Windows 10: Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX

Discus and support Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry to post outside the the thread My biggest problem is that once I post to Microsoft Community, I can never find the thread again, even if I search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AnthonyGiorgianni1, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX

Sorry to post outside the the thread My biggest problem is that once I post to Microsoft Community, I can never find the thread again, even if I search by my name or the thread title. I get email responses, but if I respond to them, they get rejected. If anyone responds with the original thread, if anyone can find it, I'll report there.

But I wanted to thank Juliana and BulldogXX for replying to my recent post "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?"

To Juliana, in response to your suggestion, which was:

To disable Windows updates follow the step below.

1.Click the Windows + R keys
    2.In the Run type: services.msc
    3.Search for Windows Update and double-click
    4.In startup type, switch to Disabled
    5. Click on Apply then on Ok
    6.Restart the computer.

It didn't work.

Any other ideas? I lost work yet again when I walked away from the computer and it tried to update while I was away and then blue screened see below

To BulldogXX see your response below

What you are saying makes sense in theory. But Windows is now updating and then restarts and blue screens, and I have to roll back using RollbackRx to before the update and go through the process again and again and again. Yesterday, I walked away form the computer and it restarted. Not only did it come back as blue screen, but I lost a major piece of work I spent hours on!!! It already has tried to update three times today.

I may be in the minority, but that doesn't make sense to me. I never saw Windows 10 advertised as having mandatory updates that don't work or that cause blue screens,. I do have Vista on my old Toshiba. And it was so problem-free. Interesting, I have another Thinkpad W530. And it can't update either. They same goes with my wife's Lenovo and my friend's Dell latops. They don't blue screen, but the updates fail. And the thing is you have to wait while the update tries. It is such a waste of time.

Microsoft really advertised that this would happen? If so, I'm surprised anyone opted for Win 10.

BulldogXX's original response

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]While Windows 10 was in development, Microsoft publicized the ways it would be different from all earlier versions of Windows, and this was widely discussed in the media at the time. One of the most important differences was in the way updates would work.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]All earlier versions of Windows consisted of a finished operating system that would be updated over time to fix problems as they were discovered and add security protection. By contrast, Windows 10 consists of a continuous stream of updates that build the operating system. The updates are the operating system. As a result, updating is critical to Windows 10, which is why Microsoft works hard to see that they are delivered.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]I'm sorry that you weren't aware of this when you got Windows 10, but it's never been a secret. Windows 10 is behaving exactly as advertised - you just don't like it that way. Published 'solutions' for stopping updates do so by interfering with the operating system, which has its own consequences.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Your choices are to stay with Windows 10 or to use something else. But I think you'll find that more and more software is being built this way, because it makes sense.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Thanks again to you both.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Anthony Giorgianni[/COLOR]

:)

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Apr 4, 2021
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Apr 4, 2021
  3. RCoon Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX

1. Respost "Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?" Juliana and BulldogXX - Similar Threads - Respost Stop updating

2. Permanently Stop Windows 10 from updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permanently Stop Windows 10 from updating: I want to completely disable windows 10 from updating. Windows update constantly wastes my time and stops running programs to update only to show an error message saying it can not complete the changes and has to revert to the old settings. It will not allow me to set the 7...
  3. Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?

Stop Windows 10 from updating ever?: Hello All Windows 10 Professional x64 Version 1709 build 16299.1087 I have ongoing problems with Windows update and I'm trying to turn it off permanently, if possible. I've had many, many instances in which Windows has tried to update - version 20H2, Version 1903 and...
  4. How to stop completely auto updates in Windows 10? Windows 10 the worst operating system ever.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop completely auto updates in Windows 10? Windows 10 the worst operating system ever.: How can I stop completely absolutely totally forever everlasting getting terrible auto update on Windows 10? I just want to have a simple user-friendly way to turn updates off. I don't need any updates from microsoft. When will the next build with this feature included?...
  5. Worst windows update ever

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Worst windows update ever: Hi, I know it is quite complicated process to update a piece of software and end-up having more bugs for each time you update. I've been using windows since i am using the computer itself but, I've never been so fed up with the OS and made me to reach out here. I lost my 2TB...
  6. STOP windows 10 from rebooting windows update

STOP windows 10 from rebooting windows update: Please Microsoft, stop windows 10 from installing windows update and rebooting automatically. Let ME choose! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-windows-10-from-rebooting-windows-update/c7fbbe51-69ef-4900-8746-ef5b371958b4
  7. How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?

How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?: I sometimes come back to my computer after a break or in the morning to see that all my programs have been closed down and all my work discarded. I have lost half a dozen unsaved text files with notes and to-do lists. I would have lost hours of client work because of this, if...
  8. Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Windows 10 from restarting after updates: Hi. In the office we need our systems on 24/7 because we're constantly rendering images and animations. A night of a system not chugging away can cost us a deadline and client. I have to stop Windows from shutting down and/or restarting whenever it wants to. We don't want...
  9. Stop Win-10 from updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Win-10 from updating: I'm the type of user that likes to keep web pages open and un-saved text on my desktop. These are left open only for a day and then saved or deleted at day's end. I have the Windows update set to Ask Me but it doesn't and goes ahead with a full update and reboot. It use to...
  10. Stop Win-10 from updating

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Win-10 from updating: I'm the type of user that likes to keep web pages open and un-saved text on my desktop. These are left open only for a day and then saved or deleted at day's end. I have the Windows update set to Ask Me but it doesn't and goes ahead with a full update and reboot. It use to...