Windows 10: Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

Discus and support Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JamesKarpiuk, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

Event log shows windows update causing a restart:

The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned
    Reason Code: 0x80020010
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment:

Less than one minute later event log shows OS has initiated a shutdown:

The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.

Shutdown Reason: Kernel API

I have tried disabling Fast Startup under power options with no help.

Running shutdown /r /t 0 causes a shutdown.

Running shutdown /s /t 0 causes restart.

:)

JamesKarpiuk, Jan 16, 2020
  2. Midnite8 Win User

Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

First update pack was successful and I can shutdown and restart normally.

Midnite8, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

do the 1st update pack only and do the individual updates after that, ensure you can restart/shutdown etc

eidairaman1, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Midnite8 Win User

Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

Hey guys, I am having this problem where I cannot Restart or Shutdown unless I just do a hard shutdown. I refreshed my computer and slowly installed updates while creating restore points before installing. After the second set of updates everything seemed ok but after a few, the problem showed up again. I tried to do a System Restore but it fails because I cannot Restart to complete the process.

Midnite8, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

1. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart - Similar Threads - Restart causes shutdown

2. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  3. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  4. Restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart or shutdown: I have seen a lot of Windows users don't shutdown or restart thier PCs at least at the end of the day and that creates some of low performance or not responding to some commands. I keep telling them please restart it or shutdown so the O.S will re-arrange it's files and fixes...
  5. Computer randomly freezes causing a force shutdown/restart

Computer randomly freezes causing a force shutdown/restart: My computer randomly freezes causing me to have to force a shutdown or restart. There is no malware and I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome. I noticed this started happening after the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter was removed in version 1809. My NVIDIA...
  6. Windows 10 1903 causing PC to shutdown and restart

Windows 10 1903 causing PC to shutdown and restart: Since I have had the 1903 update, my PC frequently just shuts down and restarts. Often it does not even complete re restart cycle before it happens again. I have even reset the PC in the hopes of resolving the problem. The issue is still around but not as frequent. I...
  7. DDE Server causes continual error on shutdown or restart of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DDE Server causes continual error on shutdown or restart of Windows: Every time I shut down or restart Windows I get the following error: ----------------------------- DDE Server Window: explorer.exe Application error The instruction at Dx00007FF6D6004F97 referenced memory at 0x00000000000000BB. The memory could not be read....
  8. restart shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restart shutdown: hello, Im just having one problem with win 10 The restart shuts down my computer and I don't have this problem on linux mint can someone point me to a solution. I have tried to turn off hibernation and it seemed to be working for a little while ,but now it just shuts down...
  9. Samsung mobile drivers causing shutdown and restart issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung mobile drivers causing shutdown and restart issue: When I plug my Samsung Galaxy 6S into my computer, it installs drivers. After that, just about every time I try to shut the computer down, it hangs...for 10 or 15 minutes. Then, it reboots. The only way I can get it to shut down is to do a hard stop with the power button....
  10. Event Viewer Service causing Shutdown/Restart slowdown.

in Windows 10 Support
    Event Viewer Service causing Shutdown/Restart slowdown.: So, I'm having a really weird issue. I have a pc with a win10 Pro. It was upgraded from Windows 8. Still in windows 8 the shutdown and the restart took like 10 minutes each time. Upgraded to 10 expecting this not to happen.. It still does.. After alot of search, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe has initiated the restart of computer on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned) Reason Code: 0x8002001