Windows 10: Resolution To Nonfunctioning Start Button???

Discus and support Resolution To Nonfunctioning Start Button??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I, like many others have been plagued by the nonfunctioning Start Button and Search Window. And I have only had the upgraded Windows 10 (from Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zinko368, Jan 18, 2016.

1. zinko368 Win User

Resolution To Nonfunctioning Start Button???

I, like many others have been plagued by the nonfunctioning Start Button and Search Window. And I have only had the upgraded Windows 10 (from Windows 7) for about a month. Multiple web searches have yielded multiple possible fixes, but it seems none of those fixes apply to all cases or to all who are experiencing this problem nor do any seem to be permanent.

My question is: Has anyone heard or does anyone know just what Microsoft is doing about this ongoing problem? Is there an update/fix in the works? Is there a permanent fix or remedy to this problem that I just haven't found yet?

:)

zinko368, Jan 18, 2016

2. Windows update app plus others

I've just noticed that over the past few days my Windows 10 Home Creators Edition build 15063rs2. has developed problems.

I can't access the Windows update app - nothing happens. When I ran the troubleshooter, there was a message about an update needing to be completed. I've since run the directions for 'service registration is missing or corrupt,' and now I get an error
    message 0x80070057.

My Windows start menu is nonfunctional. I've installed WindowsBlinds just to access my programs.

The display properties applet doesn't work. Nothing happens.

The Windows Defender tray icon is nonfunctional, although I can access it from the executable in its directory.

The action center is nonfunctional - doesn't open.

The taskbar and navigation applet is nonfunctional - nothing happens.

It looks as though these problems all started at the same time, apparently due to some problem with a failed update.

I've checked for malware with no results.

DennisLangton, Jan 18, 2016
  3. Scheduling an event in the calendar application associated with the calendar tile.

I continue to check whether the functionality of the calendar tile/schedule event among the start tiles functions and this nonfunctional problem has still not been addressed.

Alan

Alan Ridzinski, Jan 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, some have found Avast antivirus to blame. But that's by no means the only possibility.

As you've upgraded, not clean installed, it is possible you have some conflict with an installed program.

You could try a clean boot, and see what happens, and then install Shellexview (free), make sure you hide MS shell extensions and disable the rest. (Doesn't require you to log off).

After that, I'd suggest an in-place upgrade repair install. (Instructions available in the Tutorial section).

dalchina, Jan 18, 2016
  5. What are the behaviors of the non-functioning Start Menu? Does it just not open when you click the Windows logo?

Upgrading is great to secure your digital entitlement, but I always recommend a clean install of Windows 10 right afterwards. Those systems seem to be quite a bit more stable and have less issues than ones that were only upgraded.

DeaconFrost, Jan 18, 2016
  6. zinko368 Win User
    The start button (and search window) do not open, they do nothing when left clicked. The start button (but not the search window) will respond when right clicked. This has happened 3 times, right out of the blue, since I did the upgrade. The temporary fix that has worked for me has been to right click the start button, open task manager, go to windows explorer and then restart windows explorer. Then after everything is back up/on and running on the desk top and task bar I close task manager, restart my laptop and the start button and search window are working again. **Found this "fix" after much searching and use it because it is the simplest.

Looks like I may have to check out the clean install route/process. Could be an adventure, as I am one of "those people" that does fine when my computer is functioning OK but has absolutely no tech sense, knowledge or ability to deal with situations when things go wrong.

zinko368, Jan 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  8. Kyricus Win User

I've not been able to find a solution to this since I upgraded back in November. Occasionally it will start to work again, then stop after a shutdown.

Only thing I've found to do is install Classic Shell start menu and use it instead. Works perfectly. My new laptop with a fresh install of Windows 10 so far has worked flawlessly. I'm assuming the problem is a corruption due to the upgrade from Windows 7. However i have years and years of file associations and directory links on this machine, and I'm unwilling at this point to wipe everything and install fresh. So, I used Classic Shell. Works great.

As an aside, the latest big upgrade to windows 10 also wiped out my Soundblaster X-FI, and I'm unable to unistall the drivers. Needless to say this upgrade was not painless for me.

Kyricus, Jan 19, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, like you, I use Classic Shell as the Win 10 start menu is all but useless to me and worse than useless as it fails to express my hierarchical start menu properly.

However the menu has always worked, both in a 32 bit upgrade and a 64 bit clean install now with a lot of desktop programs installed.

Experimenting with Shellexview should be painless - it's a great free tool from Nirsoft, often used to diagnose context menu issues, for example. As ever, before changing settings, make a backup for safety.

However, you also mention Cortana (the search box on the taskbar- which can be hidden if you wish) is not working properly.

The in-place upgrade install may well fix those problems, unless it's a conflict , hence check conflicts first.
    It also keeps almost all associations and programs (I found one association changed afterwards).

You can save and recover your associations (see Tutorial section).

Note that if the 'big upgrade' was to build 10586 (November build) that did reset associations to MS default- very annoying. Hope they won't repeat that.

Of course you can just take the view I basically do- use win 10 as a desktop, ignore Cortana and the Win 10 start menu, and don't bother if they're broken. (Whereas I prefer to keep them working).

dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Does the Soundblaster show in Device Manager? If not under "View" you can choose to "Show Hidden Devices"

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Resolution To Nonfunctioning Start Button??? - Similar Threads - Resolution Nonfunctioning Start

2. Start button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button: when I close out of whatever app I am in, rather than seeing the desktop, I am treated to what looks similar to the start screen even though full-screen start is off. this page seems to be titled "pinned apps", and behind it I can see my desktop pic, but not the desktop...
  3. Start button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start button: Start button does not show program list or power down options. Can you assist please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button/2c337b41-0aa1-40cc-82d7-2c4bf4f35ac4
  4. start button

start button: I lost my original screen that was a custom-setup for my programs that I use. Is there a way to get the original start screen back? The way it came from the software company? thank you....
  5. Taskbar buttons to change resolution quickly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar buttons to change resolution quickly?: Looking for a way to add a button to the taskbar that will quickly set the resolution on that display between 4K and 1080p when clicked, has anyone seen anything like this? submitted by /u/borillionstar [link] [comments]...
  6. Microsoft Store Nonfunctional

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Nonfunctional: My Microsoft Store App is completely broken. I've run the basic troubleshooter and it led me to Reset the App from Apps & Features however the Microsoft Store is missing from that list. The app button is available on my Start menu but when I click it the window opens with...
  7. Start Button

Start Button: my start button will not display any programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/start-button/1e6f2289-fdaf-4fa0-b9eb-347dc509f1fa
  8. Start button

Start button: The start key has stopped working (the one that looks like a window), how do I fix this. I can't access any of my apps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-button/a3d0a83e-ea63-47ea-a90e-1260d1e16c1f
  9. Lock screen slideshows nonfunctioning

Lock screen slideshows nonfunctioning: Hi all Long time, no see! Anyways i'm having a problem with the lock screen on my laptop. I initially wanted to have the Windows spotlight feature run, and that is not working. (ie I set spotlight in Settings and it just keeps default background.) I then resolved to download...
  10. Start Button

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button: The Start Button and Cortana went off the screen at the bottom. I know I still have them if I switch the taskbar to the right of the screen in a vertical position. Both the Start Button and Cortana will now show. So how do I get them to show if I switch the taskbar from the...