Windows 10: RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from...

Discus and support RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a reply/resolution to feedback that I had submitted a while back, that I had for over a year of trying to install the latest updates of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlienJr., Aug 14, 2018.

1. AlienJr. Win User

RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from...

This is a reply/resolution to feedback that I had submitted a while back, that I had for over a year of trying to install the latest updates of Windows 10, and the issues i was having, My suggestion is that the Microsoft team really needs to look into this issue, and try to resolve it to prevent it from happening to anyone else. My issues were as follows;

"
    Hey everyone!

So ever since the Microsoft Creator's update dropped last year, my computer was one of the many people/machines experiencing the "Freezing at 81% installing update and rolling back to previous installation," here it is roughly a year later, new updates have come out, i've finally been able to install "SOME" semblance of the creator's updates via windows 10 updates directly, (update 1607, Finally able to use 3D scanning!!!) but trying to install the update to 1709 is STILL freezing my machine at 81%! Even worse, is that Windows Update STILL keeps trying to ENFORCE these broken updates to be installed onto my machine and keeps having to roll back the installation every single time I encounter it!!!

I've contacted Microsoft technical support a few months back (Both via Live Chat & Phone) and they said that the reason was due to my hardware being older and incompatible? My build specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO

Processor: Intel i7 920

16gb RAM

I could understand some off-brand hardware being incompatible from a different manufacturer, but Intel parts not being supported seems rather odd; regardless of how old they might be (nearly 10 years now), especially since otherwise Windows 10 runs just fine on this hardware (aside from this recurring "Hiccup" of this "particular" update not installing)

Back in the days of Windows XP running on an old laptop of mine, I had encountered an issue where some updates just refused to install (I believe it was some kind of Visual Studio runtime libraries?) and it kept hanging on those updates; in order to fix the issue i had to locate the problematic downloads on the machine then delete them manually; only then was i finally able to get them to re-download and install correctly; This Current issue feels like i've gone back in time, but there's no way to fix this issue...

I had considered trying to do a wipe/install of a fresh copy, but the problem is I have too many sensitive files/programs installed that I can't really risk blowing them away and try to piece everything back together when it's hard to get everything back; not to mention that these issues shouldn't be existent in the first place, let alone STILL be a recurring issue a year later!

Can somebody, PLEASE resolve this so that we can all be up to date with Windows 10 and not have any of these issues/vulnerabilities???

"

The Microsoft team responded with:
    "

Jennifer Bri

Hello,

Corrupted update can be related to the issue that you're having for a year. Since this has been an ongoing issue for quite some time and you have done several troubleshooting steps but the issue is still the same, we suggest that you perform a repair upgrade. This will install Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk, using your installation DVD or ISO file. Performing this can resolve your issue without affecting your personal files, settings and installed applications. Follow the detailed steps provided by one of our MVPs, Andre Da Costa from the link that we have provided.

Should the issue persists after you performed a repair upgrade, we recommend to submit a feedback in our Feedback Hub. From there, you'll be able to submit a new issue where Microsoft developers will cater it.

You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done
    5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Keep us posted on how it goes.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

"
    <TL;DR>

This however, did not resolve any issues, and yet the Microsoft team closed the issue and marked it as "Resolved" when it was not.

I later found out through an online search months later, that the reason why the installation freezes at 81 percent is due to a "Halt" with the installation when it comes across the PCI-Express Wi-Fi card (if your computer has one). Removing the Wi-Fi card from the computer completely allows the update to fully complete the installation to my Dismay; as this should not have been a Common issue (with other people as well) trying to install Microsoft Windows Updates!

I hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue!

:)

AlienJr., Aug 14, 2018
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Windows 10 updates always freeze at 81%

Hi HBV_804,

A corrupted Windows Update system files is one of the possible reasons why the Windows Update always freeze at 81%. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?

Meanwhile, I would suggest that you try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot Windows Update issues.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Windows 10 Computer Randomly Freezes

Hi,

Listed below are some possibilities why the computer keeps on freezing:

• Outdated drivers.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.

We suggest performing the steps on this article that can help resolve the issue.

Get back to us if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

1. RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from... - Similar Threads - RESOLVED you'd Still

2. How to make my Windows Feature Update "unstuck" from 81%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make my Windows Feature Update "unstuck" from 81%: I am wondering why my Windows Feature Upgrade is stuck at 81%. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-windows-feature-update-unstuck-from/ab5ff511-9327-4ec2-8dee-8902fc090a04
  3. Windows 10 reinstallation stuck at 81%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reinstallation stuck at 81%: Recently my laptop a HP pavilion gaming laptop became nearly unusably slow so after trying many other solutions I tried to reinstall windows through the recovery settings with the cloud, however it’s been stuck on 81% for a few hours now. I unplugged my mouse and keyboard...
  4. 81

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    81: 222222222 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/81/89314e94-d421-40c2-96a0-4e4a920b338c
  5. Windows 10 repetitive 81% update

Windows 10 repetitive 81% update: Hello, if you wish to address me by my name, call me Jay. I seem to be having the same issue as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/54b97c70-1d11-44cb-818b-0689167928d8, and i don’t know if its fixed. I tried actually wiping it! It got stuck at 81% the 1 singular fan...
  6. How To Resolve Firefox Freezing up on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Resolve Firefox Freezing up on Windows 10?: https://instanthelpsolution.com/blog/mozilla-firefox-freezing-up/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-resolve-firefox-freezing-up-on-windows-10/1d685e07-4460-4ca7-abfc-2b1095342320
  7. windows 10 stuck at 81%

windows 10 stuck at 81%: Windows 10 update is stuck at 81% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-stuck-at-81/169880c0-39a9-413b-aca4-6d36442c798a
  8. Windows 10 updates freeze at 55% & 81%

Windows 10 updates freeze at 55% & 81%: I have been trying now for 3 days to get the updates into this machine.. Updates waiting to be installed are windows 10 version 1803 and windows 10 version 1809 The updates freeze at 55%, I force a restart and the update begins where it left off, goes to 81% and freezes,...
  9. windows 10 update freezes at 81%

windows 10 update freezes at 81%: Windows 10 update freezes at 81% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-freezes-at-81/41507897-0d3f-423e-8196-e5cb06a0f143
  10. windows update 1803 freezes at 81%

windows update 1803 freezes at 81%: windows update 1803 freezes at 81% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-1803-freezes-at-81/a7429edf-b292-46b2-b3f1-1ce54fd6039f