Windows 10: [Resolved] 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search

Discus and support [Resolved] 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; UPDATE: The problem resolved itself without any intervention. --------------------- Since this afternoon, launching programs by typing in the Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Brandon-W, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Brandon-W Win User

[Resolved] 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search

UPDATE: The problem resolved itself without any intervention.

---------------------

Since this afternoon, launching programs by typing in the Start search bar will open 3 instances of that app. So if I press the WINDOWS KEY, type "Notepad" or "Note" then hit ENTER, three Notepad windows will open. It does this for any program that can run multiple instances/windows at once (Edge, Chrome, Word, File Explorer, etc).

I first noticed this happening when I had to open device manager this afternoon to re-install my Synaptics Touchpad driver. Somehow, 3 instances of Device Manager had opened instead of 1. (Occasionally I re-install the touchpad driver because the two-finger scroll and any gestures suddenly stop working. I assume that's another unrelated problem.)

Things I did today that could be the cause:

• I ran a .batch file that looped Cinebench R15 for benchmarking purposes. The command, which I did not come up with myself (I know, probably a bad idea to run a command I found online), is as follows:

for /l %%x in (1, 1, 13) do (

"C:\Users\[Name]\Downloads\Installers\CINEBENCH_R15\Cinebench R15.exe" -cb_cpux >>"C:\Users\[Name]\Downloads\Documents\CB15.txt"

)

pause

What the .bat does is open Cinebench, run the multi-threaded benchmark (-cb_cpux part I think), then output the result in CB15.txt. It runs the benchmark 13 times. I am not sure that the 1, 1, part of the command relates do. The batch file did do what it was intended to do, so I'm not sure if it could be the culprit.

• As mentioned above, I re-updated my Synaptics Touchpad driver (to an older version) to fix the touchpad scrolling. I have done this multiple times before and have never had any issue with it.
    • Opening programs using the actualy Start menu tiles did NOT cause multiple instances to be run
    • Starting programs via "Run" (WIN + R) sometimes (rarely) opened 3 instances (e.g. for Notepad), or at least I think it did when I was diagnosing the issue
      • Update: "Run" no longer opens 3 instances, only 1 like normal (yay!)

Things I tried to fix the problem with no success:

• Restarting the laptop
    • Updating Windows (to latest 1903 Cumulative update)
    • Ending the "Start" task in Task Manager multiple times
    • I rebooted in Safe Mode (without Networking) and the problem still persisted

System info:

• Model: HP Spectre x360 15" (15-df0008ca)
      • i7-8565U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
    • OS: Windows 10 Education (while trying to fix my issue, I updated to the latest version available: 1903, build 18362.387)
      • I generally update ASAP so the previous version of Windows that I was running, when the issue first appeared, could not have been more than a week old.
      • Previously ran Windows 10 Home, until about 2 weeks ago.

I would really appreciate if anyone has an idea of why this is happening. It's mostly just annoying and can be dealt with, but I'd like to know if something was wrong with my device. Thanks in advance! Cheers!

:)

Brandon-W, Oct 2, 2019

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 2, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Oct 2, 2019
  4. Clark Ari Win User

Search result app in windows 10 start menu not working

Hi Yusong,

This issue likely occurs due to corrupted system files. Since you already tried several troubleshooting steps, we suggest this time to repair your
    Windows 10 Start menu. To troubleshoot your issue in launching an app through the
    Start menu, we recommend that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. This will be able to help you resolve your issue about launching an app.

Feel free to post back if need further assistance.

Clark Ari, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

1. [Resolved] 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search - Similar Threads - Resolved instances each

2. Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps: Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps.When I type in the name of software that I know I have on my PC or I type in any Windows features, nothing happens...
  3. Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps: Start Menu: "Search" feature doesn't open any apps.When I type in the name of software that I know I have on my PC or I type in any Windows features, nothing happens...
  4. The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open: This issue started appearing after moving some files from my c drive to my d drive because I was low on space, and more problems started to appear after I followed some troubleshooters. I've tried rebooting everything from the task manager, I've scanned for viruses, but...
  5. Search launches with start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search launches with start menu: [ATTACH] After updating windows, every time I press the windows button, the search function also pops up. I tried killing it with the task manager but that doesn't fix it. Please help!...
  6. Is there a fix to icons not showing up when searching via start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a fix to icons not showing up when searching via start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheGoshDamnBatman [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/glkjwo/is_there_a_fix_to_icons_not_showing_up_when/
  7. Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances: To open an application from the search bar, I normally type in the applications name until it appears on the top of the list (and highlighted) and then press the keyboard return key. What used to happen is that one copy of the application would open, but having upgraded to...
  8. 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search: Since this afternoon, launching programs by typing in the Start search bar will open 3 instances of that app. So if I press the WINDOWS KEY, type "Notepad" or "Note" then hit ENTER, three Notepad windows will open. It does this for any program that can run multiple...
  9. Start menu or search won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu or search won't open: I did a clean install of w10 from w7 a couple of months ago and everything has been running fine until about a week ago since when I've not been able open the start menue. Reading through other posts on line with the same problem has not provided a solution so far. I've ran...
  10. CU - Start Menu bugs out and won't launch searched apps

in Windows 10 Support
    CU - Start Menu bugs out and won't launch searched apps: So I've been getting this really weird behaviour from the Start menu search tool. If I type in something like Paint or AMD (To launch Paint or AMD's config tool) the icon appears in the list, but clicking it does nothing. Can't even right click launch them. Some apps like...