Windows 10: Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2?

Discus and support Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; # Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2 I am currently on the `Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SamuelLudwig, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2?

# Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2

I am currently on the `Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 18922.rs_prerelease`, and am trying to install a Linux distribution to access via Windows Subsystem for Linux (2). I have tried this for both the Ubuntu and Debian distros and have encountered the same error in each.

I have successfully downloaded both distros from the Microsoft store, but when I try to first "run" the Ubuntu or Debian "app" the respective console comes up and prints the following text:

Installing, this may take a few minutes...
    WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102
    Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed.

Press any key to continue...

Pressing a key at this point automatically exits the console.

---

## Additional information:

- Using the `wsl -l` command shows no installed distros.

- I do have Hypervisor installed and running `bcdedit` does show that `hypervisorlaunchtype` is set to `Auto` in the `Windows Boot Loader` section.

- I did previously have Ubuntu installed and working under WSL 1 before switching to the Windows Insider Program Fast Ring and gaining access to WSL 2, but I was encountering another issue when trying to have it use WSL 2. After trying to use the command `wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2` I was met with a request to "Enable the Virtual Machine Platform". I had already run `Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform` prior, according to the official microsoft tutorial here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-install, but for good measure I did it again and got the same error, and Ubuntu was still on version 1 (I haven't explicitly mentioned it but I was restarting/shutting down when requested/suggested by windows and tutorials, so I don't believe me not restarting is a cause). In hopes to find a workaround, I ended up uninstalling Ubuntu and hoping I could reinstall it and have it obey the default defined by the `wsl --set-default-version 2` command (suffice it to say, this did not go as I'd hoped).

- This might be an unrelated issue, but when I initially attempted reinstalling Ubuntu, the Microsoft store had a bit of a fit and could not complete the download- encountering an 'unknown error'. I did a restart, tried again, and got the same error, but then after telling it to 'try again' it succeeded. I had no such issues installing Debian from the store.

---

## Suggestions Welcome

I've searched for a bit and can't find mention of this error code in particular anywhere else.

In addition, is there anywhere I can look up/access these error codes in any sort of documentation? Ideally so I can make a better informed work-around attempt before bothering you all on here.

All help is appreciated!

:)

SamuelLudwig, Jun 22, 2019

2. Alternatives to using Windows Store to install Linux distro on WSL

I just wanted to ask what alternatives there are to using the Windows 10 to install Linux distros on WSL.

Also, it seems like Ubuntu 19 isn't available for the WSL. Is there a chance that we'll be able to install it when WSL2 is released? And I'd like to get the latest non-LTS version if possible (though it's alright if it's not possible too).

OsmanZakir, Jun 22, 2019
  3. Alternatives to using Windows Store to install Linux distro on WSL

Thanks for the reply.

I got the distro named "Ubuntu" from the Store. I already had another one but there were problems with it (I installed Node but trying to use it gave me an error saying that there's no such command and that I should install it using Apt), so I wanted to
    get a fresh distribution of Ubuntu on the WSL to see if that would solve the issue.

OsmanZakir, Jun 22, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2?

Sideloading Custom Linux Distro to Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux

Source: Open Sourcing a WSL Sample for Linux Distribution Maintainers and Sideloading Custom Linux Distributions Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2?

1. Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2? - Similar Threads - Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error

2. Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102: Hi everyone! I have the following problem: I have to use Docker, and to do that I need to install at least one distribution on wsl2. The problem is that I can't install any of them on wsl 2 although yes on wsl 1 and it gives me this error : WslRegisterDistribution failed with...
  3. Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102: Hi everyone! I have the following problem: I have to use Docker, and to do that I need to install at least one distribution on wsl2. The problem is that I can't install any of them on wsl 2 although yes on wsl 1 and it gives me this error : WslRegisterDistribution failed with...
  4. Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102: Hello! I have this problem: i have to use docker, and to do that i need a distro installed on wsl 2. The problem is that i can install distros on wsl 1 but when i try with wsl 2 i got this error: WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102.I tried all the guides i...
  6. Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102: Hello! I have this problem: i have to use docker, and to do that i need a distro installed on wsl 2. The problem is that i can install distros on wsl 1 but when i try with wsl 2 i got this error: WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102.I tried all the guides i...
  7. Cannot install any distros on WSL 2 with WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

8. Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL

Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL: I am trying to install Ubuntu WSL on Windows 10.I used the command wsl --installand it appeared to be working, but when I opened up Ubuntu, I saw this screen:Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Please enable the...
  9. Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL: I am trying to install Ubuntu WSL on Windows 10.I used the command wsl --installand it appeared to be working, but when I opened up Ubuntu, I saw this screen:Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Please enable the...
  10. Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

2. 0x80370102

3. ubuntu installing error 0x80370102

4. qemu wslregisterdistribution failed with error: 0x80370102error: 0x80370102 the virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed.,
  5. wsl windows 10 error 0x80370102,
  6. installing this may take a few minutes...wslregisterdistribution failed with error: 0x80370102error: 0x80370102 the virtual machine could not be started because a required feature,
  7. wsl 1 0x80370102,
  8. wslregisterdistribution failed with error: 0x80370102error: 0x80370102 the virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed.,
  9. Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed,
  10. WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Error: 0x80370102 ????????????????????????????,
  11. wsl install error 0x80370102,
  12. 0x80370102 wsl2 help,
  13. windows 10 ubuntu error 0x80370102