Windows 10: *RESOLVED* Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also

Discus and support *RESOLVED* Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, Trying to troubleshoot a strange issue that just started happening to my PC. I noticed when running Task Manager that the window was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DylanOfTheDead, Jan 25, 2020.

1. *RESOLVED* Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also

Hello,

Trying to troubleshoot a strange issue that just started happening to my PC. I noticed when running Task Manager that the window was "flashing" -- all the text and icons are flickering a little faster than once per second. Doing some searching around, I found that all the system menu windows do the same thing -- Device Manager, right-click context menus, etc. But normal applications are running fine.

Investigating further, I found that in the bottom right "system tray" whatever the menu is called that opens when you click the ^ icon in the bottom right has a flashing icon of a microphone. If I go to Taskbar Settings, "Turn system icons on or off", and turn off the Microphone icon, that icon stops flashing. But all my windows are still flickering.

This issue started happening shortly after I installed a second 8GB RAM stick. I don't know if that's related, but the RAM is working fine as far as I can tell. It shows the new correct amount of RAM in all the appropriate menus, and system performance has improved -- except for this strange flickering behavior.

Can anyone recommend troubleshooting steps I can try, to pinpoint the source of this problem and correct it? I've googled around a bit but not found anything specifically relevant. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I believe I have found and resolved the cause of the issue. The desktop app "NVIDIA Container" was repeatedly accessing my microphone for a fraction of a second at a time. Updating that application seems to have resolved the issue.

:)

DylanOfTheDead, Jan 25, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jan 25, 2020
  3. VinceB Win User
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

Hi:

I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 version 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting updates automatically from Microsoft.

Observations:

When booting the PC, after the login screen, it is taking an unusual amount of time to load the "image" part of the desktop icons; sometimes, the filenames' text appear first and quickly, and then a delay occurs before the icon images are "painted" onto the monitor's screen. I also noticed that while having File Manager opened, the same file names blink in the directory structure pane, at the far left.
    I have allowed the PC to run overnight, and, upon returning and making use of browser for a period of approximately ten minutes, Windows crashes: the flashing taskbar icons disappear and are replaced with blank, box outlines; there is no response when clicking on a desktop icon or on a pinned taskbar's blank box; this happened several times; I had to reboot PC to regain control of taskbar and desktop icons.

What I have tried thus far and results:

1. I ran the inbuilt DELL diagnostics, and all hardware passed the "thorough" tests.
    2. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Windows 10 - How to Fix Screen Flashing and Flickering Issue - YouTube, and by using msconfig, to locate and uncheck the boxes for two services: (1) WindowsErrorReporting and (2) ProblemsReportandSolutions.
    I also uninstalled iCloud, which was suggested in that same YouTube video. But the flashing continues. This was done during Windows normal mode (while icons were blinking).
    I then performed these same steps while in Windows Safe Mode with Networking​; same results: flashing continues. (I struggle each time I atempt to find Windows Safe Mode booting.)

So, it does not appear that the (1) and (2) services nor iCloud are the cause of this problem.

3. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Disable Flashing Taskbar buttons or icons on Windows 10 taskbar - YouTube, and using regedit to locate (1) ForegroundFlashCount (set at 7h) and (2) ForegroundLockTimeout (set at 30d40h) and reset each of those to 0 (zero). The result of doing that is no improvement/change in the flashing icons. Have since reset these two services to 7h and 30d40h.

So, it appears that hacking those REG DWORDs has not helped me.

4. I also used Windows Restore to go back to 4 OCT 2018. That has not helped, either.
    5. While running Windows in Normal Mode, I have stopped the Windows Search service using Administrator Tools>Services, but did not help. Have restarted the Windows Search service.
    6. At some point along the line, I ran System File Check routine; found no errors. Ran DMIS(?);found no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

TNX.

VinceB, Jan 25, 2020
  4. *RESOLVED* Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also

flashing icons on taskbar

Hi

I Suddenly Have My Icons flashing on taskbar and cannot seem to stop them flashing

just wondering what might cause it and a remedy

Thanks Eric

EricLake47, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

*RESOLVED* Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also

1. *RESOLVED* Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also - Similar Threads - *RESOLVED* Flashing microphone

2. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable taskbar icon flashing: Hello,I am trying to disable the annoying flashing in the taskbar. I have found multiple articles online asking the same thing and none of the steps have worked. Here is what I tried.1 Disable "show badges on taskbard buttons"2 Change the registry key valuesNone of the above...
  3. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable taskbar icon flashing: Hello,I am trying to disable the annoying flashing in the taskbar. I have found multiple articles online asking the same thing and none of the steps have worked. Here is what I tried.1 Disable "show badges on taskbard buttons"2 Change the registry key valuesNone of the above...
  4. Disable taskbar icon flashing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  6. ISO Help With Flashing Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ISO Help With Flashing Taskbar Icons: [ATTACH] So at work, we use teams for communication. I am a part of many group chats and therefore get a lot of notifications from it. My problem is that every time I get a notification (often unrelated to me) my hidden taskbar pops up and does not go away again until...
  7. Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Flashing microphone icon in taskbar, all system windows flashing also: Hello, Trying to troubleshoot a strange issue that just started happening to my PC. I noticed when running Task Manager that the window was "flashing" -- all the text and icons are flickering a little faster than once per second. Doing some searching around, I found that...
  8. Taskbar icon flashing

Taskbar icon flashing: When you start a program in Windows, the icon on the taskbar flashes Orange, presumably to alert you that it's open (as though you did not know already that XD). I want it to not do that. It is incredibly distracting, and not very user-friendly trying to work and iTunes or...
  9. Taskbar icons flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taskbar icons flashing: Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve it. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, go to any folder which contains a .avi video file, the taskbar icons will start flashing or blinking non stop. As soon as I close the Explorer, the blinking stops. Please help!...
  10. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidia container using my microphone icon keeps appearing and disappearing

2. flashing icons on desktop windows 10