Windows 10: [RESOLVED] Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

Discus and support [RESOLVED] Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I'm having an issue where my Portable Hard Drive Brand is Seagate to be exact will only appear in device manager. I believe this had happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CallumAnthony, Aug 16, 2020.

1. [RESOLVED] Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

Hi! I'm having an issue where my Portable Hard Drive Brand is Seagate to be exact will only appear in device manager.

I believe this had happened when I formatted for Xbox back in ~October 2019 and uninstalled a game off it later on.

I don't know how to reformat this and I can't find help on Seagate's website.

Nothing appears in Disk Information on device manager either.

:)

CallumAnthony, Aug 16, 2020
  2. Pozzie Win User

Folder contents disappear from portable hard drive

Hi

I am transferring files from a couple of computers (-all WIN 10, 1803 build) to a portable NTFS hard drive. I have regularly done this before, so its not new and I have not had issues.

But on 2 recent occasions, after a cut and paste from an internal computer hard drive, a duplicate folder has appeared in the hard portable drive, and the contents of the original folder on that portable hard drive have disappeared: the message is the "folder
    is empty". However, when I right click and open "properties" of that original folder, the number of files and the data is definitely not zero and is comparable to all of the prior contents.

I have read up about NTFS folder/file ownership and permissions and have re-assigned both in case I had stuffed this up at another time (The files were coming from different 'owners'). But no help: I cannot access nor even list the missing files.

I have run anti-virus : no issues.

Any suggestions to recover these files would be much appreciated.

Pozzie, Aug 16, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Portable hard drive and windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting
    portable hard drive in Windows 10.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the hard drive getting detected on the computer?

• Do you face any issue while using other USB devices?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Missing Windows Update.

2. USB port is damaged.

3. Damaged hardware.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows Key.

b) Type Troubleshooting in the search box and hit
    Enter.

c) Click on Hardware and sound.

d) Click on Hardware and device and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and also latest chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website. You may also try connecting the hard drive to a different USB port.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

[RESOLVED] Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

[RESOLVED] Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

1. [RESOLVED] Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer - Similar Threads - RESOLVED Portable Hard

2. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  3. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  4. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  5. Portable hard drive and accessing files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive and accessing files: I have located my portable hard drive on my laptop Windows 10, but I'm struggling to locate the files. I've tried the "hidden files" option but all I see is my hard drive icon. Can anyone help me to view the files? Thanks...
  6. Portable hard drive

Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  7. Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer: Hi! I'm having an issue where my Portable Hard Drive Brand is Seagate to be exact will only appear in device manager. I believe this had happened when I formatted for Xbox back in ~October 2019 and uninstalled a game off it later on. I don't know how to reformat this and...
  8. Portable hard disk drive won't show up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Portable hard disk drive won't show up in file explorer: Hello I have a Dell portable hdd that has segate ST1000LM024 HDD but it won't open in file explorer but I opened it It works fine the lights are on and there is sound of the cd inside the hdd running....
  9. Hard drive does not appear in Explorer

Hard drive does not appear in Explorer: Windows 10 - unable to see Seagate hard drive. SSD drive appears and Windows is loaded on it. Drive appears in BIOS setting. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-does-not-appear-in-explorer/9d6f53c4-d841-454e-a5de-034823cddf0a
  10. External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

External hard drive not appearing in file explorer: my windows 7 laptop died (no power). I purchase new windows 10 laptop and am attempting to read my former hard drive by making it an external drive. It is recognized as a device but I cannot view any of the files in file explorer. I am just attempting to recover some recent...