Windows 10: Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

Discus and support Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I reset Windows today, and now I can't get the process described in Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 to work properly. I downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by gregyurkon, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

I reset Windows today, and now I can't get the process described in Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 to work properly. I downloaded the ZIP file, I move the BAT file to Windows\System32, I double-clicked the REG file, and the "Restart Explorer" item appears in the menu, but when I select it all I get is this:

Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 [​IMG]

I made sure that the BAT file and explorer.exe were in the correct folder and that they were spelled correctly. I don't really know what the BAT and REG files should look like, but I couldn't find any glaringly obvious errors.

(Also, I just discovered that it's possible for a message to get posted while you're still typing it.)

gregyurkon, Apr 21, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Greg, *Smile

It's still working fine for me, so let's see if we can figure out what went wrong for you. As a test, only run the .bat file to see if it works for you since this is what the context menu runs from inside the System32 folder.

Brink, Apr 21, 2016
  3. I left out that I tried that, and the batch file closes Explorer, and launches File Explorer. It occurred to me while typing this that I should try uninstalling CubicExplorer to see what happens.

gregyurkon, Apr 21, 2016
  4. flybynite Win User

Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

Thanks for the tutorial. I whittled it down to this though. Code: taskkill /f /im explorer.exe start explorer.exe exit[/quote]

flybynite, Apr 21, 2016
  5. I unregistered CubicExplorer, added the menu item, and it worked. It still works even after registering CE as the default File Manager again. I don't know what went wrong, but it's not wrong now.

gregyurkon, Apr 21, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Greg. I'm glad you got it sorted. *Smile

Brink, Apr 21, 2016
  7. Double Win User
    Hmm.. seems that when Windows Explorer freezes up, the right-click menu is inaccessible, just when I need it most. I wonder if there are any alternatives or workarounds to this.

Double, Apr 28, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 28, 2016
  9. Double Win User
    That's what I've been doing, but is there a quicker alternative to doing it the Task Manager way? I wouldn't mind a desktop shortcut if it was possible to restart it from there. I actually created a thread about this around a week ago lol *Smile

Double, Apr 28, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Place a link on the desktop to the batch file Brink provided via his tutorial in a previous post in this thread.

Ztruker, Apr 28, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Something strange just happened, and the Restart Explorer Context Menu fixed it:

I rebooted my system, and first noticed that Edge didn't work, I got some error, like "the program associated with bla bla bla".

Then I tried the Start Menu nothing!
    Win-X right click...nothing!
    File Explorer... nothing!

Well, I didn't think of Ctrl alt delete at the time, and wondered how can I reboot?
    Then I right clicked my desktop and saw Restart Explore, and tried it on a whim.
    It worked!
    Everything went back to normal.

I never had a system hiccup like this before, but if all UWP apps suddenly stop working, and the Start Menu too, give this a try.

Cliff S, Jun 25, 2016
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    That's one of Shawn's goodies. Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Jun 25, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

That's where we are now*Wink
    I posted it here 1.) To let Shawn and others know how this, helped during a hiccup. And 2.) in case the same thing happens to someone else, Shawn and any other subscribers will know to recommend restarting FE, to try recovering, before going on to the big guns.

Cliff S, Jun 25, 2016
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    OOPS!! That's what happens when you don't read the whole thread! *Redface

f14tomcat, Jun 25, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    That's ok. This morning my time, I had been reading some text from Doug, and a short time later rep'd Dino, and wrote Doug's name*Roflmao2
    As you cannot change the text(be very careful what you write when repping) I had to ask Shawn to fix it.
    We all get Brain Farts every once & awhile
    Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jun 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Restart Explorer Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restart Explorer Context

2. How to add Restart Start Menu to Context Menu on Desktop

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Restart Start Menu to Context Menu on Desktop: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 v1903 Update introduced several new features and enhancements. One of the under the hood changes is the separation of the Start Menu from the Explorer process. It is now an independent process. This process can be seen in [...] This post How to...
  3. Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Restart Start Menu to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10 The Start menu contains shortcuts of all your apps, settings, and files. Starting with Windows 10 build 18317, Microsoft separated...
  4. History - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    History - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: History - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add History to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save...
  5. Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 Restart will close all apps, sign out all users, and full shutdown and restart (reboot) the PC. Starting with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Old behavior: - When...
  6. Add HomeGroup to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add HomeGroup to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add HomeGroup to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream...
  7. Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Cleanup to Context Menu of Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use Disk Cleanup to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can help your PC run faster. It can delete...
  8. Add Settings to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Settings to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Settings to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Settings context menu in Windows 10 Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Phone, Network & Internet,...
  9. Add Bluetooth context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Bluetooth context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Bluetooth context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove a Bluetooth context menu in Windows 10 There are many different types of Bluetooth enabled devices you can add to your PC, such as mobile phones, wireless headsets, and wireless mouse devices and...
  10. Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Email to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use Email from the Share tab in the ribbon of File Explorer by default when you have files and/or folders selected. It allows you to send the...