Windows 10: Resolved - External Hard Drive - On

Discus and support Resolved - External Hard Drive - On in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; With Windows 7, my external hard drives 3 of them would automatically connect switched on and seamlessly eject using the Safely Remove Hardware and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hey there MSSW, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Resolved - External Hard Drive - On

With Windows 7, my external hard drives 3 of them would automatically connect switched on and seamlessly eject using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media Utility at bottom right.

Windows 10, I initially had issues not being able to seamlessly eject one external hard drive. Tried fixing with the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter by typing msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic at the cmd prompt. The Hardware and Device trubleshooter did not fix the issue. I still resort to using the Control Panel, Device Manager to uninstall one of the hard drives. Also, in Computer Manager, Offline does not appear as a context menu option.

My issue is when I reconnect the external hard drive in Windows 10, it is switched off. I have to manually switch it on. Whereas in Windows 7, I do not switch them off when I eject them; when I reconnect them, they are automatically on which is logical as they were on when they were ejected. I prefer how Windows 7 does it because the on/off switch part of the external hard drive is of a mechanical nature. The on/off switch can break down while the external hard drive itself is perfectly functioning. When that time comes, it will be an issue as I cannot use it if I do not have a way of turning it on. I did a right-click on the external hard drive in File Explorer, clicked on Properties, but there is nothing there that would make the external hard drive stay on.

Any ideas, solutions? Thanks in advance.

:)

Hey there MSSW, Jun 29, 2020
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Resolved - External Hard Drive - On

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Resolved - External Hard Drive - On

1. Resolved - External Hard Drive - On - Similar Threads - Resolved External Hard

2. Need Help Resolving 'Access Denied' Error on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help Resolving 'Access Denied' Error on External Hard Drive: I am reaching out for assistance with resolving an 'Access Denied' error that I'm experiencing on my external hard drive. I have tried a couple of troubleshooting steps, but the issue persists, and I'm seeking further guidance.Firstly, I attempted to resolve the problem by...
  3. Need Help Resolving 'Access Denied' Error on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need Help Resolving 'Access Denied' Error on External Hard Drive: I am reaching out for assistance with resolving an 'Access Denied' error that I'm experiencing on my external hard drive. I have tried a couple of troubleshooting steps, but the issue persists, and I'm seeking further guidance.Firstly, I attempted to resolve the problem by...
  4. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  5. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. External hard drive

External hard drive: How can I open the contents of my exteral G-drive USB on my windows 10 HP laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/6d746bbd-2b6d-42d5-9112-955e1ed8bcb5
  9. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive: I don't know how to retrieve files from my external hard drive. On file explore there used to be a link to click. it's not there anymore. I have a Seagate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/1136c02a-ab6f-48c4-8db1-71c2791ecc45"
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...