Windows 10: RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

Discus and support RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I use Phone Link on my Windows 11 PC to text message through my Samsung S22+ phone. I use the desktop Outlook client on my PC and have my Outlook... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by bailey_wm_f, Oct 6, 2022.

1. RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

I use Phone Link on my Windows 11 PC to text message through my Samsung S22+ phone. I use the desktop Outlook client on my PC and have my Outlook contacts synchronize with the Samsung Contacts app on my phone. A couple of months ago, I began to notice that the names and photos of some of the people with whom I text were no longer showing up in the Phone Link "Messages" list; just their phone numbers. Also, when I clicked "+ New message" in Phone Link, and typed their name, they never showed up in the list of matching contacts from which to choose. This was very frustrating, especially since th

:)

bailey_wm_f, Oct 6, 2022
  2. MisterEd Win User

YOUR PHONE not displaying photos

What functionality Phone Link (Your Phone) has depends upon the level of support it has for your phone. It seems that mostly Samsung phone have the most support. I have a Samsung S21 5G which works pretty good with Phone Link.

The first time and once in a while after that I have to retrieve my phone and give permission for Phone Link to access it. Once that is done Phone Link is allowed to access my phone any time even when the screen is locked. Naturally, my phone has to be in my home and powered on for this to work. Also, WiFi and Bluetooth need to be on.

When viewing photos at the bottom of the screen is "Showing up to 2000 photos and screenshots you've taken on your phone.". I only see that about 1300 photos plus an unknown number of screenshots are shown. The exact number is not important because I feel overwhelmed because it shows no information about individual photos or screenshots. I wish they would have separated the two. I find Phone Link most useful for recent photos and screenshots that I want to drag and drop onto my computer desktop. Beyond that it is easier to deal with the photos, screenshots, and albums by connecting my phone to my computer with a USB cable and browsing through them with Windows File Explorer.

I can also send and receive phone calls and text messages using Phone Link. Receiving text messages is really nice when I log onto a web site that wants to verify my identity by sending me a text message, After it is sent Phone Link, which is running in the background, causes a pop up notification on my computer screen. That is much easier than having to go find my phone and read it there.

Using Phone Link I can also view my phone screen and navigate the screens. I can also run any app on the phone and see it on my computer. At first I wondered why I wasn't hearing and sound. I solved that by pairing the phone with my computer via Bluetooth.

In conclusion, I find viewing and copying photos and screenshots using Phone Link is only useful for those that are fairly recent ones. Other than that retrieving text messages is the only other feature of Phone Link to be really useful.

MisterEd, Oct 6, 2022
  3. Kari Win User
    Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

Kari, Oct 6, 2022
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft sends a text to the phone number with a code that you then have to enter to recover your password. They have to be able to receive the actual text message, not just have the phone number.

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2022
Thema:

RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

1. RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos - Similar Threads - RESOLVED Phone Link

2. Phone Link adding Phantom Phone number in Messages.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link adding Phantom Phone number in Messages.: Windows 10 x64 pro and Phone Link app are up to date. Phone link is added a extra phone number when texting to users.If I send a text from phone galazy z fold 4 it goes out normally.Responses, etc.. all normal from phone.If I respond to that text via Phone Link , sometimes a...
  3. Phone Link adding Phantom Phone number in Messages.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone Link adding Phantom Phone number in Messages.: Windows 10 x64 pro and Phone Link app are up to date. Phone link is added a extra phone number when texting to users.If I send a text from phone galazy z fold 4 it goes out normally.Responses, etc.. all normal from phone.If I respond to that text via Phone Link , sometimes a...
  4. Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos: I know this has been an issue a number of times. They keep resolving the issue and then it comes back. I have been using Phone Link for quite a while. In the last year the number of numbers I have to keep editing and re-syncing is stupid. I have had to use a few different...
  5. Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos: I know this has been an issue a number of times. They keep resolving the issue and then it comes back. I have been using Phone Link for quite a while. In the last year the number of numbers I have to keep editing and re-syncing is stupid. I have had to use a few different...
  6. Phone Link displays some phone numbers instead of names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link displays some phone numbers instead of names: In the Messages section, a few of my contacts suddenly only appear with their phone numbers.This started last week. The contacts were displayed correctly with their names earlier.I see that this was a problem for some folks 2 years ago...now it's happening to me.It might have...
  7. Phone Link displays some phone numbers instead of names

Phone Link displays some phone numbers instead of names: In the Messages section, a few of my contacts suddenly only appear with their phone numbers.This started last week. The contacts were displayed correctly with their names earlier.I see that this was a problem for some folks 2 years ago...now it's happening to me.It might have...
  8. RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos

RESOLVED: Phone Link "Messages" shows phone numbers, not names and photos: I use Phone Link on my Windows 11 PC to text message through my Samsung S22+ phone. I use the desktop Outlook client on my PC and have my Outlook contacts synchronize with the Samsung Contacts app on my phone. A couple of months ago, I began to notice that the names and...
  9. Phone-Link Not Showing Photos From Previous Phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone-Link Not Showing Photos From Previous Phone: Although all my old photos transferred successfully to my new Samsung S22 Ultra phone, none of those photos appear under the Phone Link "Photos" tab on my computer when I connect Phone to PC. Selecting Refresh does nothing. Only new photos taken on the new phone show up. How...
  10. Phone-Link Not Showing Photos From Previous Phone

Phone-Link Not Showing Photos From Previous Phone: Although all my old photos transferred successfully to my new Samsung S22 Ultra phone, none of those photos appear under the Phone Link "Photos" tab on my computer when I connect Phone to PC. Selecting Refresh does nothing. Only new photos taken on the new phone show up. How...