- Luis

Luis F #, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Resolution problems

I am assuming after installing WinX you updated all your display drivers? If you would provide a bit more insight into your system it would facilitate troubleshooting this problem. couple questions come to mind 1) are these both running off of 1 GPU or is there a crossfire set up? 2) what are your system specs as far as what GPU are you running, how its connected to the monitors in question. Any information you can provide will greatly help any of us here to help you with your issue.

Hellishdream, Aug 3, 2015
  5. SgtRock Win User
    just 1 gpu with drivers updated, uninstalled, reinstalled x7 or more times with different driver versions dating back close to 2 years till present, main is hdmi, 20" is dvi-d

SgtRock, Aug 3, 2015
  6. SgtRock Win User
    I found the problem; I had to change the actual monitor resolution by changing the Adapter Properties' "List all modes" pull down menu from the display settings and Display adapter properties link. Any other attempt to change the monitor's resolution ended up only changing the screen resolution, thereby keeping the monitor to the "recommended setting" of 1080p. It looked like it was changed, but only the desktop changes.

SgtRock, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Resolution problems

1. Resolution problems - Similar Threads - Resolution problems

2. How can I fix a big screen resolution problem??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I fix a big screen resolution problem??: I suddenly changed the settings of display resolution and it's showing too big a screen .. and now I can't fix this ...how can I fix this ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-a-big-screen-resolution-problem/b7f6a29d-57f5-4d19-bf0c-8bc5ff4ca49c
  3. How can I fix a big screen resolution problem??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I fix a big screen resolution problem??: I suddenly changed the settings of display resolution and it's showing too big a screen .. and now I can't fix this ...how can I fix this ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-a-big-screen-resolution-problem/b7f6a29d-57f5-4d19-bf0c-8bc5ff4ca49c
  4. GTA 5 screen resolution laptop problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GTA 5 screen resolution laptop problem: i try to play gta 5, the screen resolution on the in-game setting menu stuck at 1366x768, i want to change that to 800x600 my laptop is not high spec , this is my specs:IntelR CoreTM i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.50 GHz16GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 520Laptop lenovo thinkpad...
  5. GTA 5 screen resolution laptop problem

GTA 5 screen resolution laptop problem: i try to play gta 5, the screen resolution on the in-game setting menu stuck at 1366x768, i want to change that to 800x600 my laptop is not high spec , this is my specs:IntelR CoreTM i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.50 GHz16GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 520Laptop lenovo thinkpad...
  6. GTA 5 screen resolution laptop problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. RESOLUTION PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RESOLUTION PROBLEM: so when i check in my display settings in my display menu it shows that "optimum mode resolution 1920x1080" but when i want to change the resolution through windows i says it only supports 1024x768 what do i do? monitor model: Samsung S22C170...
  8. RESOLUTION PROBLEM

RESOLUTION PROBLEM: so when i check in my display settings in my display menu it shows that "optimum mode resolution 1920x1080" but when i want to change the resolution through windows i says it only supports 1024x768 what do i do? monitor model: Samsung S22C170...
  9. RESOLUTION PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Display/Resolution Problem

Display/Resolution Problem: Hello, I have a brand new Lenovo IdeaPad Pro 5 laptop with Windows 11 which I bought recently, and I've been facing a really weird problem: I sometimes can't change resolution because the option is grayed out: I enter the display settings, right before the resolution...