Windows 10: Restart Issues, Star Menu Critical Error, and more...

Discus and support Restart Issues, Star Menu Critical Error, and more... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm just going to write down all the issues I have been having with this computer since I bought it; 1) Unable to restart, sometimes gets stuck on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Olijebwa Mayuka, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Restart Issues, Star Menu Critical Error, and more...

I'm just going to write down all the issues I have been having with this computer since I bought it;

1) Unable to restart, sometimes gets stuck on windows update (if there is one), and even if there isn't an update, it will still get stuck on the restart window and force me to reboot it manually

2) Start menu does not work, I get the 'critical error' message every time. (Sometimes it does start working but 90% of the time it isn't working).

3) The bottom right icons (volume, network, etc. ) do not respond to left clicks, and are only accessible with right clicks.

4) I've tried following many guides on the forums but most of the time I end up with a permissions error that the guide does not cover. I removed the association to my hotmail account and converted my user to a local user and that seems to actually solve the problem I was having here.

5) On every boot, there's a message saying "can't read this type of file: .cpp", can't remember the exact message but it's something along those lines.

6) I contacted microsoft and they did a remote session with me; they said that by installing the windows 10 update, it would solve all my problems. The windows 10 update does not give me the option to keep my files, and I DO NOT want to lose any files. They also wanted to create a bootable instead but that also meant losing my files on my USB which I have nowhere else to back up (that usb IS my backup.. smh). The guy I was working with did not seem to know exactly what he was doing, he nearly deleted all my files twice.

7) Folder sort-by settings are reset every time I open a new window.

Now that I got the permissions thing working, I'm going to continue following the guide and see if I can solve the start menu problem. I know there are probably a lot of threads that have the same issues as I do but I just can't find the solutions I need.

I have also tried creating a new user on the same computer and the start menu works there perfectly but I don't know if it's possible to migrate all my files to that user and delete this current one without losing any of my things.

Thanks,
    Olijebwa

:)

Olijebwa Mayuka, Aug 15, 2016
  2. yogeskkk Win User

cortana and start menu failure

My cortana and star menu shows me critical error second time after it been fix a week before pllllllZzz fix itt

yogeskkk, Aug 15, 2016
  3. Critical error your Star menu does not work

When Clicking Start menu, apears this Advice " Critical error your Star menu does not work " W'ill try to correct it in the next sesion. how can i deal with this?

OmarHMartinez, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Restart Issues, Star Menu Critical Error, and more...

Update: The registry edit after I solved the permissions issue did not fix issues 2 and 7 as I thought they would.

Olijebwa Mayuka, Aug 15, 2016
Thema:

Restart Issues, Star Menu Critical Error, and more...

1. Restart Issues, Star Menu Critical Error, and more... - Similar Threads - Restart Issues Star

2. Start menu Critical Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu Critical Error: I’ve recently gotten my 500gb 860 evo ssd and installed windows on but ever since I got it I’ve been getting this Message “Your start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in” it’s been like this for a day or so, any solution to fix this would be...
  3. Start menu critical error

Start menu critical error: Hello people, for about 2 days now I have been trying to fix this issue to no avail.. every time I try to interact with the start menu I get a critical error saying "Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. I have tried booting in and out...
  4. Critical Error - Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  5. Start menu critical error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu critical error: Hello I have a problem with my start menu on one of the accounts on my pc. Tried the powershell commands, tried reinstaling third party antivirus also chkdsk and many more stuff. I need that account and I dont want to create a new one so please give me a fix that works...
  6. Start Menu Critical Error

Start Menu Critical Error: Hello all, In the last 24 hours, my brother's Windows 10 PC has been returning a critical error message (the start menu and cortana aren't working) and asking the user account to log out. We've been through a number of methods found on forums to try to fix this, including:...
  7. pin more items to star menu

pin more items to star menu: using windows 10 1903 pro i would like to pin more to the star menu, instead of the usual nine items i don't mind swithing to small icons (i even prefere it), nor using a third party software is there a way to do this? idk if it is important info, but i'm currently...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Critical Error Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Start Menu Critical Error Issue: I saw somewhere that I could remove the Revast Antivirus that can be found in the Control Panel to fix this problem. The issue is that I can't find it. I really do help fast since my livelihood depends on this computer working. tx g 24301
  9. start menu - critical error

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu - critical error: When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on. The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it...
  10. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    critical error start menu: Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but...